What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

Grew up with the middle eastern word banjan for eggplant

Whole halibut (1kg) roasted in the oven. Deep slashes which were filled with a paste of minced lemongrass, pounded fresh turmeric, olive oil. (photos later).

It’s aubergine from Belgium, Germany etc all the way to the arctic (save for Iceland and Finland)

2 Likes

WFD: Linguine with garlic, olives, capers, anchovies, Pangrattato. Similar to aglio olio but with additional ingredients, and enhanced beadcumbs over top. Zeppoli for afters. It’s all symbolic for St. Joseph’s Day, my father’s feast day. Viva San Giuseppe!

Snow, no snow, snow, no snow. Typical.

4 Likes

For the record eggplant is Melanzane in Italy.

And melitsanes in Greek (plural).

My parents anniversary so Mother didn’t like it that I, a student at St. Joseph High School, had the day off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Almost didn’t fit in the roasting tray. My kitchen is tiny which comes with half-size appliances. The tail curled up on its own in the hot oven. Good thing it didn’t stick to the side wall. A delicious fish but I still prefer my usual brill.

6 Likes

@Presunto Fierce looking fish! Meal looks terrific.

Tonight a lazy night, WFD some stored bought Japanese shrimp gyoza, good bread, some cakes. We just got back home in time from shopping downtown and hubby was stuck in front of tv for the England - France rugby match.
Congrats to England winning the Grand Slam!

1 Like

Continuing with the aubergine/eggplant tangent, I wonder what word is used in countries where English is used as a common language between groups who would otherwise speak their own ethnic languages. Would they use aubergine/eggplant as opposed to whatever might be the word in one of the ethnic languages. I’m thinking of places like India and Malaysia.

1 Like

Thanks, Naf. I went straight to the pub from the market, where they let me put the fish in the fridge til I was ready to go home. Otherwise after the market I usually park my arse on the sofa and watch winter sports with a beer in my hand. (Females who love -extremely bitter- beer and watching winter sports? That’s me.)

2 Likes

Don’t know India or Malaysia, in Hong Kong, it’s eggplant.

Wow. Just… WOW! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You’re not kidding!!! Beautiful

Tonight I pulled some SV chicken thighs from the freezer and finished them in a cast iron pan in a hot oven for a mock confit. Served with a side of roasted brussel sprouts. The chicken always comes out great

2 Likes

Chicken Pahhhhpreeekaaaashhh! 'Tis what’s for dinner.

Coupla chicken thighs pan-seared and removed, then chopped onions and sliced mushrooms were sauteed, some brandy and chicken stock added and reduced, and the whole lot into a baking dish poured over the chicken to bake.

Served on egg noodles with steamed asparagus alongside. There was wine as the final side dish. I had planned to make a lemon-type dessert, but that didn’t happen. Maybe tomorrow.

6 Likes

I found gorgeous large english cucumbers on sale and realized I needed some smacked cucumbers asap. I followed the version posted on seriouseats and giggle at the “serves 3-4 as a side”. Uh, no. I flopped the wonderful cucumbers over some mixed greens and added a bunch of cubed smoked tofu, glass of reisling a la carte. New jar of almond butter + medjool dates are a likely late night dessert combo

6 Likes

I’ve been enjoying cooking Nigel Slater recipes over the last couple of weeks or so and plan to continue. Tonight, his stab at a veggie curry (from Kitchen Diaries - entry for 30/3)

There’s a spice mix of onion, garlic, chilli, ground coriander, cardamom, mustard seeds and turmeric. The recipe also called for curry leaves but I couldnt find them. They get a fry and then in goes carrot, tomato, squash and sweet potato and vegetable stock. It simmers till just about done. Then in goes chickpeas (recipe suggests first cooking from dried - I’m using tinned) and some mushrooms. Finally, in goes yoghurt (I may use coconut milk) and chopped coriander.

Probably chapattis for the carb. Deffo a couple of the homemade chutneys.

4 Likes

Very little cooking of interest the last few weeks for me. The Circus Cat has had health issues so I’ve had several hours of driving each day in order to monitor and medicate him at home. One issue seems to be slowly improving, the other seems much better.

Took off early yesterday and stopped by WF for more Garlic Expressions. Succumbed to whole chicken on sale and added dandelion greens to satisfy my spring tonic craving. Frontal system had gifted me with a migraine so I tried a super simple Thomas Keller roast chicken - just s&p. I turned on the broiler for a few minutes at the end for crispier skin. Mixed grain medley cooked on the stove top and greens were quickly cooked in bacon fat and finished with Pirates Bite pepper mixture.

There was wine. There were kitties. Good to be home early enough to make a proper dinner.

5 Likes

@meatn3, very glad to hear Circus Cat is improving. Hope it continues! And dinner sounds good - cannot go wrong with a properly roasted chicken.

3 Likes

We had a “three course tasting menu” last night. Leftover cross-cut sweet potato fries from lunch out, leftover sushi from our wonderful Asian market in Seattle and a whole takeout order of chicken feet from dim sum the day before. LOL

4 Likes

That sounds delish, JH. Which volume is this from? I only have his first KD. Ought I buy the next two as well?