I'm going to tackle failed recipes.

Made my first no knead bread last week! Success.

Problem is flour is in shortage all the time in supermarket.

5 Likes

Made wonton once, but too much farce, didn’t taste right…Thinking of making some type of dumplings Asian style, Chinese or Japanese. I need to make my own skin, since the Asian grocery stores are in Paris, and we are forbidden to go that far without risking a fine, we live in the outskirt.

1 Like

Chiles rellenos. Which? Coated and deep-fried or roasted and filled only?

I’m a failure. I can’t even boil eggs and peel them without destroying them. Have tried about everything the internet suggested. Whenever I see “boil eggs and peel” in a recipe I just turn the page :fearful:

2 Likes

I’ve done okay with roasted and stuffed only, with a nice sauce, but I actually prefer a crispy pablo coating. Not a huge fan of the puffy egg coating. I usually only try to make two at a time, MAYBE 5.

Casserole sounds like a good idea to try.

3 Likes

I think they need deep fryer ? Mine came out horrible in frying pan

i meant panko crumbs, not pablo. These are not mine, but they end up looking something like this;

3 Likes

Looks great . I like the ones with the egg white batter served with the red sauce . With a little bit of cheese on top . I have made them a couple times with fail . Greasy with bad red sauce .

1 Like

Great photo!!

Just to be clear; I did not make those and didn’t take the pic!

I know! Still great photo! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Here’s some I actually made, from rehydrated dried chilis. I think bought that relleno book.

I think it was stuffed with plantains.

3 Likes

@emglow101, I am very supportive of this endeavor of yours. You WILL nail the bread, trust me.

As for the rellenos, let me send you a recipe. They’re my very favorite, and I almost never order them out, since I’m always disappointed. Firstly, I use some nice thick poblano Chile’s and roast the skins off. I use half Tillamook medium cheese, finely grated, and finely grated Tillamook pepper jack for the other half. Will be continued tomorrow, I promise!!

3 Likes

Like small h I really like relleno casserole, made one with green chile sauce about a month ago. I only like rellenos with the egg batter and in some ways prefer the Herdez salsa casera right out of the can more than other salsas for them. My trick for pan frying them is to plop down some batter into the pan first, then lay down the chile cut side down into it and let it cook, then plop down the batter on the upper side, then turn it over. Much easier, for me at least, than trying to pre-batter them.

6 Likes

My favorite ordering at Mexican restaurants was always the Chile rellenos. Project for this weekend

2 Likes

You got it, will post tomorrow am with notes! Hope you love them!

2 Likes

here’s my fail safe for hard boiled eggs: place eggs in saucepan; cover with cold water; bring to boil; after 1 minute, turn off heat and cover. i these before i go to be and just let them sit over night.

every once and a while, i get one that’s hard to peel, but they are few and far between.

2 Likes

As promised, recipe for Chiles Rellenos - we only make cheese ones, sometimes using a toothpick to hold them together. Perfection!

5 Likes

I do like picadillo!

I like picadillo too, but more so in empanadas. Love just the cheese rellenos, but have had other interesting fillings at restos very occasionally, and never at Mexican restaurants usually. Did have a good shredded pork one at a Mexican restaurant in Orange County once - was a good exception to my typical rule.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciated it. I have done this before and wanted to try again. Well, I failed again.

These days I do it sous vide. Not (soft/hard) boiled but when done I just crack it open and the very soft, slow-cooked egg falls out of the shell.

1 Like