What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

A massive chunk of monkfish (900g). This is only half of a whole one. Got the fishmonger to cut it in half and snatched the thick piece. Dont’ know how much water was released once cooked. I just brushed oil that has pickled garlic with chilli flakes in it all over the fish. Seared and roasted in the oven for a good 20 minutes. It’s so huge I had to check 3 times to see if it’s cooked through but not overcooked.

Lots of shiitakes and king oysters/trumpets.

8 Likes

I have grown to seriously like monkfish. We’ve been getting the tails frequently, in season here, from our CSF share. Reading how you prepare it is very helpful!

1 Like

WFD: ~ Baked Ham. Fresh uncured ham; ground cinnamon; ground allspice; ground cloves; nutmeg; maple syrup, etc. [Half recipe for the two of us]

~ Escarole and Radicchio Salad. Dressing: a couple of anchovies mashed with garlic, white wine vinegar, hazelnut oil, black pepper. ~ Challah

~ Dessert TBD. Or not.

A far cry from Palm Sundays of the past.

1 Like

Wow! How many did you feed with that???

Just us two. We could only finish half of it. Leftovers get turned into a soup, with more things added.

1 Like

Sounds right. And I know that soup will be lovely.

1 Like

Lunch was chicken strips from scratch and then I stunk up the house deep frying onion strings to go with it. They were seriously the bomb! The Pioneer woman recipe.

I think I am going to make Lion’s Head Meatballs for dinner but I’m not quite sure what to go with it? Going to try a recipe from the PBS website.

4 Likes

It was delish, Gio. And there’s leftovers for a future “brown gloop” meal from the freeze, although due to the turmeric it’s a “yellow gloop”.

It’s from KD1. I’ve never found much that interests me in KD2. And we haven’t started cooking from KD3 yet - it’s still on Mrs H’s “to read” bookshelf. But it looks like it should be really good - the style is a combination of KD1 type recipes and “Eat” recipes/ideas (I think I recall you cooking quite a bit from “Eat”, some months back)

1 Like

A semi bits ‘n’ bobs meal - pork and broccoli stir-fry. A bit of red bell pepper, a bit of onion, a crown of broccoli, cremini mushrooms that were just this side of going icky (but still savable!), a couple of small boneless pork chops.

Stir-fried the pork slices, then tossed in the veg, along with some minced garlic. Stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir. Then added a “sauce” of homemade chicken stock, cornstarch, oyster sauce, and ground ginger.

More stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir until the sauce was thickened. served over basmati rice. Wine = side dish.

Hoping to wake to little or no snow, but I think there will probably be something to shovel. Bleah.

2 Likes

Last night was the seriouseats version of smacked cucumbers over a bowl of mixed greens and i added in a bunch of cubed smoked tofu to make it more of a meal. Reisling a la carte, and a few medjool dales with salted almond butter for dessert.

I came home with the leftover eggplant spread from lunch at this great greek restaurant as well as their housmade fluffy pita. For dinner i roasted a bunch of veggies- fennel, brussel sprouts, beets and carrots, and i baked a batch of tofu at the same time. Eggplant spread and tofu went in the pita with some lettuce and roasted fennel. More roasted veg on the side with a good dribble of basalmic and some smoked salt.
Not especially ambitious but it hit the spot.

3 Likes

that looks PERFECT.

WFD tonight will be Indian-spiced roasted cauli & a local producer’s currywurst – pan-fried or grilled; it’s up to my man, as I am working till 10 PM.

To tide me over, we’re each having a lovely ball of TJ’s burrata with Wegmans’ roasted tomatoes and fresh basil before I head out.

Happy Sunday, y’all!

4 Likes

Dinner Friday night was my old firm’s anniversary party - lotsa booze, some apps, which i ate almost none of, more booze at a bar a bunch of us flocked to afterwards, and then home to make a sloppy bacon butty on buttered toasted dark rye. with an egg on it. and some goat cheese mozz.

last night we went to a greasy dive for diner mexican food (i’m reviewing it) and it was ok - not great, not terrible, but a ton of food. i had chilaquiles, the BF had a bacon cheeseburger.

tonight i made a cuminy sichuan peppercorn lamb over rice with a cuke/shallot salad on the side. this time it was my turn to oversalt a bit, but it was still good. BF didn’t think so, the silly lamb disliker.

prepped a corned beef too, for tomorrow night’s dinner,. plus sides.

sadz it is Sunday night…

6 Likes

I haven’t had TJs burrata. That sounds like a rec. ?

Went to my Tampa roots for some yellow rice and chicken to day. Spatchcocked a chicken, seasoned and tossed on the patio grill. Made a sofrito for the rice to cook in. Seasoned Cuban bread and salad to complement the mains.

5 Likes

Did we have dinner? We’re ‘sitting’ our grands. Four years and four months. I barely got it started when the baby decided to semi-melt down. Thank she-god for Bob. A pork blade chop pan fried, TJs Harvest Grains cooked in chicken stock with some butter and grated cheddar and green peas. We’re both exhausted…but in the best way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Smoked haddock & creamy lentils.

Yet another Nigel Slater recipe. This one from “Eat” (pge 191)

3 Likes

It’s pretty great for a mass-produced item.

1 Like

OMG everybody’s meals for the March look amazing so far - I am now STARVING. Have not been by for awhile not much going on culinarily at Casa JT especially since the oven took a powder last month ;( prepping for a total redo of the kitchen - started boxing it all up this week for a tear out around 4/1.

I have also embarked in the last week on a bit of a “D-word” effort as spring is coming and a winter of baking, braising and boozing has taken its toll ;( last night was pierogi, sauerkraut and sautéed chard for a bit of a “cheat night” although I did use less butter than I normally would :wink:

In the upcoming weeks I will be living vicariously through all of you in anticipation of a new, and newly functional kitchen to be restored sometime this spring.

1 Like

@JTPhilly, you might be interested in these two threads started by @StoneSoup. Good luck with your renovations!

1 Like