What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Went to his now defunct restaurant at the Adlon many moons ago - I think it may have already had a Michelin star at the time. It was a good meal, but when they presented a Japanese melon that was about to be served for dessert with such flourish it was amusing. And yes, I am aware just how prized these fruit are supposed to be. But to me, it tasted like any old melon… at least the 4 small pieces they’d carefully placed along the plate rim. From your description of the pasta I think I might find it a bit on the sweet side. Is it?

1 Like

Club salad WFD last night: the last nub of the iceberg, petite romaine, red & yellow peppers, celery, FM tomatoes, fresh corn. All tossed with SE’s winner of store-bought Caesar dressings, Ken’s “Chef’s Reserve Creamy Caesar with Roasted Garlic” (which I found quite tasty on its own, but didn’t pack enough Caesary punch for me even though I used a LOT of it), then topped with roti chicken breast & Kunzler’s thick-sliced bacon.

I think I’ve all but given up on finding a convenient, TASTY store-bought dressing. Never mind that it didn’t cut down much on prep, as it still prolly took me almost 45 min to chop everything for the salad. Making a dressing would’ve added 5-10 min more, and woulda been better.

Hosted the gang for a movie night to break in our spiffy new projector and screen. Fresh popcorn is a given - surprisingly good from Orville Redenbacher’s!

23 Likes

I’m a little late with this so I’m sharing two dinners in one post. I had intended on making fried rice on Wednesday night but making a batch of rice last weekend with the intention of having leftover rice for Wednesday night never happened. Since I had some ground pork already thawed I made Hot Sesame Noodles With Pork and Scallions from epicurious.

19 Likes

Yesterday I had intended on making a Greek salad but I got tomatoes and corn in my CSA on Thursday so that’s what I had for dinner last night along with half a kohlrabi that I found in the fridge.

19 Likes

It has a good mix of hot, sour, sweet and acidity but I didn’t find it too sweet.

1 Like

Masala pot roast for dinner tonight, second time making this recipe for me, first time eating it for others.

The beef was surprisingly tough — I think it needed to be marinated for a day, my fault for jumping the gun on making this tonight. Still, pressure cooking, baking soda, more pressure cooking later, we ate.

The flavors are lovely for being really quite simple. We ate this with fresh bread from the bread guy and a pile of carrot sticks because I was too lazy to cook a vegetable (other than the potatoes I consider mandatory in the meat).

Mom had her leftover veg and paneer momos (my suggestion, because she enjoyed them so much, and I did not think they would survive a second night in the fridge… we like our midnight snacks).

23 Likes

They were exceptionally wonderful last night, and when the churros were gone, the bartender went to take the dishes away, so I had to grab the two little cups to finish pouring the two sauces down my gullet. :rofl:

11 Likes

Full respect for that!

2 Likes

So. Full.

10 Likes

Someone here (@gcaggiano?) said the Maya Kaimal stuff was good so I bought this for when I needed a zero effort hot meal. Tonight was the night, after dealing with a side swipe from Hurricane Lee and off and on power all day. Quite tasty on rice with lots of cilantro. Scallions would also be good and a scoop of yogurt.

22 Likes

My grandmother used to have a house on Revere Beach, within walking distance of Kelly’s. We’d go every summer. I always had fried clams. We had a chance to get back there a couple of years ago. The neighborhood changed quite drastically but her house and Kelly’s were the same.

9 Likes

Hope you have your power back. The storm kind of fizzled when it passed by us on Cape Cod - scattered power outages but not widespread. I don’t think we even got 2" of rain.

3 Likes

Long day after errands were sidetracked by a nail in a tire with a rapidly deflating PSI. Thankfully, only a single tire had to be replaced. So follow-up errands were quick to fill my freezer and get some veg.

Dinner was already planned: Chicken Cacciatore with 2 BISO chicken thighs patterned after the link below (omitting the chopped carrots), served on egg noodles with steamed green beans.

There was plenty of wine.

https://cafedelites.com/chicken-cacciatore/?

25 Likes

We were invited to dinner at our friends’ place. They grilled marinated chicken (molasses, fish sauce, Sriracha, a few other things) and Japanese rice balls, while we brought smacked spicy cucumbers, egg rolls, corn with miso butter, and baby squash in ponzu-sesame-scallion marinade for the grill. We had dark and stormies, cheese and crackers, and some chips with my homemade salsa to start. We also brought a bottle of tokaj, which went well with the Asian menu. They served ice cream for dessert.

27 Likes

Leftover brisket and roasted root vegetables from my sister’s Rosh Hashanah dinner last night.
Soo delicious, brisket was melt in your mouth tender and moist. So much meats, back to the salad grind tomorrow. :smiley:

28 Likes

DH manning the grill tonight with smash burgers. My contribution was a burger sauce, and chopping up garden veg for a coleslaw and fixings.

20 Likes

Stopped off on the way in tonight and ordered takeout from a new Mexican restaurant.

16 Likes

I tested positive today for Covid and feel like crap. Hoping the bourbon hot toddies let me sleep. All I’ve eaten the last 2 days is a molasses ginger cookie.

5 Likes

Stir fried mountain yams with kobacha squash

12 Likes

That looks refreshing - I need some hydration…