International chicken and rice dishes

There are so many!

I thought i had seen a thead before, but I can’t find it. I am researching this Guyanese version for Christmas 2023.

I have made green seasoning before for other trini dishes, but it usually includes cilantro or culantro .

7 Likes

The Spanish Arroz con Pollo with saffron and olives, nice change from the Puerto Rican or Dominican Arroz con Pollo!

The Spanish version:

Greek rice -stuffed chicken

3 Likes

That’s it!

1 Like

I want to try Hainanese Chicken Rice, still haven’t gotten around to it.

4 Likes

Yes! These folks are usually good.

And since I am on a sous vide kick

3 Likes

(I want to order it :joy:
There’s Thai-style, Singaporean / Malaysian-style and Chinese- styles available in Toronto, as well as a chi chi truffle version at an upscale Modern Chinese restaurant near my apartment)

3 Likes

I recently had it for the first time. It was good, but I can think of umpteen other dishes I like much more. I think I was expecting too much after hearing about it for so long. It’s also not very visually appealing (to me) and for me, especially when it comes to Asian food, appearance is very important. I am happy I tried it, though.

I’m scheduled to go to Penang, Malaysia on January 6th and maybe I’ll try the Malaysian version to see if I like it better.

5 Likes

Definitely try it in Penang. Lucky you!!
[Penang] Heng’s Sri Bahari Hainan Chicken Rice

[Penang, Malaysia] Hainanese chicken rice from Goh Thew Chik, Chulia Street

Penang Chicken search (captures other chicken dishes as well, but more Chicken Rice than when I search Hainan or Hainanese Chicken Rice) .
https://www.hungryonion.org/search?context=topic&context_id=37042&q=Penang%20chicken%20&skip_context=true1

3 Likes

Singapore does Hainanese chicken rice inestimably better than Malaysia. But you do get an idea of what the dish should taste like when you have it in Penang.

If you ever get to Singapore, try these ones:

3 Likes

Thank you! Other than nasi goreng, I’m not sure I’ve ever had any Malaysian food (I guess satay is eaten there, but my brain thinks of that as Indonesian more than another SE Asian cuisine)

I’ll take a look at the threads you posted to get the inside story about khao man gai/Hainanese chicken rice in Penang,

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Thank you! Unfortunately, budgetary restraints will likely cause me to be forced to skip Singapore this time. I currently don’t know where I’ll go after Penang, but MAY take the train down to KL and depart from there. If I do get to Singapore one day, I’ll refer to the links you so kindly posted, though.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Think of Malay food as a sub-set of Indonesian, but with a bit of regional variance.

Please feel free to message me at any time if you have anything to ask.

3 Likes

Thank you for the easy to understand explanation. I’ve always been somewhat intrigued by Penang due to the British colonial influence. I hope I enjoy my stay there.

3 Likes

I had a memorable Goose Maqluba at Damas, nice Syrian restaurant in Montreal. I’m going to try to make something like it tonight with my leftover goose.

3 Likes

This is what immediately came to mind for me too. I enjoy the dish, and love the fragrant garlicky chicken fat rice it’s sometimes served with. I’ve had the Malaysian version, the Chinese version, and the Thai version. My favorite is still the Malaysian version.

1 Like

Sounds delicious! I’ve got it bookmarked.

Pollo y Arroz and a recent new fave, Yassa Chicken (Sengelese baked chicken with rice).

2 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Always wanted to try that Hainan chicken recipe. Seen it on cooking shows so many times. Gotta make that one in '24.

3 Likes

I must try this!

1 Like