What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Massamam. My fave. We like Maesri brand . Sub sweet potatoes for white. Always need peanuts to top it off.

3 Likes

Not really. It will work randomly. Or you upload all photos and edit them in the order you want in HO.

Could you point us to the post about it?

It really does look good!

1 Like

Mrs. P is not a pork chop person and normally orders seafood when we dine out. However, she tasted my pork chop last time and just had to come back to order it this time. It is very juicy and just melts in your mouth.

3 Likes

Sure!

2 Likes

I added a bit more of everying, and some cooked Good Mother Stoddard beans from Rancho Gordo, and the middle was the slightest bit soft.

Wedges served (to my self mostly,) reheated in a hot oven this morning as a brunch casserole, with chopped cillantro, avocado, salsa, and crema.

21 Likes

Have been so so busy, however, here is a quick tapa …

13 Likes

Leftoverpalooza. Learned fish stew does not freeze+reheat well.

So split a little leftover spaghetti and meatballs after noshing on pretzels, dips, olives, and cheese. Also foraged some lion’s mane and puffball mushrooms, which were sauteed in butter as an app.

Lest you think we’re reckless - I couldn’t get a definitive ID on this one (debated between funnel chanterelle and false chanterelle), and chucked it. The vascular structures/gills and interior color weren’t quite right. Also suspect as it was growing on a log near another.

19 Likes

Lazy day. The cats chased (inside) those bugs and birds who dared to fly in front of the open slider window door (outside).

Had too much in my upstairs freezer so pulled out a Ziploc of chicken bones and started stock in the ol’ crockitypot.

Dinner was one of my favorite comfort food dinners: roasted chicken, mashed sour cream potatoes, and peas & corn. And wine.

20 Likes

My husband likes peas and corn. He cooks them for himself when am visiting my mother in Ohio, along with a pork chop and applesauce. My self, not so fond of the entire combo.

3 Likes

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
We had roasted turkey thigh, sweet potatoes with maple and pecans, our family stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy (not pictured- followed Harters’ rec from Xmas- just schmaltz and flour to make a roux, then adding the strained jus and water, and adjusted the seasoning with pepper, it was the best gravy I have made), leftover rosolli, the last of our garden lettuce with grape tomatoes, oil and vinegar, and baking powder biscuits.

23 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Bloom in Verona. It was our first time dining indoors at Bloom in 7 months. It is a very tiny restaurant and they were only able to fit 4 tables at 25% capacity. They are still doing outdoor dining with a large tent in the parking lot. The Chef just came out with his Fall menu and we tried a nice sample of new items. We enjoyed an outstanding Bouillabaisse with head on shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, and monkfish. The broth was very flavorful. We also enjoyed applewood smoked halibut with saffron foam; crab toast, bulgogi tacos, fried rock shrimp skewers, one with gochujang sauce and the other with wasabi sauce; creamy butternut squash soup; roasted king oyster mushrooms with leek, garlic, parmesan, and bread crumbs; and kabocha squash gnocchi with bechamel sauce. It all went great with an excellent syrah.

10 Likes

More crappy takeout.

Last night was Indian food (from a Nepalese place). The home-style dishes were good (momos, aloo gobhi, spinach with paneer and lamb), but the restaurant dishes (paneer makhni, butter chicken, bhindi masala) were awful.

Tonight was bad pizza, but within that category this was actually good- for bad pizza.

Good wine to go with bad takeout all weekend :rofl: But I’m not really drinking at the moment, so…

And another good homemade dessert tonight - I made birthday brownies for a long-distance birthday celebration later tonight.

15 Likes

Mmmmmm those biscuits tho…

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends!

My college roommate would make me late-night drop biscuits when we got home post party but had resisted pizza… many years later, I adopted the ATK method (melt butter and pour into cold buttermilk or milk to create distributed droplets of butter) and still love them!

4 Likes

Last week was pretty busy and not much cooking. Not much better this weekend., but tonight managed to do carrot salad (shaved carrots, pistachios, herbs, dressed with evoo, red wine vinegar, toasted caraway seeds, salt, pepper), and gyros. Dessert will be a few bites of peach huckleberry pie. Also managed to make some stuffed delicata squash for the freezer (details when I cook it later this week).

18 Likes

That’s genius! I’m going to borrow that…

Everything looks delectable! Jealous of the crab toast…

2 Likes

I love capers.

3 Likes

We love capers too. The capers, fresh herbs, and vermouth were a great combination. The problem is that whenever we order a dish with capers at a restaurant they only give you a couple of capers. At home we can go crazy with the capers.

5 Likes

Count me in as a major caper lover!

4 Likes