Tacos Where You Live

By puffy, do you mean the egg coating on them? Anytime I’ve made them, I just dipped the peppers into egg, then fry.

Yes, but I think there is usually a bit of flour as well. Maybe just dusted with enough to make the egg stick ?

ETA; looked it up. Actually, I guess the whites being whipped separately are what makes it seem so puffy to me

Hmm. Good fresh out of the fryer, I bet. Just hard to reheat to return that texture to the batter.

1 Like

I prefer puffy batter on a poblano, although I don’t mind Anaheims as a sub. I had a relleno once made with a BELL PEPPER, and it was pretty sad. The biggest drawback to the puffy batter, and relates to your qualification, is that the quality of the relleno drops substantially after it has cooled and you reheat it. The batter, once light and delicate, gets flabby and gross.

My recollection of the former burrito place was that the owner had priced the beers to be an exact break even based on the number of glasses he could pull per keg, but he soon learned that he was actually losing a few cents per glass from the head.

1 Like

I have come to love relleno with no batter, stuffed with mushrooms, queso, nuts, and dried fruits, drizzled with crema and chipotles en adobo. Batter is just too much unless La Posada is making it.

3 Likes

In case you haven’t already shared that dish.

1 Like

I batter, but I like shrimp as my filling, with the crema with some pepper sauce mixed in. Then, under the broiler for a little bit. I don’t separate white from yolk, though and just dip the pepper in the beaten egg. Probably why I don’t get the puffy effect vin the final product.

1 Like

So I’m in a Mexican market today, the newest of three within about two miles of my home, and I figured I’d grab some Mexican crema. There were several, and this wasn’t all of them. Check out the plastic bags, bottom right of the first picture.

Ethnojunkie.com; "But Mexican crema only begins to plumb the depths; here are examples of Salvadoran, Honduran and Guatemalan cremas as well to champion their own rendition of this (literally) crowning achievement, each proudly displaying its flag and crowing “para el gusto de nuestros pueblos”

Here are Maya Supermarket’s tamale options.

9 Likes

They need to do a crema tasting. I prefer Mexican crema over Central American but nowhere near as many Mexican options here in the DMV. I generally buy one that comes in the plastic bag and refill the washed container from last time.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome idea, tcamp. I’ve never had Central American crema, being so close to the Mexican border (Arizona used to be part of Mexico prior to 1912).

I haven’t seen that big an array of cremas anywhere, ever. And I’m kinda jealous.

2 Likes

P

4 Likes

I believe she called it Taco Belle

(Really…i follow several costume pages and saw this when she made it)

4 Likes

Good story.

4 Likes

HEB takes a lot of the thinking out of shopping for me. Their house brand stuff is always excellent, and their line of Mexican foods branded Mi Tienda is no exception. We always have the table crema and the agria in the fridge. Grilled chicken thighs from their organic heritage chicken line make spectacular tacos wrapped in their flour tortillas, freshly made in their bakery section, or their house brand street taco corn tortillas, crisped a little on a dry comal or the grill, and topped with whatever else is on hand and some crema agria on top is heaven. I usually grill some peppers and onions and add a squeeze of lime and some jalapeños. A can of borracho beans is an excellent accompaniment. This dinner is super quick and easy and is great for summer with so little indoor cooking. I confess this town has loads of great taco options, but homemade always hits the spot. It’s quicker and easier than driving.

7 Likes

7 Likes

No lengua, fish, birria, among the top five of our orders.

That said, we’ll just add that the best ones we know are not served in a rack.

3 Likes
2 Likes

9 Likes

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-taqueria-azteca-giant-taco-18525553.php

4 Likes