Help me make chile relleno's .

I think the variety of poblano plant I found here was called Trident.

Beautiful plants!

4 Likes

Where I live in Canada, chile relleno on a menu usually means chile relleno en nogada or chiles en nogada - so a picadillo-stuffed pepper in walnut sauce.

It is technically a chile relleno in that it’s a stuffed pepper!

5 Likes

Sort of a different dish and when it’s done well fabulous. Generally I’m still in simpler gooey cheese camp.

The pomegranate seeds make it pretty and show off Mexican national colors.

I’ve had it with Mexican American friends families Xmas time.

7 Likes

What is it stuffed with?

a ground beef/pork, raisin/fruit and nut mixture i’d say, sorta sweetish

(note: this is not something I would try at home and I personally leave this to friends mothers and grandmas, or a good mexican restaurant)

1 Like

Is picadillo Sweedish? I didn’t know that!
Oh! I see. Sweetish. :blush:

2 Likes

it’s got cinnamon and stuff like that in it too with raisins and other fruit…for me it’s a better looking dish than tasting dish, but i know it’s a delicacy for many many people and a very special xmas dish that requires a lot of preparation and presents beautifully.

Would love to see any homemade renditions posted! It’s way above my pay grade in the kitchen.

3 Likes

I’ve got you covered. My wife’s a swede and so are my kids (also American).

Save those treats for another time!

1 Like
1 Like

I believe I made these with re-hydrated peppers and no pomegranate avrils. The pictures says it was 2019.

PastelĂłn

It must have been a recipe, because I can’t imagine thinking of using dried peppers. I really like picadillo! I seem to particularly enjoying it in a layered plantain dish. I think it was Pastelón

1 Like

@chienrouge I don’t know what happened to the picture!
Here it is.

5 Likes

Always good to try something new! I’ve never messed around with dried chiles like that except for actual chili.

How did they taste ?

I don’t remember but I can’t imagine why a reconstituted pepper would be better than fresh in this recipe.

1 Like

Chiles en nogada is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, which I first had in Puebla years ago. I make them at Christmas time, as well as at other times when the mood/craving strikes! I use pecans in the sauce (personal preference), and make a second non dairy version. They’re served at room temp, which can make things easy. That said……I’ll never turn down a fried, gooey, cheesy chile relleno!

3 Likes

nice touch with the pecans i think i would prefer that. I agree with your “that said” tho!

1 Like

2 Likes

I really like Rick Bayliss’s whipped egg batter, but there are a couple of other of his methods I disagree with…

1.) While I agree with his preference of white onions, I actually prefer the cut flavor he is interested in rinsing off.

2.) Instead of roasting the chiles, he fries them… doesn’t put them them in a bag or covered vessel to steam, and ends up spending all kinds of time doing a lousy job of scraping the skin off with his fingernails (WTF?). Just broil them, put them in a ziploc bag for a few minutes, and they will just rub off.

3 Likes

don’t watch the 30 minutes and hope for the money shot, he doesn’t cut into them.

you all are much better cooks than me – deep frying is something i don’t mess around with at home. happy to have someone else make my relleno that way.

1 Like

Yeah, that is another issue I have with his vids… he rarely cuts into and tastes his food.

But you can surely shallow fry these pups.

1 Like