What's your favorite way to prepare pork tenderloin?

LoL that particular photo:

And the editor’s comments

• I think the visual novelty is what makes the sandwich fun. It’s hilarious to look at, especially when a restaurant uses a standard-sized bun, which most do. When people see that for the first time, their eyes bulge out of their heads. It looks very intimidating.
4 Likes

A schnitzel on a bun. Hold the bun, plz.

3 Likes

For this household it is usually part of a quick, easy dinner and a lunch. For dinner it gets a sear, a rub, and up to 130 in the oven. It gets accompanied by equal parts fig preserves and Dijon and has saffron rice and snow peas cooked in a wok with butter and oyster sauce. The lunch is a mock Cubano with pork, ham, Swiss, yellow mustard, dill pickles, and a Kaiser roll, done on a griddle with an outside light spread of mayonnaise and a bacon press.

1 Like

Another easy but flavorful one I remembered — use a porchetta spice mix: minced garlic, crushed fennel, black pepper, red chilli flakes, and one or all of sage, rosemary, and thyme, lemon/orange zest optional.

Rub on a whole tenderloin or cut into chunks first to get more coverage, like the pinchos recipe. And if you cook it in a hot pan, the browned bits add a nice dimension.

6 Likes

This sounds great!

1 Like

Apricot, peach, orange marmalade. Rhubarb jam/preserves as is, or combined with any of the forementioned.

A quick prep for marinated, rubbed, or simply seasoned pork tenderloin is to slice an inch thick, sear cut sides over high heat in an oven-safe pan, then put the pan in a 375°F oven for 10 minutes, then let rest in the pan, on the counter, for another 10. Or rather than resting, add to the pan some juice or applesauce, and a spoon of prepared mustard, and make a quick pan sauce. If it needs thinning or extension, some chicken broth or vegetable broth.

2 Likes

There are several posts that reference dishes made with loin, not tenderloin, and I was shooting for a gentler, more subtle approach than

THeiR (sic) nOt ThE SamE tHiNg

Apparently too subtle.

5 Likes

I just remembered that when we did a couple (?) of Penelope Casas cookbooks as COTM on Chowhound a hundred or so years ago, there was a pork tenderloin prep called Lomo de Cerdo en Adobo that was so easy and delicious it became part of my repertoire although I see I have not made it since early pandemic days - so long overdue. I slice the tenderloin prior to marinating. My notes also remind me that once I marinated it overnight and then something came up so I threw it all into a ziplock, flattened into a single layer, threw it into the freezer and hoped for the best. It was perfect, thawed and cooked a couple weeks later.

Note: linked recipe calls for “pork loin” in the ingredients but Penelope calls for tenderloin and the picture in the linked recipe is pretty clearly tenderloin.

Another point I have not seen made in this thread, maybe because it’s obvious, is that no matter what the prep it will be tastier if you remove the silverskin first.

3 Likes

Love Penelope Casas! We should do a thread here on HO??

Count me in! It was ages ago but I remember a number of recipes that had an excellent effort to deliciousness ratio.

2 Likes

In terms of specifically tenderloin, this is probably my favorite use. Here it really makes a difference vs simply using a cut like loin.

It’s also great as medallions— very easy and quick cut to cook!

3 Likes

What a great idea! Vitello tonnato is one of my favorite Italian antipasti, and I’ve only managed to make roast beef or roast turkey versions, but this sounds much better!

3 Likes

@Saregama and @GretchenS – I made this last night and we all loved it. Very easy and very good.

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it, @CCE. It’s a good one for being pretty easy.

Thanks for the reminder. And I just found a solid source for pork tenderloin around here. (I am in the amazing position of not needing to buy supermarket meat here in mid-coast Maine.)

4 Likes

I think I will try this one, with tenderloin.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find my meat thermometer when I needed it, but I figured it out.

5 Likes

Size matters. Smaller tenderloin is a more-tender-loin. Nice recipe. Thanks for sharing. Last time I got one, I just peppered it, wrapped in back and hit the CI heat, finish in oven, and gobble it up.

3 Likes

Leftovers with a mango salad;

7 Likes