Jams, jellies, syrups and chutneys, your beloved recipes

Slightly off topic here but I too make jams, jellies, syrups and chutneys; since I couldn’t find fresh Seville oranges, I ordered a can from Williams Sonoma (hangs head in shame) followed the directions and was very unhappy with the results. Had never had lime chutney so I heard about & ordered Rose’s lime chutney, have to say it’s growing on me. I’m convinced I could make better. Do you have a source for recipes or could you direct me to a cookbook that does? Thankfully I don’t have arthritis in my hands yet, but it’s making itself known in other body parts…

4 Likes

This topic worths a new thread on its own.

A few threads that may help:

More on HO

Time for Whole Preserved Figs…not fig preserves. 10 year chowhound thread anniversary
Hope I’m not breaking rules.

Here is this year’s day one.

Thought it might be interesting to post my canning mania pics from last year. Haven’t made a single thing to preserve this year! Shoulda counted them but started giving them away & did not get a count.

There are jams, syrups & sauces, lots of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauces.

4 Likes

How fortunate! That would last a good while of enjoyment.

I made a quick apricot jam by warming dried but very chewy apricots in boiled water for 10 mins to soften. Then in a fp I whirled the fruit added a pc. of fresh ginger and pineapple mango juice. Once chilled, I had a delicious quick jam for Greek yogurt and desserts. Lasts up to a month but goes much quicker.

1 Like

Thanks for the dried fruit jam idea - will definitely try that @Rooster.

And yes I went a little crazy with all the canning, and despite sharing and gifting a lot, I still have a bunch left. Our friends say they’re coming over here if something catastrophic happens. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Whaaaaaat!???

Here is day four of the preserved figs.

Oooh, they’re looking good @shrinkrap! Did you say this idea is from the Gift of Southern Cooking or was that another item in a different post? I do have that book. We need to move our fig from it’s current location to a warmer sunnier spot. It hasn’t really thrived. Hopefully it will fruit next year.

Yes; for the most part, although I make some adjustments for my mistakes and procrastination.

Gotcha.

1 Like

I’ve beennsearching “can I make jelly from sbrub”? and ended up at Food in Jars-Jellies and Shrubs for the March Mastery Challenge.

No mention of shrub jelly, but a nice reference none the less.

I’ve been making poblano jelly from home grown ripened poblanos for years, and am about to start this years batch, when I noticed all of the homemade shrub, especially tomato, I have aging in my fridge.

I wonder if anyone has thoughts about making a tomato shrub jelly?

I used a cold shrub recipe that is about equal amounts of tomatoes and sugar, and some vinegar added a week or so later.

At this point it has seperated into tomatoes water, and the solids that didn’t get removed witch straining and pressing through cheeses cloth. Not sure if I should mix it first, or try the clear tomato water.

I usually use Pomona, so I guess I can just do sugar to taste.

Re shrub jelly - there’s probably some science around proportion of acid and setting that can be searched.

Re separating shrubs - I usually just shake the bottle before using.

1 Like

Thank you!!

Not that helpful, but from a thread linked above.

Ratio of vinegar to peppers, in making jelly

I was wondering if it made sense to just use the clear part of the shrub to get a clear jelly.

Ok, it’s started here officially, jam, jelly and other food preservation. Here is what I did yesterday. Just my regular mixed pepper/chile jelly. All bought at grocery & includes red, green & yellow bell peppers, with jalapeños (5-6 large), serranos (5-6), and 4 habaneros. I left all seeds and veins in the hotter ones, so it’s a little spicier than usual. My family and friends are addicted to this, so time to get going on these projects. I’m going to post some advice (unasked for) later, or even tomorrow. Regarding the uncertainty of life right now, and possible upcoming shortages. Things I’ve been thinking about.

2 Likes

Yay! I LOVE pepper jelly! I used some of last year’s on a grilled cheese sandwich last night!

Yes! And I’ve enjoyed seeing your experiments and pictures. Unfortunately, the majority of peppers and chiles we like, don’t grow well in our growing zone. We have managed to grow some very hot, but small red ones. Not sure of the name, but we harvested, and saved flakes and seeds.

1 Like

I am reminded that I still have some 2019 pepper relish !

I hope you enjoy! We used some in a spicy vinaigrette for a slaw to go with pork Chile verde tonight. Along with a Coconut White Balsamic vinegar, with a drizzle of agave syrup, and cilantro within. Citrus in there would have been good, but we didn’t have any.

1 Like