Awesome cilantro - your recipes

Same thing :slight_smile:

Here in new jersey you can grow it easily. Just put it in the sun and it grows like a weed. You don’t have to even water it. The rain and sun will take care of everything.

Thanks, some sites explain that coriander is the seed of cilantro.

Yes that is correct. The seeds are generally called coriander while the plant is called cilantro here in the US. Same plant though. It is a leaf used in a lot of Mexican dishes…as well as other countries. The Thai food I eat has a lot of cilantro in many dishes.

Yes, cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander in whatever form and became the most common name for the fresh herb in the US after the several variations on “XXX-Mex” food became so popular here. (A little ironically, a lot of people who like and buy cilantro probably have no idea the “proper” English word for it is coriander. Also slightly ironic because while there is another, unrelated native herb with a similar flavor, coriander per se is an Old World plant that didn’t exist in the pre-Columbian Americas…) Before it became so incredibly popular as “cilantro”, it was often called “Chinese parsley” in mainstream US food-writing (when it was referred to at all, that is…)

1 Like

I’m in NYC and that’s true here also. But only if you grow it in the ground, or in a pretty large raised bed. I’ve had zero luck over the years growing it in pots. It bolts before it ever gets to a decent size, even though it keeps reseeding itself and growing up again. It does grow but I rarely have much to use. Very frustrating since it’s something I use constantly.

1 Like

Green seasoning with cilantro

Do you guys know culantro? It’s like cilantro on steroids, but easier to grow, at least in “tropical” climes. I use cilantro when I can’t get it, but they sometimes have it at the Asian market labeled ngò gai.

Culantro according to Spruce Eats

Culantro according to World Crops

Recipe for sofrito with culantro

2 Likes

Cilantro and white onions chopped together is my favorite condiment for street tacos.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget a Ban-mi sandwich.

2 Likes

Also chimichurri, a bright and vibrant sauce associated with red meat that I find equally nice on veggies, bread, and fish. Drizzle or dip. Choose your own adventure.

5 Likes

What a useful tip about finding culantro. Noted for reference because now I might even be able to source it from a local market. Thanks @shrinkrap!

2 Likes

On this side of La Manche, it’s coriander as it is in France. Most times, there’s no need for further explanation as to whether its leaf or seed, as the context makes it clear. I’ve never quite understood why North Americans use “coriander” for the seed and “cilantro” for the herb leaf - I don’t think they do it with other plants, like fennel, which use both leaf and seed.

Hispanic markets and supermarkets with a sizeable Hispanic clientele carry it around here. It’s one of the key ingredients in recaito.

2 Likes

There isn’t too much better than skirt steak and a good chimichurri in my eyes!

5 Likes

Here in California I do not find it fresh in “Mexican” stores, although you can buy bottled sauces with it. On the east coast I believe it is popular among stores serving folks from Puerto Rico, and it’s called “recao” or something like that. In Florida, and other places with West Indian, especially Trinidadian clientele it’s called “shadow beni”, although I don’t think that is not how it is spelled.

1 Like

For sure…down here near Astoria, I have access to it all and use it all weekly…

2 Likes

Yes, that’s where I am.

I have seen it called recao but mostly it is called culantro around here. Shadow beni I have not seen, I will pay attention next time I’m in a West Indian market.

1 Like

Wow you guys! My daughter moved to Astoria several months ago! Well sometimes it’s called Astoria, sometimes Long Island City.

From The WFD threads it’s obvious I’m a big fan of cilantro- most commonly as a rough chopped pile on salads…
i’ve swapped in cilantro for parsley in tabbouli which is basically a different dish but whatever, very tasty.

Also great in pesto but doesn’t keep that well.

Obviously all mexican food needs lots of fresh cilantro. And any asian noodle soups.

@naf @winecountrygirl i made this soup many times in the year after they published the recipe, i am sure i added more cilantro than the recipe says.
If you don’t have a high powered blender use whatever soft greens instead of the kale, or soup doesn’t get silky smooth. I would often add a can of white beans to add silky texture and make soup more filling.
https://food52.com/recipes/31438-anna-thomas-green-soup

3 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of culantro/recao (coriander’s long-lost “cousin” from the New World) used fresh - to my taste, it’s like using Everclear in place of vodka - but it certainly stands up to being cooked better than coriander. (Also to being dried, for that matter, though that’s relative, since dried “leaf coriander” is basically pointless/useless…)

1 Like

The first place I saw Cilantro was when I moved to Flushing. I smelled it in the Korean vege store and was intoxicated. Now you can find it pretty much everywhere, even here in Westchester!

1 Like