What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

A very lazy day with just a few errands. I bought more stuff to go in my freezers downstairs. I really need to stop doing that. :astonished:

I also decided to make pork stock in my crockpot from the various chops and pork rib bones in my freezer upstairs (had to make room there, too!) Will be interesting stock as some of the ribs still had a bit of BBQ sauce on them.

Went with roasted asparagus, sauteed speck, and caramelized onion quiche for dinner. Three alliums were used…2 Tbsp of caramelized onions, 1 Tbsp of minced green onion, and chopped chives. The Pillsbury pie crust was blind baked before the egg, buttermilk, speck, onion and Monterey Jack cheese mixture was poured in to the shell and finished in the oven.

Crusty roll with TPSTOB (Kerrygold) alongside, as well as wine during the cooking and eating.

22 Likes

Looks amazing. I know . I have to stop buying stuff to go in the freezer. I have the same problem. Yea , I’m a freezer hoarder . Big deal. I like it .

6 Likes

Did you try different brand/growers? I’ve had two different brands and have enjoyed them both. These were very crisp and flavorsome. But of course we all have different opinons re: taste.

Stir fry of shrimp, asparagus and onions.

20 Likes

A fantastically marbled flat iron steak cooked medium rare, garlic-parsley mashed, thick cut mushrooms with crisped garlic. A wonderful Saturday night dinner.

To drink was a Rusty Nail. I’ve always loved Drambuie but haven’t had it in years. I’m not big on sweet drinks but there’s always an exception to the rule. I had a very successful lecture and event this afternoon (on my day off, so is it a day off???) and wanted to treat myself to a bottle. What a few years will do-- $28 a bottle became $35! :expressionless:

25 Likes

I’m raising a glass tonight for all of the firefighters who fought these fires who have lost their lives to protect us . Going into a burning buildings… Extremely hard work in exhausting heat with these fires up here .
Thank. you firefighters throughout the world.

I was in line with these heroes at my small grocery store today . Brow beaten , stained shirts from sweat . The thousand yard stare .
I turned and said ." Thank you for your service. " A smile came upon his face . Fighting the mill fire .
Grilled rib eye. Trimmed , split and tied
Supporting a friend who makes those fabulous sausage and meat .
Without power for a week at his store . Lost alot of product.
Drove out there today to support his business
Grilled rib eye , potato salad , corn .
No need for food pics tonight. Cheers .

25 Likes

Sausage and sweet pepper pizza with homemade marinara. Green salad.

Tomatoes, basil, peppers, cucumbers and lettuce from the garden.

17 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve been on a Chinese food spree since I shopped in Chinatown before our recent HO group dinner there and just couldn’t again for dinner even though the plan was to use some of the lovely vegetables for a stir fry.

Instead I pivoted to Italian and COTM.

Crispy artichokes and mushrooms over snow pea leaves in a lemon and olive oil dressing.

Pasta with anchovies, garlic, and choy sum / yu choy in place of swiss chard (plus lots of cheese).

19 Likes

Last night’s dinner was Spinach Fettuccine Alfredo with ground turkey meatballs and homemade bread. I modified a “Food Wishes” recipe (youtube) for the spinach pasta. Thanks Chef John!!

14 Likes

Inspired by my recent ’ Farm-to-table ’ dining experience at “Pearl Morissette” and “Frilu”. Harvested organic vine-ripened Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Peppers from my back garden. Made the following:

• Mini-salad using the blanched and peeled Cherry tomatoes, fresh Basil leaves, Spanish EVOO, a few drops of 8 years old Modena Balsamic vinegar and few grains of Mauritius rock salt…so simple yet so good!

• Stuffed Sweet Anaheim banana peppers using home made shrimp paste, fish ( Dace ) paste, minced Chinese mushrooms, Sun dried shrimps, Chinese sausages and chopped Cilantro. Smell amazing and taste darn good as well!

Lastly, keeping a close eye on the 'Winter melon '! Cannot wait to harvest it and make ’ Double Boiled Winter Melon Soup ’ when the weather turns!

17 Likes

I was interested in that recipe so I hit that link. Do you have purchased char sui sauce, or have you made your own?

2 Likes

Respect for rolls with quiche. I love carbs on carbs… on carbs on carbs…

2 Likes

Very true…

I did try the heads from different sources and growers. We tried to determine what is what we didn’t care for. We concluded that it had something to do with the texture, but could not define it further.
We are big fans of all types of lettuces and cabbages for salads, so very surprised about the Little Gem.

3 Likes

And thank you for your service.

1 Like

I wasn’t really hungry last night, but knew I had to eat something with protein. So, remembered I had some pork that I had purchased for carnitas in the freezer that I had divided out into single pieces, pulled out about 4 pieces, put some salt, pepper, and teriyaki sauce on them and baked in the air fryer (AF). Then saw some egg rolls in the freezer, took 2 out and baked in the AF. Used my fancy new jar opener (got where I couldn’t even open a jar of marmalade, so went hunting on Amazon), to open a jar of cherry peppers. Under the cherry peppers is a bit of teriyaki sauce. Had those for dinner. To be honest, it was pretty darned good.

16 Likes

Garden tomato, feta, basil and white peach salad

Ham and cheese quiche on an all-butter crust

25 Likes

Purchased from World Market. Ive never had it, so I figure I’d try it.

7 Likes

Sunday NFL Football didn’t go well for my team. :woman_shrugging: But dinner went well.

Beef burger pan-fried in butter with just s/p, topped with crumbled goat cheese and served on a lightly toasted Kaiser roll schmeared on the bottom roll with some fig preserves and topped with caramelized onion and freshly minced parsley.

An orzo, corn, pea, and red bell pepper pasta salad with torn basil and a light lemony mustard dressing, and a classic broccoli-bacon-cashew salad with raisins and minced red onion.

Wine. Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.

Q

20 Likes