Help me make chile relleno's .

I have failed multiple times . Limp , greasy , bad red sauce . I need help on every bit of it . Thanks.

(Glyn) #2

Don’t feel bad. They are not easy. I’ve eaten so many as I tend to try the rellenos in a new restaurant as an indicator of whether they really know what they are doing and whether they can do anything sophisticated and complex.
I’ve also cooked a lot of them. I’ve tried lots of methods. I concur with what others have said, that it is easy to make limp, greasy ones. There are savory and sweet ones. Fillings can vary greatly.
This is the best recipe I have seen lately. I do not like the heavy batters with leavening in them. To my thinking, the battered exterior should be light, thin and crispy when done best. They should not end up like a snow-ball cupcake.
Make sure you skin the peppers. I only use poblanos. Keep them as raw as you can during the skinning. A torch works well. I cut as small a slit as I can in the peppers and go in with a paring knife and remove the seeds. When filled, I use toothpicks to stitch the slit together. Otherwise, keep the slit up at first. You can cook these in very little oil by placing them in a preheated cast iron skillet and then finishing them under the broiler. I make the tomato sauce with fresh romas.
You are tempting me to make some and report back on the details!

That sounds helpful . Many thanks . I wanted to try making them again . After over hearing a fellow at the bar talk about he made the best . I asked and he said he made a light batter of four egg whites beaten , adding one egg yolk and one tablespoon of flour . Then shallow fries them .

(Glyn) #4

I know some who use only egg whites. I think it is important to dredge them in or dust them with flour once filled and before coating them with egg. Whipping the egg-whites first does make for a fluffier coating. They can be baked at high heat, but the finish and texture is different.

What does the flour do in the batter ? I found that interesting .

(Glyn) #6

Not flour “in the batter”. The flour acts as an adhesive or binder as much as anything. The pepper must be skinned. If you don’t skin the pepper and then coat the pepper with flour then the egg wash just slides right off.

Got it . Thanks .