Suggestions for “I get to watch whatever I want” series

@LulusMom1

1 Like

If you have Apple, I highly recommend The Afterparty (season 2 comes out this week). https://tv.apple.com/us/show/the-afterparty/umc.cmc.5wg8cnigwrkfzbdruaufzb6b0

2 Likes

All three of us loved Dark Winds, season 1, 6 episodes…based on the Tony Hillerman mysteries in the southwest (Navajo) with Native American actors. Season 2 starts streaming at the end of July. The narrative, acting, scenery, cultural context were all very compelling for us. Definitely on the dark, emotional side. I have been reading the Tony Hillerman mysteries for a long time and the older adult male here and I have visited New Mexico several times; I was more surprised that the younger adult male here was very moved by it.

I hope you have a great week with the dog, and the a/c keeps functioning!

3 Likes

I’ve watched the first episode, but that’s one I need to save to watch with LLD. Thanks though - definitely on my radar.

Oh, this sounds fun, and definitely like something I will enjoy. Thanks so much for the tip!

1 Like

Thanks Madrid! LLD is a mystery fan so maybe I’ll keep that one for when he’s around. It sounds interesting, and I imagine it has some good scenery. Where can I find it?

1 Like

" Currently you are able to watch “Dark Winds - Season 1” streaming on AMC Plus Apple TV Channel , AMC+ Amazon Channel, Shudder, Sundance Now, Spectrum On Demand, AMC+ Roku Premium Channel, Acorn TV or for free with ads on The Roku Channel ."

1 Like

Re watching, some ideas on this thread

Have you seen Gilded Age (HBO) yet? Julian Fellowes, set in New York.

There’s also some good Masterpiece shows (you can watch whole seasons with PBS passport), both period and other. For eg I’ve enjoyed Grantchester for a bit of fluff with mystery, but there are plenty of others (Durrels in Corfu has a lovely setting for eg).

If you’re open to foreign shows, Made in Heaven on Amazon is very good (I think it’s available in English audio) — about a pair of wedding planners in India, each episode centered on a wedding they’re organizing (so — Indian wedding palooza) and what’s going on behind the scenes in terms of the lives of the couple or their families (which can range from sweet to sordid), and a season arc about he planners’ own lives. (There’s a second season coming this year, can’t wait.)

5 Likes

It’s Amazon Prime. I looked it up on the very handy Just Watch app, which I recommend. You can search for a TV show or movie, and it will tell you on which platforms it is streaming, and how much it costs if it is a rental title.

2 Likes

Originally Gilded Age was on my list, but a friend recently told me she didn’t like it, or any of the characters. I assume you disagree? It certainly seems like something I’d like.

We love Grantchester - again, I feel like mysteries are shows I should keep for sharing with LLD, so I’m sort of trying to stay away from that for now, but will definitely put on the list to watch with him.

I just finished watching Indian Matchmaking, so Made in Heaven might be perfect! Thank you!

2 Likes

Gilded age is very different from Downton, so if someone was expecting that because it’s Julian Fellowes, I can see how they’d be disappointed.

Given your affinity for NYC I think you’d enjoy it. It’s a look into life and money and fitting in in the day — old money, new money, society, and the highs and lows of all that. (Watching again with my mom now, because I thought she’s enjoy the scenes and views of a city she loves.)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

You can’t think about it too deeply. Plus, the first vicar was, let’s face it, the (trying to think of a nice way to put this) most tempting.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I just finished Durrels in Corfu on Netflix. Loved it.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

When the vicar switched, the series should probably have ended – for the reason @LulusMom1 mentioned (new guy not as “tempting” nor as much of a personal disaster lol) but also the stories got so much weaker, and the friendship with the detective less believable.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Midsomer. And yes, we’ve had the Leonard hullabaloo.

We’re finally at the point where Lulu isn’t as interested in watching tv with us, so we get to watch stuff that she’s not up for. We have a lot of catching up to do.

I’ve tried to get into Midsomer before and couldn’t Maybe I’ll try again.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes