[Penang] Heng's Sri Bahari Hainan Chicken Rice

For many Penangites, the ๐™—๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ Hainanese chicken rice in George Town is from the stall operated by Madam Ho Toay Heng inside ๐—ž๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฃ๐—ถ๐—ป kopitiam on the corner of Penang Road and Sri Bahari Road.

First operated by Madam Hoโ€™s father, a true-blue Hainanese emigre from Wen Chang, Hainan Island, whoโ€™d come to Malaya to seek greener pastures - their chicken stall started operating at Kheng Pin in the 1960s, but has recently moved to its own premises on 14, Sri Bahari Road.

Madam Ho, whom many regarded as the โ€œChicken Rice Naziโ€ for her temperamental behaviour, was usually assisted by her more genial husband, Mr Wong Soon Wei.

Nowadays, Madam Ho helps out her son, Wong Wan Foong, at his equally-popular ๐—™๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ดโ€™๐˜€ ๐—›๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—–๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฅ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ on 122H, Hutton Lane, nearby.

Their daughter, Wong Yi Ting, now helms the new ๐—›๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ดโ€™๐˜€ ๐—ฆ๐—ฟ๐—ถ ๐—•๐—ฎ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ถ ๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ ๐—›๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—–๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฅ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ, assisted by her father, Mr Wong.

Still, without a doubt, the best-tasting Hainanese chicken rice weโ€™d come across in Penang.

๐—”๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜€
Hengโ€™s Sri Bahari Road Hainan Chicken Rice
14 Sri Bahari Road, 10050 George Town, Penang
Tel: +6017-461 3506
Opening hours: 10.30am to 3pm Mon to Wed, Fri to Sun. Closed on Thursdays.

10 Likes

Since itโ€™s in Malaysia. Is the chicken โ€™ free-range '?!

Did the Shreds of Ginger and Scallion get a hot Oil shower?

No, the Hainanese donโ€™t do hot oil showers - which sets them apart, culinary-wise, from the Cantonese.

Traditionally, Hainanese poached chicken is served at room temperature, or even cold. The ginger and scallion garnishes will be raw.

4 Likes

Yes, the chicken used here is free-range , more toothsome/chewy compared to the ones we often get in Singapore.

In Singapore, Hainanese chicken rice normally use chickens which are 6-8 weeks old. In Malaysia, chickens would preferably be at least 100 days old before theyโ€™re used for Hainanese chicken rice.

5 Likes

I was disappointed with the Chicken rice we had at โ€™ Singaporeโ€™s Tien-Tien 'โ€ฆmushy, soft, tasteless farm raised version.
Guess, I need to pay you a visit in Malaysia for โ€™ THE REAL THING '!! :yum: :grinning:

2 Likes

Are you familiar with Five Star Kampung Chicken Rice restaurant? This was our final dinner in Katong a few months back. According to the internet: "In Indonesia, the term ayam kampung refer to indigenous chickens that are raised using traditional free range production techniques by almost every household in the village.

Chicken looked quite similiar to the yellow feathered chickens familiar to us back home. I liked that the chicken was served on the bone, as I prefer. DW liked that she can order a tray of Pee Goo to take back to our room for a after dinner nosh. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This surprises me about Singapore chicken! Wasnโ€™t aware these were so young. Young chicken is nice for roasting because it has a bit of fat, but older chicken has more flavour.

Even here in Western Europe, if youโ€™re lucky enough to be able to buy French label rouge chicken, the minimum age is 81 days.

Havenโ€™t made Cantonese white chicken in a while, maybe I should!

3 Likes

Oh yes, itโ€™s good.

1 Like

I still recalled the time we came here together vividly. :joy:

I was just back at Tian Tian a few months ago.

1 Like