Refried beans or whole?

Long gone, but here’s the recipe:

Six 8” long chili peppers (anaheims>cubanelles>poblanos)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 big clove garlic, minced
14 oz canned tomatoes, cored & crushed
Salt
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese (or queso blanco), in six slices
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Broil peppers until blackened on all sides and steam them in a bag until cool enough to handle.

Saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and some salt and simmer for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°. Peel, stem and seed the peppers, and slit each one so that it lies flat. Wrap each pepper around a slice of Monterey Jack cheese. Spread the tomato sauce across the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish, and lay the peppers on top.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk thoroughly. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle peppers with half the cheddar cheese. Pour egg mixture over peppers and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake until top starts to brown and the eggs are set but still soft, about 30 minutes.

5 Likes

For folks that have failed at chile rellenos at home, this Rick Bayless vid makes an absolutely perfect batter. But to skin and flavor the chiles, consider the following instead of his deep fry method:

1.) Place the chiles on a lightly oiled sheet pan under the broiler for a few minutes/side until you get a nice char/blister.

2.) Immediately place them in a sealed ziploc bag for a few minutes. The will steam themselves soft.

3.) Place them in cold/ice water and it will be super easy to remove the skins.

Try again… these will be great!

3 Likes

I’ve had delicious rellenos filled with duck and goat cheese, also one filled with shredded pork, but my favorites are simply cheese filled. I wouldn’t mind trying crab, lobster or shrimp ones though -yum.

2 Likes

Agree, and in parallel, Caribbean places where the black beans are just straight out of the can (no onions, garlic, no herbs, zippo), generally the rest of the food won’t be on par either.

For @pilgrim’s question, like others have said it depends. I do like whole beans in the burrito (if it has beans), and sometimes a bowl of nicely prepared beans is good, too, but with certain dishes I really like refried.

BTW - thread title is kind of confusing. Did you mean to say refried or whole?

2 Likes

Another variation of the Chile rellenos casserole. Not sure of the source. A little dif from small h as there is chile sauce rather than tomato. Easy and very rich. Perfect with refries or whole pintos.

5 Likes

We used to get crab rellenos pre pandemic. I’ve not been to anyplace indoors in a while, just taco trucks so can’t report on the current fare round here.

2 Likes

Same with me.

I’m sure they were delicious too. Damn pandemic!

2 Likes

Indeed! Thanks for catching it.

2 Likes

Half and half. I find this recipe by Pati Jinich to be astoundingly good… but I only do the puree with about half the beans, and then add the other half of them whole with the puree into the fat.

BTW I can’t find good lard here so I use California Olive Ranch EVOO and they come out wonderful. Makes one of the tastiest bean & cheese burritos ever.

8 Likes

Have you asked at Santa Maria Taqueria (Placerville)? It’s worth a call. Some of the best lard in the Mission here is from a butcher/taqueri a. Here is a shot from SMT’s facebook page

That looks like the basis for mighty fine lard to me.

5 Likes

Thanks… I’ll check it out, but the olive oil works really well for me. I substitute it** for fats in a lot of recipes and have always been happy.

**California Olive Ranch 100% California - Medium

1 Like

Layout and wording, and especially seeing the fonts differ from the Fish Taco recipe that has kind of bled onto (or read through) the Rellenos page, strongly remind me of church cookbooks.

2 Likes

I love them all…pinto, black, refried, charro…

I also have a guilty and lazy pleasure, HEB borracho beans.

As for chile relleno, Oaxacan cheese tops my list. Sometimes I skip the reading and frying, stuff skinned peppers with cheese, pumpkin seeds, and raisins or apricots, and bake. Hatches are great for this. My old favorite restaurant, Las Manitas (long gone) also made chile relleno with a diced mushroom and walnuts with crema stuffing. There might have been squash, too.

3 Likes

Linking to emglow’s earlier thread on chile rellenos.

I can’t wait to order one when I finally visit California again, whenever that is. Haven’t found a good battered & fried cheese-stuffed version in Ontario.

Help me make chile relleno’s .

1 Like

Ah, not a church cookbook. My typing from very long ago. The bleed thru recipe is also of my making. Sorry that I didn’t write down sources when I transcribed recipes many decades before internet and printouts.

3 Likes

When I was on my quest to make chile rellenos I used a poblano that I had frozen and it started to fall apart. I put it in a buttered ramekin and covered with the egg mix and baked, it was very good. I later had success with fresh poblanos and the same recipe as you. For a really simple dish I just lay cheese stuffed poblano in a ramekin, cover with beaten eggs, bake, and when set top with grated cheddar.
And I like whole beans except when I make enchiladas.

5 Likes

I grow poblanos, and sometimes stuff them with grated cheddar and roast at 375 or 400 until the cheese melts.
Technically a chile relleno. LOL.

5 Likes

No, not just shrimp, a white cheese sauce. This looks exactly like it.

Love it; but I have yet to make it at home. Gonna have to learn to, now. The place I used to go has changed hands, and it’s not good.

3 Likes

Nice to try the chicharrones when done.