What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

The classic song is best sung by Frank Sinatra, IMO. :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

School kids are back at it, complaining about having to get up so early!
(Yeah, just wait until you have to go to work, kids! :wink:)
Many parents are doing the “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” shopping cart glide through Staples’ supply stores.

Apples are ripening and soon will be ready to be picked.
And WITH those apples comes apple cider donuts. (Please get them at an apple orchard, hot out of the fryer and after being sprinkled with sugar!)

Leaves are going to start turning brilliant colors (depending on your rainfall and warm days/cool nights, that is!)

Autumn is my personal favorite time of year. Yes, I know it’s the start of the slow slide into the cold, dark winter months, but the beauty of autumn leaves, the aforementioned warm days/cool nights, and the homey, slow-cooked foods that start to be prevalent in the autumn still makes it my favorite season.

So - while it could still be warm, very warm, or downright HOT :fire: where you are, are you celebrating kids back at school? I mean, even Alice Cooper sang “school’s out for summer” - not forever!

And what are you cooking?

13 Likes

Out of work later than wanted. :rage:
Have tomorrow off. :+1:
No idea WFD tonight. :confused:
Opened the fridge.
Pkg of ground pork had to be used. :pig:
Had some broccoli. :broccoli:

So I went with a quick stir-fry of pork and broccoli with garlic, ginger, and char siu sauce over leftover rice, patterned after this recipe, topping with chopped cashews and green onions. No hot chilis, but it was good as-is.

Ohhhh, yes. There was definitely wine. :wine_glass:

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/stir-fried-char-siu-pork-mince-broccolini/6103495d-70ff-4b60-a40a-725d8256d6f5

24 Likes

Nothing sounded good tonight. I landed on soft-scrambled cream cheese eggs, bacon, toast with foraged wild berry jam, and tots. I ignored some blueberries and shared my eggs with the kiddo. He loved this meal, of course. His plate also had pancakes.

25 Likes

It’s triple digits in the country, so we’re hunkered down in blessed 66F SF. Thought of a dish my m-i-l spoke of, one for which she had no recipe nor clear memory of watching her mother or grandmother make, and not found in any books we could find. Enter the internet and bingo. Croatian bread dumplings.
Easy (I subbed panko for bread) and very delicious.
Croation bacon dumplings.-09-01 at 5.49.08 PM

26 Likes

Lamb and zucchini meatballs. Mediterranean pepper salad. Homemade pita wraps. Tzatziki.

Zuccs, peppers, shallots, tomatoes and cukes from the garden.

23 Likes

Chicken larb, fried egg, rice, tomato, and cucumber.

25 Likes

tonight I requested, and the BF made, FM heirloom tomato sandwiches on TJ’s brioche with bacon, and deviled eggs. He threw in some blistered shishitos - great addition.
a good summertime meal.

the rest of the FM tomatoes are getting the Nigel Slaterish preserved tomato treatment

Tomato bacon sandwiches 1

preserved tomatoes 3

27 Likes

Found a local source for burrata, so I made a first course of sliced homegrown Purple Cherokees, burrata, special olive oil, fine sea salt and homegrown basil.

We also had grilled apple sausages from our local country butcher, roasted local cauliflower, and some very sweet CSA cantaloupe for dessert :slight_smile:

Sigh. Eating this time of year is 
 everything.

26 Likes

Lovely! I know these (or very similar) as Semmelknoedel. Austrian version - just minus the Parmesan.

3 Likes

:100:

I was thinking ahead to winter tonight and dreading the limited/flavorless produce from grocery stores. At least with our wintertime CSA we get good stuff.

6 Likes

Oh yeah? What kinda stuff you get in the winter?

Simple pasta with sautéed zucchini and cherry tomatoes in a sauce made from cream cheese, pasta water, oregano and red pepper flakes - served with some salami chips for texture

18 Likes

I almost made the exact same meal tonight. It was 50/50 until I saw the ground pork in my fridge.

It’s a good comfort meal.

4 Likes

We’ve got a new Cookbook of the Month for September: Cook, Eat, Repeat by Nigella Lawson. You can find the thread here: September 2022 COTM - COOK, EAT, REPEAT

5 Likes

Caprese with burrata, heirlooms from the FM, avocado. It’s a great combo.

20 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a simple “throw together” dinner
 Bratwurst, sauerkraut and mixed vegetables.

16 Likes

Squid with cranberry beans, parsley and orange zest.

21 Likes

Looks fantastic! What’s the broth?

And yet, I have much more of an appetite then so I’m happier to eat!

1 Like

That looks pretty fantastic.

1 Like