What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

Pastrami sammiches with Katz’s pastrami, deli mustard & rye from a gift a dear friend sent during The Recent Shit Times. Side of Aldi potato skins from the air-fryer that were dry AF and flavorless until we added a blob of sour cream and TJ’s smoky chile seasoning. A real health food night at casa lingua :rofl:

Sichuan jour fixe tonight with 14 fellow chile heads - our last before departing for Berlin. Should be fun.

22 Likes

Did the cornflake coating add any sweetness?

1 Like

These are Rainier cherries, a variety developed here in Washington State. This is the first year our trees have produced. The fruit on our trees doesn’t get as big as the stuff grown commercially, but we’re really pleased with the outcome.

Regrettably, the birds will get most of it, but we’re going to pick what we can while we can.

3 Likes

They’re beautiful! Gotta keep ahead of those birds! Best of luck!
We have the Lambert, Lapin and Stella varities here but it’ll be close to another month before they’re ready at 3010’ and we gotta get ahead of the bears.
I had one snoopin’ around here the other day. It looked rather sad; it must have just been kicked out by mama bear.

Bears! Big job!

We have a couple of Lapins, also. Love them, but they’re a few weeks out yet, as well.

And then we have an older row of Montmorency cherries (the ones in my avatar). The birds seem to let them be, at least during the pie-making stage. Hope to be picking those soon. :pie:

2 Likes

Sushi bowls for dinner for the 2nd time in a week, by request. Takes a little prep (like bibimbap, which I keep meaning to make as well) but so delicious and hits the spot.

I made a wasabi mayo cabbage slaw, carrots sautéed till just-tender with sesame oil, prawns in spicy mayo using chilli crisp, and avocado (check this out about the many-weeks-old avocado).

For sushi rice I used a medium-grain local varietal that cooks up better than my sushi rice at home :joy:

Plated a bit sloppily, but it got mixed up a minute later and eaten as handrolls in seaweed snacks, so I don’t feel so bad !

I predict we will eat almost this same composition again in less than a week :smiley:

Mom had leftover pizza.

19 Likes

That is just a thing of beauty right there.

Are you in NYC? How do you get pastrami from Katz to use at home? I’m over in NJ now but I’ve been a lot of times, but really have been just going for “me need sandwich now”. Can you actually just order slabs of pastrami?

That’s super inspiring. I bought a little sushi kit and I have a couple of books, plus I work near a Wegmans which has some premium fish. It’s been warm but raining constantly and humid when it isn’t raining, so this may inspire me to pull together a nice summer comfort food sushi bowl this week.

1 Like

This was a very generous gift package sent to me through Goldbelly. I don’t think you can ‘just’ order pastrami, but check them out. If you don’t mind ordering pastrami all the way from NYC to the west coast (no free shipping).

sorry for the delay, but here are his notes:

1 cup dried chick peas soaked over night in plenty of water then drained and rinsed.
1 cup parsley
1 cup cilantro
1 serrano chili ( I’m sure any green chili will work at a comparable amount).
3 cloves garlic (minced).
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (I added more to taste because, you know - Maria).
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp blk pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp chick pea/fava flour (though some recipes don’t use any flour and others say any flour is OK).

I ran all the produce through the food processor to a fine but choppy grind (but not a paste) then mixed the dry goods in by hand in a bowl.

My falafels were a little bit smaller than a golf ball and deep fried at 350 degrees 2 to 3 minutes or until the outsides got dark brown and crispy. In a later preparation I made the same balls and flattened them for pan frying in less oil.

Reference recipes:

9 Likes

Thanks! :hugs:

Yum, I love a sushi bowl!

1 Like

Looks great, thank you.

2 Likes

Me, too.

@Ishie1013 Katz’s ships directly, with free shipping over $100 (which isn’t that hard at $38/lb).

2 Likes

Whoda tunk! Thanks for the input, I’d never order from there for myself (BTDT kinda thing, plus I’m close enough to visit). It’s pretty good pastrami, for sure, but I don’t have many comparisons.

1 Like

That’s what pastrami should look like! A thing of beauty.

2 Likes

Nice n fatty. I might have to turn it into a hash for lunch on Thursday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never thought of pastrami as a “been there done that” (I had to look up what you meant) category of thing :joy:— to me it’s like char siu or xlb or a slice that I crave now and then vs a 1-time curiosity, but of course mileage (and context) varies.

My first boss used to take us to drinks at a divey irish pub around the corner from the office and order large trays of pastrami and corned beef sandwiches to offset the booze. Booze and bread were crap, meat was delicious.

(Btw @Ishie1013 said they’re in NJ)

1 Like

That boss sounds like a dream of a first! I def like it over corned beef (yes, even Katz’s corned beef that I found overly salty this time around). I mean I wouldn’t push it out of bed if it were offered to me, and I’d love to try other places in the city that make a good pastrami that aren’t overrun by everyone and their uncle :wink:

I don’t know why I thought they’re on the West Coast. They live closer than I do :rofl:

1 Like