What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Went to Raines Law Room many years ago. Drinks were good, but once we saw a ginormous cockroach slowly climb up one of those separator curtains, we paid up & went elsewhere.

Too bad.
Cockroaches are everywhere in NYC. I remember going to a really good chef-driven restaurant in Alphabet City in the late 90s, and seeing cockroaches scurrying across the street as we left. Not inside while we were eating, thankfully.
Seeing a cockroach inside a restaurant or bar is definitely off-putting. I remember seeing one at a Toby’s Good Eats on the Mink Mile stretch of Bloor Street in Toronto, and I never went back to that location.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d rather be aware of their existence than made aware.

2 Likes

Nothing like a trip to the big city for a birthday celebration!

1 Like

^^ Love this :laughing:

Late lunch/early dinner and drinks is one of my favorite ways to celebrate. Feels extra festive somehow. Happy birthday!

4 Likes

No-recipe-needed-anymore Umami Noodles and a first attempt at Sichuan Cumin Chicken.

Noodles tonight were flat Chinese wheat noodles (really nice quality, they don’t overcook, and keep their spring and bite), vegetables were onions, carrots, and cabbage (I forgot to order mushrooms, and then I double forgot to use the rehydrated black and woodear mushrooms in the freezer), and umami agents were miso, soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, maggi sauce, and bouillon powder. There was also lots of garlic, some butter, and some sesame oil.

For the chicken, I used whole and ground cumin, Sichuan doubanjiang, chilli oil with Sichuan peppercorns (because I couldn’t remember where I put the actual peppercorns when I got here), aromatics, and cilantro stems (because SOMEbody who is not me used up the cilantro I ordered and didn’t order more).

Mom especially enjoyed the noodles and remarked that it’s been a long time since we ate them. She also had a mug of the soup from the ramen soup the other day on the side (because this silly gal forgot to make her something to go with the noodles).

26 Likes

Many happy returns on the next trip around the sun!:sunny:

1 Like

Saturday’s dinner was my favorite trifecta - pasta with asparagus, morels, and fava beans all fresh and local!
Pasta with asparagus morels and favas

24 Likes

That looks great!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Ingredient envy :heart_eyes::yum:

1 Like

Happiest of birthdays @gcaggiano!

Fraunces tavern is indeed atmospheric. Clink to your old fashioned :tumbler_glass: (even though there still isn’t an emoji for clinking anything other than beer or champagne).

4 Likes

Mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haven’t used it in awhile - had to cut some vines away! We cranked up our Big Green Egg this morning and put a 10 lb. pork shoulder on at 275 for a little over 8 hours. Used a rub we bought from the same place we bought the bag of hardwood charcoal. Took it off about an hour ago and shredded it - shared some with our neighbor. Most of it is going into the freezer but will save enough for a couple of dinners tonight and tomorrow. Will warm it with BBQ sauce, put it on buttered griddled buns and have sides of Cole slaw and corn on the cob.

31 Likes

From top to bottom

Onion roll (top)
Panko crusted onion ring
Provolone and cheddar cheese
Beef
Bacon
Pickles
Onion roll (bottom half)

Capture.PNG

29 Likes

Jerk chicken fried rice, night 2, using lessons learned from last night: even more veggies, different pan, higher heat = even better.

Gratuitous pic of the view from my vacation rental:

Family in from Arizona next week…

28 Likes

Happy Birthday!!! :birthday::gift::confetti_ball::us::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Down home cooking here tonight. Sautéed smoked sausage with cabbage. Cornbread with jalapeños and sharp cheddar. Plenty of butter. The fresh out of the garden heirloom tomato, onion and pepper salad doused with olive oil, s&p is his. Homemade pecan pie for dessert. Next time I’ll remember to spray the pie plate with cooking spray before using my usual Pillsbury store bought crust so it doesn’t stick. No fireworks in the neighborhood yet. Usually everyone gets an early start to the 4th.

24 Likes

Duck legs with lingonberry sauce tonight. Parsnip-celery-gruyere gratin, braised new potatoes, sautéed Swiss chard, Waldorf salad, Maritimes-style baked beans from a can (molasses), and COTC. Pecan pie from Farm Boy grocery store for dessert.

14 Likes

my sister and I grilled on Saturday, chicken thighs two ways: Peruvian, and the other with a NYT yogurt/herb marinade, all bl/sl thighs - turned out super juicy. I made aji verde for the Peruvian thighs, lemon for the other. There was also a flap steak marinated in red wine vinegar and garlic, with chimichurri. Corn on the cob too, plus my new favorite - The Jennifer Anniston Salad :joy: with a few modifications: Bulger, cukes, garbanzos, cilantro, pistachios, shallot, cukes, mint, feta, lemon juice, s&p, olive oil. Made a ton of meats for future tacos/SALADS.

grilled chicken dinner

The chicken that marinated in 2% greek yogurt for only about 3 hours turned out super tender, almost falling apart, and with a deliciously creamy texture. BF made a salad with that chicken last night.

and tonight:

Little Peruvian chicken street tacos:

chicken chicken and more chicken!

31 Likes