Weekly Menu Planning – July 2023

Let’s use this thread to share concise weekly dinner menus for each week in July. It’s helpful if you can include your location and how many people you are feeding. Links to recipes are always appreciated, and sources help. We all know plans can change, so it’s fine (practically expected) when your week gets rearranged from your posted plan. You may choose to report actuals for the prior week to share ideas with others.

Will you be cooking in a different kitchen while on vacation this month? Any succssful campfire / camping meal ideas to share? What are your favorite “beat the heat” meal techniques? Stovetop recipes, salad extravaganzas, picnics at the park? Or just let someone else cook (spouse doing the grilling outdoors, restaurant meals or delivery).

The June discussion is still available for reporting the last week and follow-ups.

Reminder – Keep your comments menu / food related. And in the interest of faster viewing times, please use the knife&fork under a comment to indicate you liked it or want to echo what was said by another, rather than posting a separate comment.

3 Likes

It’s a slightly weird week at Casa Harters. We’re just back from holiday, so nothing organised and , during the week, Mrs H is having surgery (should be home same day but will be a while till she’s back to top form)). So, plans may change but this is what we’re shopping for today

Friday - tortilla, salad, bread

Saturday - roast chicken , gravy, spuds and veg , apricot stuffing (discovered in freezer this morning). Eton Mess for “afters”

Sunday - spicy lamb sausages (merguez-ish from local butcher), vegetable tagine, couscous

Monday - salmon, spuds (maybe there will still be Jersey Royals) veg (maybe there will be fresh peas or broad beans)

Tuesday - pasta puttanesca

Wednesday - surgery day. Maybe takeaway. Maybe cheese on toast for Mrs H. Maybe gammon steaks, croquette potatoes, veg (all in freezer)

Thursday- savoury ducks, onion gravy, mashed potato, butter beans (tin)

14 Likes

Hope all goes well.

4 Likes

Busy week for both of us, so I’ll let Trader Joe’s do the heavy lifting again.

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Starting off with TJ’s chocolate croissants.

S: (tonight) Instead of takeout, we are throwing together a simple snacking dinner: toasted sourdough, peppered salami, gouda, cheddar, grapes, apple, cashews, pickles

Su: TJ’s carnitas, avocado, salsa, cheddar on tortillas

M: TJ’s pesto chicken atop TJ’s butter lettuce salad kit, with bread - salad

T: Italian sausage, onions, peppers on rolls, chips

W: TJ’s roasted red pepper and tomato soup, served with bread, before an evening event - vegetarian

Th: Pasta with leftover pesto chicken, spinach, and parmesan.

F: Fish tacos - seafood

Have a good week!

14 Likes

Hi, friends. Why does it always wait till the weekend, and an almost-3-day weekend, to rain?? Grrr… Cooking for two adults and an almost-teen in the Boston burbs.

We had a low/high trip to the grocery store this morning. Wegmans announced about a month ago that they are closing the store closest to us (Natick, MA) this summer due to low volume. I’m still in denial, and was saddened to see non-food shelves empty and signs throughout directing customers to visit other nearby locations (which aren’t nearby) or Instacart. BUT the fancy cheese department had many varieties on sale for 50% off. I had to tell DH to put down the 6.4-lb block of Irish Cheddar (only $51!) and pick a normal sized one. We came home with 6 kinds of cheese, only one of which was actually on the shopping list.

Sun: chicken fajitas, refried beans, salad

Mon: mochiko fried chicken (NYT, but I’ll bake rather than frying as directed) sweet potato fries, vegetable tbd

Tues: burgers, watermelon-tomato-feta salad (hold the watermelon for DS, possibly deconstructed for DH who is skeptical and didn’t buy my argument that tomatoes are fruit so it’s just fruit salad). I need to make burger buns for myself and I’m really hoping it stops raining so the baking chemistry works!

Weds: IP spaghetti and meatballs, asparagus. This will be DS’s first day of summer drama workshop, and I’m hoping that all the drama stays on the stage! Also my first day of a planned 3+ weeks of working in the office every day (at least, between 9:15 and 2:45). It’s been more than 3 years since I have worked not-at-home for more than 2 days in a row…

Thurs: whatever fish I find in the freezer with corn and tomatoes and browned butter (Dinner in One, more or less)

Fri: tbd

10 Likes

Hi everyone

Peak monsoon in these parts, making me crave fried things and hot tea constantly. The best mangoes are gone, but the juicing mangoes are keeping us going lol. Cooking for 3-4, including one recuperating vegetarian.

I only managed to work in two of last week’s plan ideas into actuals given what people were in the mood for:

• Sushi bowls (spicy shrimp, avocado, wasabi cabbage slaw, sesame carrots, seaweed snacks)
  • Cannelloni (spinach, ricotta, Marcella-inspired tomato sauce)

We also ate:

Moving a few things to next week, and a few other ideas:

• Sushi bowls (yep, at least weekly now :smiley:)
  • Pizza with homemade crust for a change (also needs to become a weekly feature I think)
  • Gambas al ajillo, pan amb tomate on homemade bread, tortilla, alioli
  • Bulgogi bowls (beef, garlic spinach, sesame carrots, fried egg, gochujang)
  • Lamb ribs (a la Dad or Sichuan / cumin)
  • Oyako Donburi
  • Chicken or shrimp quesadillas, Mexican rice

Wish you all a good week!

12 Likes

I love a watermelon feta salad!

4 Likes

Hi everyone, cooking for 3 in Chapel Hill, NC. Fairly relaxing week before the travel craziness of July starts on Thursday. Here’s what we ate:

Mon: crunchy black bean soyrizo subs with avocado (R. Bayliss).

Tues: LLD cooked, grilled swordfish (perfectly cooked, amazing), mashers, salad

Wed: farfalle with spicy turkey sausage, butternut squash, and sage. Made this up and loved it.

Thurs: carry out burritos

Fri: beef and broccoli lo mein. Lulu is working at the cooking school again this summer and brought home puff pastry treats for dessert.

Sat: family date, sushi

Sun: LLD is making tuna tacos with guacamole and homemade pico

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

12 Likes

Greetings, People.

Full-on summer in our neck of the woods. Things are moving at a leisurely pace this year (not always the case), and life is good with plenty of time to enjoy it.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Italian-inspired focaccia sandwiches. NYT’s spring minestrone.

SAT: Leftover smoked tri-tip. Carbs and veg of some sort, with NYT’s chive and basil green sauce.

SUN: NYT’s rosemary-paprika chicken and fries - a sheet-pan dinner (I use two cast-iron skillets). Veg TBD.

MON: Panko-crusted halibut – either tacos or fish-wich. Veg TBD.

TUE: Chicken-zucchini patties – either meatballs or burgers. Veg TBD.

WED: Leftover Kiymali Ispanak with lamb. Yogurt sauce. Green beans. Pita.

THUR: Pizza. Salad.

10 Likes

Yes, it should be summer in northwest England. Which, of course, means we should be having weather as warm as it gets on this small, cold damp island. And last month was the overall hottest June ever recorded. But, for the last couple of mornings, the heating system has clicked on and it’s been very wet. So, no steer from the weather as to what to cook. So, I’m going with what I find easy as I am in charge of the kitchen until chef is fully recovered from her surgery yesterday

Thursday - gammon steaks with a mustard/honey/orange sauce, croquette spuds, steamed cabbage. Cheese for “afters”.

Friday - savoury ducks (moved from last list), spuds, veg, onion gravy. Note to foreigners - savoury ducks do not have duck in them. Made from pork offal, these are known as faggots elsewhere in the country (stop giggling at the back).

Saturday - Lemon sole goujons & tartare sauce. Chicken & butternut squash pie (not an actual pie - more a stew with slices of crisped ciabatta as a topping). Green veg. Soft fruit and ice cream

Sunday - Roast tomato tart. Salad

Monday - Pork meatballs & pasta

Tuesday - Courgette, broad bean and mint pilaf (Nigel Slater recipe)

Wednesday - out

11 Likes

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Starting off with challah purchased from a bakery.

S: (tonight) takeout - red beef and bean burrito with guacamole.

Su: Pasta with lemony cream sauce, spinach, peas, and shrimp - seafood

M: French toast (made with aforementioned challah) topped with blueberries, served with scrambled eggs - vegetarian

T: Salad mix with TJs toasted sesame dressing, topped with purchased potstickers - salad

W: Dinner out before an event

Th: Tostadas (beans, leftover carnitas from freezer, cheese, guacamole, salsa)

F: Orange chicken and veggies (from freezer) with noodles

Have a good week!

12 Likes

Actuals for July 3 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we’re having chilly 60 F mornings and moderate (for summer…) daytime temps while headlines blare about “warmest worldwide days ever”. YMMV. I baked muffins 2 days in a row and oven-roasted main dishes twice. Not shown are lunches using up previously frozen commercial and homemade mains.

Mon: Tossed (bag) salad with added cherry tomatoes & cucumber, Greek-seasoned skillet chicken, naan bread
Tues: Mushroom Swiss burgers, deli Potato salad, coleslaw, tossed salad
BAKED Morning Glory muffins
Wed lunch/Thurs dinner: Pork chop with Margaritaville burger seasoning, zucchini/feta baked bundtlet, sliced orange. Wed side - Farro/haloumi/zucchini/apricot casserole, Thurs side - mashed potatoes
BAKED Rhubarb orange pecan muffins
Thurs lunch/Fri Dinner: Oven beef stew w carrots, potatoes, green beans. Breads.
Sat & reheat Sun: Oven BBQ Country style ribs w onion, Corn on the cob, Fresh peaches w/ vanilla ice cream

11 Likes

Hi everyone! I took Lulu to the airport early this morning, and LLD is visiting his mother, so I’m ready for a week of fun with the dog as company. I’m almost finished with The Bear, considering Queen Charlotte as my next “I get to watch whatever I want” series, but open to suggestions if you’ve got them. Here’s what we ate this week:

Sun: LLD made tuna tacos with guacamole and homemade pico. Delicious.

Mon: sausage vindaloo with potatoes and greens, basmati

Tues: chicken fricassee with mushrooms and leeks, French rolls

Wed: Canadian-born LLD decided I hadn’t done the holiday right (he was correct) so he made burgers (mine Impossible), tater tots, and salad

Thurs: LLD flew out, so we started Beanapalooza with black bean tacos with feta and cabbage. Lulu had a friend to dinner, which was fun

Fri: burrito bowl for me, burrito for Lulu

Sat: rice and chickpeas with tahini sauce and dill

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

13 Likes

Have you watched The Diplomat on Netflix? It’s fun.

1 Like

Hi, everyone. Feeding three in the Boston burbs. The big event this week is that as of Tuesday, I will be the mom of a teenager! Yikes! I am NOT emotionally ready for this…

Sun: fried grouper, corn on the cob, green beans

Mon: chicken burgers - I was thinking of Buffalo-ing them but haven’t really thought through this (hot sauce and Jack cheese?), carrots/celery, chips. I have GF burger buns proofing as we speak - fingers crossed they turn out okay!

Tues: out for the big 1-3 (probably for barbecue)

Weds: Greek-ish chicken, tomato/feta salad (basically, chicken souvlaki minus the pita and tzatziki…)

Thurs: IP mac and cheese, peas for them / zucchini for me

Fri: SK steak/noodle salad, https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/06/garlic-lime-steak-and-noodle-salad/

12 Likes

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Suggestions for “I get to watch whatever I want” series

Hi everyone

Still cooking for 3 to 4, including one recuperating, vegetarian senior.

Actuals still varied quite a bit from plan based on interest / appetite:

Ideas for this week:

• Sushi bowls (spicy shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms, avocado, furikake)
  • Bulgogi bowls (beef, garlic spinach, sesame carrots, gochujang)
  • Thai green curry (chicken for us, mixed veg & paneer for mom)
  • Crepes (florentine for mom, chicken & mushrooms for us)
  • Oyako Donburi
  • Spanish tortilla, chorizo, alioli (pasta for mom)
  • Steak, potatoes (mashed or scalloped), tbd veg (spinach? asparagus? mushrooms?)

Ongoing wishlist

Have a lovely week.

11 Likes

Still cooking for two in a warm, if damp, northwest England. Upcoming -

Thursday - kielbasa, sauerkraut, spuds, anything else that’s lurking in the fridge and seems right thrown into a fry-up

Friday - ratatouille and white fish

Satruday - steak, butterhead lettuce, sourdough. Cheese

Sunday - Lamb koftas, chopped salad, tzatziki, khobez bread (bought)

Monday - chickpea curry & aubergine curry. Both from the freezer brown gloop drawer. Rice. Homemade chutney

Tuesday - freekeh with peppers. Chicken breasts. A Nigel Slater recipe - fourth one down on this link

Wednesday - out. Possibly our favourite Cantonese place in Chinatown

12 Likes

Folks - I’ve asked Mods for help to move the “what shows to watch” discussion elsewhere.

Happy for the mods to simply delete any of my remarks considered off-topic for the thread.