What's your favorite way to prepare pork tenderloin?

Roasted with a light rub of rosemary and garlic and served with a homemade chokecherry jelly glaze. The recipe is a take on a recipe from Meredith Brokaw’s Montana cookbook. Loaned it to someone never to be seen again. I serve it with: Waldorf salad to start, and Potatoes Anna and steamed asparagus to accompany, usually.

1 Like

This recipe, despite being for beef lo mein, works great with pork tenderloin, too (I’ve used it for both beef and pork lo mein - made the beef version Monday night). I like his story about his dad and that he adds small looped videos of various of the preparation steps.

The only thing I change is the ratio of meat to noodle. He calls for 0.5 pound meat and 1 lb noodle but I meet in the middle with ~ 12 ounces each.

One of our other favorite ways is to stir-fry pork bites that have been marinated in grated garlic, dill (dry is fine if I don’t have fresh on hand), salt, a bit of tamari or soy sauce, and olive oil. I’ve never measured but I’d guess per pound of pork about 2 cloves garlic, about a teaspoon of dill, 5 grams salt, and a scant tablespoon each of the tamari and olive oil.

Stir fry and serve with any veg and starch you want.

And of course others have already mentioned thin pounded and breaded/fried. That’s another favorite.

This is how we grew up eating them in the Midwestern US. You could use 3 buns, but they only ever gave you one. (Random stock photo from internet, labeled something like “Hoosier Pork Tenderloin Sandwich”)

3 Likes

Looks like a great recipe - I’ve got some tenderloin in the freezer just begging for it. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

I don’t have a Milk Street acct but googled the title and found someone had posted it. I often search titles of ATK/Cook’s Country and Milk Street recipes, and maybe half the time I find that someone has posted.

3 Likes

Thanks, both for the recipe link (looks great!) and the search tip!!

1 Like

I like using it for char sui, instead of a fattier cut. Served with white rice, char sui au jus, and a steamed green veg.

1 Like

What’s your favorite way to (eat) pork tenderloin?

That’s ez…tonkatsu or katsu curry…

1 Like

Whoops! Sorry - turns out I described the wrong one. This below is the one I intended to post, from Made With Lau. I’ve also made the Woks of Life version that I posted by mistake, but not as often as this one.

https://www.madewithlau.com/recipes/beef-lo-mein

They also run through the whole thing in a youtube tutorial.

1 Like

@GretchenS Milk Street tv recipes aren’t behind a paywall — but you do need to enter your email address to access them

1 Like

Doesn’t loin get overcooked between cooking and then broiling to get the char siu crust?

Most BPTs are made with loin, not the real tenderloin.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that constituted false advertising of sold goods? Or maybe it’s just accepted that despite the name, the cut is not tenderloin? (Edit - I guess so. I just skimmed several popular online recipes and they call for centercut pork loin rather than tenderloin)

A local Greek FF chain franchisee claimed their souvlaki was pork tenderloin when clearly it wasn’t. I sent them an email (not threatening any report, just expressing frustration) and rather than start buying real tenderloin, they changed the wording on their menu.

Anyway, mine are tenderloin, you betcha! (Edit - souvlaki or BPT)

2 Likes

I think that fact is known in BPT territory but not the rest of America.
Side note, a long time KC cafe got mentioned in the NYT best restaurants list for this year. Noted for their tenderloins.
Only been there 70 years :smiley:

3 Likes

@MunchkinRedux Consider cutting the jam with mustard or hot sauce!

3 Likes

It doesn’t cook long, and I suppose one can cook it even less long than the recipe recommends. I prefer it to eating fatty pork. I don’t personally like the taste or texture of pure meat fat. Like, I won’t eat pork belly at all. Bacon - well done. Hot dog/sausage/salami - only because it is mixed in fat and meat.

1 Like

The stock and vinegar are definitely key. I think if you’re using a sweeter jam, you may want to taste the sauce before adding balsamic vinegar - a different vinegar might work better.

Also forgot to mention I use dried rosemary and it works just fine.

1 Like

Based on the description of cutting and the photo (size), is it right to assume Kitty’s is actual tenderloin?

Ha! For that matter, a lot of the rest of America doesn’t know what a BPT sandwich is at all.

1 Like

I need to have fat cuts for char siu… I love to use pork belly and neck… :star_struck:

Pork tenderloin: Italian style pan roast, as in this recipe, but you can also use white wine instead of vinegar, and I would recommend cooking for a shorter time, measuring the internal temp until done.

Not directed at anyone, but perhaps a clarification…

What is called pork tenderloin in the US is sold as filet mignon of pork in at least a fair amount of Europe. Its the small (2-3 inches or 5-10cm diameter) muscle that runs along the backbone. It’s very lean and tender and cooks quickly. A whole tenderloin will feed only 2-3 people. (Most of mine are a little over a pound/500g) its also quite a bit more expensive than loin.

Pork loin is the larger back muscle that runs the length of the back (just outside of the tenderloin). Its much larger, but still lean, and a whole loin will feed a small crowd.

They lie next to wach other on the hoof, and are similar, but aren’t interchangeable.

It confused me for a while when I lived in Europe, so just hoping to clarify a little.
know-your-cuts

7 Likes

Probably true.

1 Like

That seems to be mostly a French thing. Germany (and, I believe, GB) refers to the whole pork tenderloin as filet; mignon I’ve only seen used for beef.