What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Jerk chicken tacos made with leftover jerk chicken legs, red onion, crema, and El Yucateco Caribbean hot sauce.

25 Likes

White tail deer sausage with bean

s .locally made garlic and dill sauerkraut . Its really fabulous .

24 Likes

Cod with sorrel sauce and thyme. I didn’t trust the sorrel sauce to be wet enough, and as a result I made it too wet. Eh. Still pretty good.

Lettuce with tarragon vinaigrette.

All greens grown by me! Hyper-local ftw.

24 Likes

A friend DMed me this weekend to tell me she had found a sorrel plant for me that she bought at a farmer’s market near her, as she knows of my desire to have and be unable to find it around me. I’ve only had it a couple of times - once at a cooking demonstration by Chef Jody Adams (Boston’s Rialto) at an old Kitchen Etc. store that I happened to go in to. Love the lemony buzz it gives!

5 Likes

It’s growing really well! I love schav, and I was getting annoyed at having to pay $5/bunch for sorrel (don’t ask me why - I seem to be fine with $8/lb asparagus). Now I have a very nice supply!

4 Likes

Pizza night!

And this lazy gal finally made the dough from scratch (instead of using the ready discs that are easily available).

Used Roberta’s recipe for the dough but with AP instead of 00 (can’t bring myself to pay the 10x premium here for 00 even though it’s available). Started 3 days ago, balled up and left in the fridge to age.

I was very disorganized tonight in terms of prep and toppings because we had mom’s physiotherapist and her doctor visit at exactly the same time before dinner because one came late and the other early, so then I entertained one while the other visited with her and sis. (Worth it, though, to have her pepped up and encouraged like only a good doctor can do.)

Fun experiment tonight was to try the pan-fried method for the crust (I saw it mentioned somewhere as a Bittman method, but maybe it’s more common like no knead dough).

Worked like an absolute charm, and so much quicker (and more energy efficient for my current location) than the oven! I’m definitely going to go this route again.

Pie 1: Tomato sauce, marinated red onions, artichokes, olives, cheese (our beloved Amul tonight because no one remembered to order mozzarella)

Pie 2: Pesto, Robiola

Pie 3: Tomato sauce, marinated red onions, prosciutto on half, same as #1 on the other half

Pie 4: Inverted potato, onion, rosemary, cheese (which I added by mistake in my rush so mom could have a taste before she got full)

26 Likes

Thank you, LindaWhit.

1 Like

Still in using what’s handy mode here. Last night I made chickpea and spinach coconut curry, along with raita, mango salad, rice, and some crispy roasted cauliflower. Need to eat more vegetarian dishes.

21 Likes

Maria,

A little off-topic – this is the chair in case you’re interested: ( I’m very happy with it. Thank you for your kind comment)

1 Like

Burrito bowls! The last of the braised beef and some slow cooked pinto beans, with cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime.

22 Likes

My favorite taco cut, hands down.

1 Like

That all sounds and looks so good!!

Tonight we had tacos and more lettuce wraps with the leftover bo ssam. It’s better with the Korean condiments and lettuce, we agreed. Sauteed zucchini with leftover shishitos, Badia Adobo, and Tajín.

Last night was a scrounge - pork egg rolls (Aldi) and leftover mac salad for me.

22 Likes

The big J requested the butterscotch budino from Nancy Silverton’s Chi Spacca cookbook tonight. Looking at the ingredients I was afraid it was going to be a cloying sugarfest, but boy, was I wrong. A butterscotch pudding base using darkly caramelized brown sugar was topped with a thick caramel sauce which was then lightly sprinkled with fleur de sel. These layers were topped with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream that was mixed with a bit of sour cream for a light tang. Since the sugars in both cooked layers were caramelized, the sweetness was completely toned down. The bit of sourness from the whipped cream took it down even more. This is a sophisticated dessert. It is also extremely decadent and rich. I made a half recipe; the original is supposed to serve 6 to 8. I believe a half recipe could easily serve 6. This is definitely an impressive make again.

We topped our own servings with the cream, because I knew that there was no way the whole dessert was going to be finished tonight. Looking forward to dessert again tomorrow!

28 Likes

Beef fajitas for four and all the fixings (actually just two) with plenty of leftovers

Also, does anyone out there need some tomatoes? He loves them and I won’t touch them with a ten foot pile. Just my luck it’s a rare bumper crop this year.

21 Likes

I vote for all 4!

1 Like

Applewood-smoked tri-tip on the grill. Spinach gratin. Carrot slaw. Grilled zucchini.

Veggies from the garden.

31 Likes

My “gourmet” burger. Buttered and toasted French sandwich roll, on the bottom red leaf lettuce, red onion, prime beef patty seared in bacon grease and bacon. On the top mashed avocado and blue cheese. Leftover potato salad. Dessert was my once every summer treat, a root beer float.

28 Likes

‘Loaded burger’ comes to mind.

1 Like

Mushroom-Swiss Chard Quesadilla (made with white mushrooms, Swiss chard, onion, garlic, ground coriander, Monterey Jack and cilantro). Served with some “Mexican” crema (made from sour cream, mayonnaise, milk and line juice)

18 Likes