Salad of The Day (SOTD :tm:) — Did You Eat A Salad Today?

Sounds a lot like green chutney with mango added to sweeten / tame? I bet it would go with lots of things.

Nice combination of vegetables.

Thanks! It did seem very cilantro chutney like as I was making it, yes :slight_smile: Since the mango I used was rehydrated from dried, I didn’t find it particularly noticeable. I used a whole serrano when I made it.

@Amandarama’s Gunpowder salad inspired me to look in the book for something to do with the cabbage I bought (plan was Viet slaw but then I pivoted to Indian for the meal).

So Cabbage and Coconut salad for me tonight.

I would probably call this a slaw, not a salad, but hey that’s the recipe name so potayto potahto.

This was really tasty! Tempering of mustard seeds and urad dal, plus curry leaves (which I forgot) and green chilli. Then cabbage, ginger, and fresh (frozen in my case) grated coconut. Salt, sugar, lemon juice.

7 Likes

I improvised a crunchy salad with ribbons of Savoy cabbage, a grated carrot, green onion and some sliced snow peas.

I made an Americanized Thai peanut dressing for it (recipe https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/thai-crunch-salad-with-peanut-dressing.html#tabrecipehere, but I left out the white sugar and cut the honey to 1TBS) and served it with a grilled chicken thigh on top.

10 Likes

That sounds great.

1 Like

Wait, are you saying a slaw is not a salad?

That looks and sounds loverly!

1 Like

More inspo linked in the OP.

1 Like

I love beets and the one I had in my salad yesterday was delicious. It came in my CSA basket last Thursday and the farm I get my veggies from grows their veggies organically. The taste is far superior to any beet I’ve ever bought in the grocery store.

1 Like

Some varieties of beet have more of the metallic or dirt taste (due to presence of geosmin) that some people dislike.

The beets you liked might have been different variety.

I grow beets, and I purchase them. I find the beets grown to be stored over the winter, that are sold without their tops, are often a type with more of a dirt taste. I find roasting works better than boiling for that type. The winter storage beets also seem to be harder to chop or peel, and take longer to cook until tender, than fresh beets grown in the garden.

2 Likes

Thanks. This item is inspiring me.

1 Like

Nüssli sound so much cuter than Mâche.

Arugula salad with seared tuna/shrimp/pickled vegetables/grape tomatoes and Parm/Regg tossed in a lemon anchovy dressing.

15 Likes

Homegrown lettuce with clementines and spring onion. Dressing adapted from a David Leite recipe: white wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, citrus, chopped cilantro , pepper.

11 Likes

Big Italian salad with tuna. Little gem, red onion, cherry tomatoes, celery, garbanzos beans, green olives, pepperoncini. Dressing was garlic salt paste, rwv, mayo, evoo, oregano.

14 Likes

A quiet Viet cabbage slaw tonight.

Cabbage and ribboned carrots in a nuoc cham dressing with garlic and chilli, with cilantro and mint to finish.

I underestimated the chilli so its a a bit :fire:

15 Likes

I made Korean scallion salad / scallion muchim tonight — love it at k-bbq, and my only single-use tool is the scallion julienning doodad I bought when I discovered it existed :joy:

More of the Viet cabbage slaw was also eaten, bec even a whole bunch of scallions isn’t all that much!

Ingredients for the scallion salad are here from an earlier COTM, Korean American.

11 Likes

Lettuce, basil and radish from the garden, white balsamic and evoo

8 Likes

Two Thai salads from Thai Basil in Sacramento. Not sure why this is a salad rather than a pasta dish , but I enjoyed it!

Curry Beef Noodle Salad

The other was also a beef salad called Yum Nuah

9 Likes