What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

not much of interest chez nous… we went out to dinner last night at hole-in-wall Vietnamese place that I have to review and unfortunately it wasn’t great. But my chicken salad (the same as the BF made me last week) from there was decent - the dressing just needed some oomph/heat.

We had a ton of languishing herbs that needed to be used, so I made kuku sabzi (Persian herby frittata), this time using baking powder as opposed to baking soda like last time (ruined!) - turned out well though i oversalted! I used to make this all the time! Still, edible, so I had a slice tonight with my leftover salad. The BF made himself some sort of soup of odds and ends.

before

after

26 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a quick (throw together) meal. Pasta with andouille sausage in a cream of mushroom soup sauce. Peas on the side as our vegetable.

23 Likes

that soup is something both the BF and I would enjoy…

2 Likes

Grilled ham slice
Local Lima beans I froze in August
Carrots
Green salad with goat cheese and citrus vinaigrette

Then I spent three hours in the basement preparing for tomorrow’s heavy rain (we have … a problem.)

17 Likes

Love black cod done like that! How was the texture of the fish? I’ve only ever done the full 3 days a la Nobu with black cod, though salmon I’ve gone shorter on occasion.

Very neat maki, especially considering the noodles!

2 Likes

Well, thanks to @klyeoh and @Phoenikia , I finally tried a restaurant recommended here on HO !
@Phoenikia had posted this link for me:

of restaurants in Penang/George Town offering exceptional Hainanese Chicken Rice. I chose the one that Peter (@klyeoh) seemed to like best Sri Bahari Hainan Chicken Rice. I ordered a chicken breast with a small bowl of rice. The owner is a lovely and kind lady who beckoned me to the counter to order (I thought someone would come to take my order!) The chicken came with a very basic, but flavorful bowl of chicken soup, a few slices of cucumbers and a dish of a somewhat spicy sauce (thankfully it wasn’t too spicy for me!) The chicken was so moist and tender and there was no sight of the dreaded cilantro/coriander anywhere like there was in Thailand!

Though I had trouble finding the place and had almost given up, I’m glad I persevered and asked some people on the street who pointed the place out to me (there’s no sign with the name!)

The order should have cost RM 8.20/USD $1.77, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, she only charged me RM 7/USD $1.50 ! (And yes, I did question it, but she said RM 7 was the right amount.)

Thanks again @Phoenikia and @klyeoh for helping me find such excellent Hainanese Chicken Rice!

25 Likes

The Hainanese Chicken Rice was actually my lunch (SORRY!) but as I usually don’t eat lunch, for a take away dinner, I went back to the Innland Bakery again. Because it was so good, I wanted to have another char siu pastry but they were sold out of them and the egg tart I got yesterday.

So I bought 2 “Penang Husband Cakes” (槟城老公餅) and a coffee tart. I can read enough Chinese characters to understand the meaning of the name, but that didn’t help me know what the savoryish filling was and checking online was of no help. However, both the “Penang Husband Cake” (RM 5 /USD $1.08 each) and the coffee tart (RM 3.50/USD $0.75) were very good and a nice way to end my meals here in lovely Penang.

19 Likes

I admire your persistence

2 Likes

Good luck with the rain

Tsai only has you marinate overnight, but I think you could take it 2-3 days. The pieces were about 3-4 oz. each because the pin bones were a pain to remove and I ended up cutting them out of the filets. So, with the smaller size, I don’t think it was as impactful marinating for a shorter time. Tasted great!

3 Likes

Butternut squash and black bean chili for a cold Monday night. Served with cheddar and hot pepper biscuits that I had stashed in the freezer (from Farmer Dave’s). Creme fraiche and pepitas to garnish.

20 Likes

Thanks. Ground meat - beef, lamb and/or chicken are so handy to have in case of an “emergency”.

3 Likes

Usually, the “Lou Gong Peng” or “Husband Cake” contains crushed peanuts & sesame seeds, slightly spiced using star anise, and gets its “savoury” taste from fermented red beancurd/ tofu:

4 Likes

I use Rick Moonen’s miso marinated Chilean seabass recipe that popularized the fish back in the late 90’s. I hadn’t made it in years but just a while ago began thinking about it when Mr Bean was bringing home really big striped bass fillets. It calls for marinating the fish for 48 hours. This piece was marinated for about 28 hours - he brought it home at about 2 on Saturday (probably pulled out of the water at 8 am) and we had it at 6 on Sunday.

I’m going to have to try the Ming Tsai and @Saregama’s recommended Nobu versions in the interest of science and good food.

20 Likes

Very happy it worked out!

1 Like

It was much better than I’d expected!

:cry:

2 Likes

That looks great, beautiful colours and I imagine it goes down very well in these cold weathers we’re all having.

2 Likes

Thank you! After eating them and reading that, it makes sense!

1 Like

Thanks to you and @klyeoh , it did!

2 Likes