What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Tonight’s dinner will be a Mexican Quiche. I’ll heat it up at halftime. I kind of got the idea from @Stefsteves who mentioned that quiche is a good “catch all” for emptying the crisper drawer. So when I saw beef chorizo on clearance at the grocery store, I grabbed it. I had some Mexican cheese in the freezer, along with the leftover crust (from my first quiche) and half a bag of chopped broccoli. I browned an onion with the chorizo and it all went into the mix.

19 Likes

Sweetcorn puree

Lemongrass ginger reduction

3 Likes

Ooh interesting combination. Did you like it?

Fantastic

Very fall like.

1 Like

Keeping it simple tonight with pantry friendly spicy peanut noodles!

21 Likes

Cooking project for a cold and rainy Sunday, and for DOTQ – Masala Pot Roast / Pakistani Pasanday.

Recipe from the same book as the Chana Pulao last week, and another good outcome, so I’m reading through everything I had flagged in there!

Very simple, and absolutely delicious – lots of caramelized onions, a few spices and aromatics, and a long, slow cook (made faster in the pressure cooker in my case).

I also baked a loaf of bread specifically to eat with this: not my best loaf, but better than the alternative.

23 Likes

Looks inviting - I could dig in!

5 Likes

Short rib rendang. Unfortunately I couldn’t find Makrut lime leaves at Hmart today, but they came through with lemongrass, beautiful fresh galangal and everything else I needed. Steamed broccoli and overcooked brown rice on the side. Cooking rice properly is my nemesis! Still a fabulous meal.

19 Likes

Love rendang – yours looks fabulous!

It’s one of the first things I learned how to make; it was a recipe on the back of whatever chile oil my mom used to buy when I was young. Peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chile oil, and enough hot water (I used the pasta cooking water) to bring it all together. Lots of childhood comfort food vibes off this for me!

7 Likes

Another autumn meal, patterned after a recipe in Nigel Slater’s cookbook “EAT”:

A small center cut pork loin seasoned with olive oil and Vermont Trade Winds’ “Vermont Maple Rub” (lots of pepper in this blend; I love it!) with rough-cut apples, onions, and red and orange bell peppers in the roasting pan, tossed with olive oil. Trader Joe’s Robust Dark maple syrup drizzled over all halfway through, with a bit of white wine added to the pan as the syrup began to caramelize for a “sauce”.

Orzo cooked in pork stock and water, and roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with olive oil, s/p, and drizzled with a balsamic glaze near the end.

Wine.

And more of last night’s gingerbread cake for dessert.

22 Likes

6 Likes

Quickie tonight: American goulash (Italian sausage-beef ragu from the freezer) and buttered broccoli.

17 Likes

Pizza night!

Pepperoni and black olive pan-pizza, with plenty extra for leftovers. On the side: cucumbers, shallots and scallions marinated in vinaigrette.

21 Likes

Paccheri ai ragú di agnello. I had a late epiphany of adding a dash of 5 spice – I was looking for cinnamon, but this caught my eye sooner, and a tiny shake of nutmeg. Perfect flavors for a chilly October eve :blush:

I realize pecorino would’ve been a better fit, but I didn’t think ahead, and so parm had to suffice.

2 helpings and one extra pacchero & sawce :pig_nose: :pig_nose: :pig_nose:

21 Likes

We enjoyed a feast at our favorite Sichuan restaurant. We enjoyed a new dish of hot and spicy blue crab, as well as our favorites of hot and spicy lobster and jumbo prawns, eggplant with garlic sauce, cumin lamb, three pepper chicken, ants climbing a tree and spicy baby wontons with chili oil. There were enough leftovers for 2 more dinners.

17 Likes

That looks really delicious!!! :yum:

1 Like

Bellissima

1 Like

Ropa Vieja - with flank steak cooked in the pressure cooker with onions, garlic, green and red peppers, oregano, cumin, olives and vinegar. Served over rice

17 Likes

Rinse the brown rice if necessary. Pour it into a pot of salted, boiling water. Let it boil, slowly, for 30 minutes. Drain the rice, put it back into the pot, cover, and let it stand, off the flame, for 10 minutes.

2 Likes