POT ROAST - Fall 2022 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

We had a tight race this quarter - I had the privilege of casting the tie-breaking vote for POT ROAST, this fall’s DOTQ. From Mom’s traditional recipe to modern takes from around the world, I look forward to reading about your best recipes, tips, tricks and more. Happy roasting, HOs!

3 Likes

I’ve been obsessed with the Martha Stewart/Everyday Food pot roast since I discovered it. Absolutely delicious and easy. 8 months out of the year this is a monthly dish for us, at least.

2 Likes

Exciting! I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy (and eat) a hunka hunka meat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

So far in life, my favorite pot roast is the one my mom always made. Top roast with cream of mushroom soup and Lipton’s. A little red wine. She put it in the oven before she left for work and timed it to start later. We came home to the best smell.

P…S…Speaking of pot roast. I can remember when they were a cheap meal. Not anymore. Unless you buy one and get one for a penny. Then you’re at least getting your money’s worth. More or less.

2 Likes

Wait. You need an excuse for a hunka hunka meat?

THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE.

:wink:

1 Like

I have a pot roast in the freezer. Next up is your Mom’s Lemon pot roast. It’s intrigued ever since you posted.

1 Like

Step 1: Accomplished, hunka hunka meat purchased.

Step 2: Underway, Masala Pot Roast / Pakistani Pasanday cooking in the baby PC.

Went all out and started a loaf of bread too, because there’s nothing quite like sopping up that gravy with crusty bread!

(And yes, there will be carbs on carbs for the win — potatoes too!)

6 Likes

MASALA POT ROAST / PAKISTANI PASANDAY

I read a recipe for this last week in a book in which I had flagged lots of recipes but never actually cooked from. It looked simple and delicious, and it’s what I came to mind first when Pot Roast won DOTQ.

The beef (I used chuck) is either cut into large chunks or slices and marinated for a short while with salt, ginger-garlic paste, a few spices, and yogurt. Onions are caramelized in the meantime, then the meat is added and cooked until it’s completely tender. That’s it, easy peasy.

Except… I had a stupid white onion because there were no red or yellow ones available, and instead of caramelizing they turned soggy, and took ages to brown (almost burned during the process). Ugh.

Anyway, it all worked out in the end. I did add potatoes – steak-cut, lightly fried separately so they didn’t fall apart, and added towards the end when the meat was almost done. I ate the pot roast with freshly-baked bread.

Absolutely fantastic, especially on a cold and rainy day. Lots of leftovers which I’m guessing will be even better tomorrow as the spices meld. (I did remove about a third of a cup of fat that was floating on top - visible in the corner.)

14 Likes

I might have missed it - which book is this recipe from?

This one - I probably didn’t mention it because it’s a book by a local Bombay food personality.

This one.

1 Like

Do you think this recipe would be a reasonable guide, adding the onions and potatoes, cutting the meat up smaller, and skipping the meat browning?

The book one seemed much simpler somehow (and was full-flavored).

I don’t have the book but I described the method — I’ll add my estimates for ingredients

Oh wait — I found it courtesy google books.

My adjustments: 2 small red onions, 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, garam masala powder instead of just cloves, no black cumin because I couldn’t find it in my spice stockpile (and it’s already in the garam masala anyway). Yogurt was full fat Greek (iirc I cut back to 1/2 or 3/4c bec indian homemade yogurt is much thinner).

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!

I made this pot roast recently. It was fantastic and flexible. Don’t tell anyone, but I liked it better than my grandmother’s brisket…(Dodging bolt of lightning!)
I hope this link works. I’m gifting it.

3 Likes