What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Please share when you do! I was trying to figure it out from a picture in the link and I’m sure it could use a tweak. I added tomatoes after I took the picture.

1 Like

Though rain was predicted, the weather stayed nice and I decided to grill. Jerk chicken using my usual recipe but instead of individual spices I used a package of jerk season I bought at a little African/Caribbean store I recently stumbled upon. The mix was “ok” but I’ll probably save it for emergencies rather than use it on a regular basis. Served with sautéed cabbage, plantain chips and rice. I though I has some red beans left in the freezer but didn’t so I mixed the rice with a can of Lebanese ful I had in the pantry.

21 Likes

Lol. I have a pile of spice mix samples I’m saving for “the armeggedon”.

8 Likes

Wow! Bravo!! :pinched_fingers: :clap:

I had some fresh vegetables that were starting to “age” a bit and I didn’t want them going bad, so I made up Pasta-Veggie Bake. I kind of got the idea from a Tuna Noodle Bake/Casserole. I went through my recipe binder (casserole section) and just “cherry picked” what ingredients I wanted to use. I didn’t have any frozen peas in stock, though… so I had to use canned peas. All in all, a fairly tasty dinner. Sunshine seemed to enjoy it, although I know she would have preferred to have some form of meat in it.

20 Likes

Chinese for dinner tonight.

Crisp garlic fried rice, braised pork ribs (freezer, leftovers), stir-fried cauliflower, plus small serving of matchstick potatoes for mom.

22 Likes

A rare mini-chowmeet amongst three prolific foodie ex-chowhounders friends at O’mei. ( SkylineR33, HK traveller and Charles Yu )

Ordered a pound of live BC spotted prawns, prepared with onion and house special top-soy sauce to augment a few Dim Sum dishes…Har Gow, Fried Taro Croquettes with Minced Pork, Baked BBQ Pork Buns, Claypot-Rice with sun dried Squid, Water Chestnut and minced Pork Patty on Rice. ( too busy chatting, forgot to take a photo )

Shared a bottles of 2020 Dr. Loosen GG Bernkasteler Lay off-dry Riesling. ( Fresh, Floral, Citrusy and Nice Balance )

Maybe today’s meet occurs after a holiday long-weekend, when most of the head chefs are having their day-off…food quality was only passable and shy of their normally renowned high standard?!

27 Likes

Looking good!

I’m sorry the food wasn’t what you hoped for, but the pictures look delightful!

1 Like

Too bloody hot to do any actual cooking, so I grabbed a rotisserie chicken from Farm Boy(Canada’s answer to TJ’S?) Side salad with pickled veg and tomatoes with some St Hubert bbq dipping sauce.
Bird was tasty, but not Costco tasty and the sauce helped lubricate the white meat, which I’m not a big fan of. Rest of the chicken will be used up in various variations.

25 Likes

Our last dinner stateside was with friends who bid us farewell at a favorite place in town. I inhaled the tabasco-leek butter broiled oysters before taking a pic; their Caesar with hangar steak was very good as well :yum:

Had 3 Calvados 75 to wash it all down. Delish.

Currently sitting at EWR en route to Berlin… if we ever start boarding :flushed:

25 Likes

Just a quiet evening in for 2, on this rainy July 4th. I made a large batch each of smoky tomatillo salsa (smoky from dried Morita Chiles) and pimiento cheese. Half the salsa was eaten tonight; the other half will be the base of some braised beef tomorrow. We had half the pimiento cheese tonight, with the other half going to the freezer for future munchies. Lots of tortilla chips with both. IPA for him and Sauvignon Blanc for me!

29 Likes

Hope everyone had a safe and happy Independence Day. My town’s fireworks were last night, and Finny made it through with flying colors (unlike previous years). :cat:

Quiet day for me. It gave me time to prep things for dinner.

Bacon cheeseburger on a toasted Brioche bun (ketchup on the bottom), COTC, coleslaw with added grated carrots, and deviled eggs with mayo, pickle relish and what I’m calling “bacon dust” (ultra-finely minced bacon).

There was a tall Vodka and Lemonade as the libation, and there will be some gingery peach cobbler for dessert later…maybe with salted caramel ice cream; maybe with fresh whipped cream, maybe nekkid and as-is. Will see what I’m in the mood for.

Finny at rest tonight, happy the boom-boom-booms are done in our area.

33 Likes

I am a week and a half into a two week staycation. Not many posts here lately since dinners keep getting rearranged/replaced. Today was successful foodwise since I had an impromptu lunch with an out of town friend. We had burritos for lunch - sorry no pictures since we were getting caught up in each other’s news and somebody ~ ahem ~ forgot to take pictures. We went for a stroll after until my friend asked to stop for an iced coffee so we accidentally stumbled into my favourite gelato place. “Why yes gelato places DO have iced coffee” I said :rofl: “And whaddayaknow they DO have iced coffee” I said,) Ironically they have the chocolate gelato I was craving so it was a win-win situation! I also remembered where we parked and I don’t drive :slight_smile: I was too full for a full dinner tonight so I had a salmon fillet with a salad of spring mix capers, and cherry tomatoes with an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Pictured below is the really big small gelato I had this afternoon and rhe salmon fillet I had wirh it.

26 Likes

Bacon dust…I like that description! Our Owen (the 15+# black cat) has been doing better this year with the firework noise. The true test is after dark tonight…

4 Likes

We’re having leftovers from last night - pulled pork sandwiches, Cole slaw and COTC. We just had a serious thunderstorm move through that dropped 1.25" of rain on us pretty fast. Our two Aussies were chill, even though the blue eyed guy is reactionary to our smoke detector and shakes like a leaf when it goes off. Xander on the left, Grady on the right wishing everyone a happy Independence Day

31 Likes

Mention upthread of tuna noodle casserole reminded me that I had a jar of Tonnino tuna on hand so. That was dinner tonight. Used tuna oil instead of butter for the roux. Milk to make a cream sauce and a splash of white wine… Maybe a half cup of grated Parmesan. S&P. A bit of half & half. Handful of frozen peas and tuna. Al dente bow ties A little starchy water to bring it all together. Topping is buttered bread crumbs from a loaf I made a few days ago. This was really good. And of course my husband’s salad. :slightly_smiling_face:

And here is mine:

30 Likes

All this talk about TNCs are putting in the mood to add that dish to the slate this week!

3 Likes

the char on that! looks scrumptious!

1 Like

omg you’re my hero! @PedroPero - what say you, sammich king?? :rofl:

1 Like