What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Or as i have called it, “An ode to IDGAF”.

Seriously, after a long day at work I’ve made this exact combo. Just add a random veg. No shame in it. Hope you enjoyed!

6 Likes

Thanks… all the credit goes to the plastic bag that I shook it in! :rofl:

7 Likes

@gcaggiano this is one of many times I wish I lived next door to an Onion.

“Whipped up chicken parm” after a full day’s work and after activities. For Pete’s sake!

10 Likes

Good for you for adding a vegetable. At my house, fish curry and rice is considered a complete meal and there would be a mutiny if a vegetable was presented at the table to “balance” the plate :rofl:

6 Likes

We did… My girlfriend isn’t too picky about the meals I serve. The only thing I can’t serve her is tofu. Other than that, she pretty much enjoys what I can make. I do want to serve more of a variety of meals and the “Hungry Onion” posters have given me a lot of “food for thought”!!
I am learning new things, getting ideas and lots of helpful advice from this forum.
I am thankful to you all!

10 Likes

I had it in my head that I was making this regardless of how tired I was. BF was working late-ish (early by normal standards) and so I forced myself to slow it down and try to enjoy the process. Not possible after a normal workday but today was relatively tame-- just research at home and a brief lecture. I enjoyed taking my time and actually cooking a non quick fix or one-pot meal which we rely on several times a week.

3 Likes

So I have had these duck legs. Nice package. You get two . Tonight was the night I’m putting them on traeger smoker. Researched so many recipes. 6 hours , 4 , they are not going to be cooked . Bathe in duck fat . Sure I did .
I looked at them after 2 1/2’ cooking at 175. They look great turned the temp up to 225 . Ok . Check after 20 minutes. You know you should pull these. But the recipe says longer .
It was like Thelma and Louise. I cranked up the temp to 325 for ten minutes. Yes over the edge. Look good . Fools gold .
Crispy bacon . I have another pack for redemption. I do despise recipes. Extremely. Yea I’ll cook them for 6 hours .For sure .
The star of the show was the English cucumber. No oil , just a touch of salt . I kicked up the stove bought potato salad. I liked it . Cheers . Live and learn . No more recipes.:wine_glass:

I tossed the other one out the back door for the raven

20 Likes

Lucky raven - looks pretty damn good to me!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was cheese ravioli with alfredo sauce from the Italian grocer. Steamed broccoli and boiled com on the cob on the side.

15 Likes

A big ole messopasta I made for my PIC and a friend last night: bucatini with a sauce made from garlic, rosemary & thyme infused olive oil, anchovy paste, quarter diced onion, grated heirlooms, spinach that hadn’t gone bad yet, and a lonely slender eggplant that had been lingering in the crisper.

Oh, and a whole fat slab of Greek feta from TJ’s :slight_smile:

Some of the bucatini were a little more al dente than others, but the sauce was wonderful & a great way to use up bobs n bits from the fridge. Dinner was followed by a a few moonlit hours at the fire.

Debut show with my full band tonight at a relatively new cidery with good eatz – the chili crisp deviled eggs, French onion soup dumplings, and the Reuben egg rolls are :fire:

https://www.titanhollow.com/alloy-kitchen

20 Likes

The pasta looks awesome, and it’s really cool that you have your own band. You have a great voice! Best of luck tonight!

1 Like

Oh, thank you! We don’t get to play with the full band a lot (often it’s “just” as a trio or quartet, as our drummer is busy with his PhD), so this should be fun :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am so happy you posted to the link above. I have saved; it sounds delicious and I have sound ground pork in the freezer.

1 Like

Your meal looks so good, @Desert-Dan.

1 Like

My very old grandfather (and I do mean old, he married late in life), used to eat cornbread like that. My sister and I loved cornbread and we loved buttermilk, but neither of us could ever bring ourselves to treat the cornbread to that particular method of eating.

2 Likes

We, for some reason, just do not care for Little Gem lettuce. There is just something about it that is off-putting to use. We tried to like it, but decided not to buy again after having given two heads a try.

2 Likes

It’s never to late to try something new !

4 Likes

" Cantonese & Shanghainese Fusion Noodles " - using the super-elastic Cantonese Won-Ton Style Egg Noodles.

Made a Shanghainese style Dried Shrimp and Scallion Oil Lo-Mien, augmented the oil with previously saved Dungeness Crab Brains and finish off with ample of Yellowing Chiv

Chewy texture, fragrant and aromatic, flavour profile loaded with depth and umami complexity.

16 Likes

I think it’s a versatile dish with whatever add-ins you want. I was pleased with my as-made dish, although now I want to amp it up.