What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

Thanks LInda!, It’s going to be a PITA but it will be worth it in then end! I am definitely buying one of those immersion jobs seen upthread once its done - someone use one of those for superbowl this year and I was very impressed - editing what goes and stays will be the hardest because my kitchen is unfortunately not getting any bigger ;(

Kitchen remodel will be a nightmare. Took them four weeks, as we had some construction work done as well. We camped out with the microwave, takeaways and dining out. I was so pissed off with the whole thing I began to wish we’d never started.

Yours

Job’s Comforter

5 Likes

No cooking tonight or tomorrow. We have an early eve gig at a small business event at a local small plates & cocktail place, so we’re likely to eat something at the venue afterwards.

Tomorrow is my sweetie’s birfday, and so we’ll be gathering a few friends at the CBDTR for food & libations.

4 Likes

Ah… that’s good to know, Thank you, John! I love KD1 as well as “Eat”. I had heard the same about KD2 and thought I’d hold off buying till I saw KD3 and you have just confirmed my next purchase.

WFD: Neapolitan Pasta Fagioli:
Soffritto of celery, carrot, onion, garlic; chopped tomatoes; red pepper flakes; homecooked Jacob’s cattle beans in place of cannellini; broken linguini. Grilled ciabatta. This is a thick stew eaten with a spoon and plenty of dry red wine at hand.

My Godmother’s husband, Uncle Nick, used to serve his homemade red wine that only he and Uncle Frank could drink because it was so strong. Uncle Frank cut his with orange soda. The grapes for the wine were grown on his property on a beautiful arbor that he had built.

5 Likes

We start this Friday. Will be camping out at home with my InstantPot, microwave, Technivorm, Weber Genesis grill and a one burner induction cooktop I have almost no pans for except teapot and skillet.

Head to a thrift store with magnet in hand and see if anything “sticks.” If so you can use it on your induction hot plate.

I recall seeing it as brinjal in Singapore and Indonesia. My father told me that was a more Indian word for it, but I think he may have been mistaken. Interesting link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant#Etymology_and_regional_names

After 18 years of life my son had finally expressed an interest in one of his dad’s favorite foods, steak! Tonight I took him to one of my favorite steakhouses Empire Steakhouse in Manhattan. (Sister to Ben and Jacks Steakhiuse)

For me; prime aged strip on the bone, side creamed spinach. Him filet mignon and truffle Mac n cheese. (OMG I had once spoonful soooooo good)

6 Likes

Back from another fabulous 3 day WOMAD festival - lots of great international acts and disappointing food. The music highlight was a version of Four Women sung by Ester Rada. The food highlight was a noodle salad that was only average. I’m glad to be cooking again!

Easy eats tonight. Sausages - siu mai flavour made by a friend. Green beans were on special today so I’ll do vegetarian dry fried green beans alongside as well as potato slivers if I get my stir frying coordinated.

3 Likes

Just got back from Mount Shasta City . It’s good to be home . Veal chop, sautéed zucchini , boiled Russian fingerlings . Crossed over Shasta Lake today it’s twenty two feet from cresting the top of the dam . WOW .

3 Likes

Coconut milk curry over rice tonight, a smashup of several recipes i looked up- i used chickpeas from my freezer, ginger, curry powder (love Penzey’s version), cauliflower, red bell pepper, zucchini, cilantro and chopped salted cashews on top.
Enough leftovers for a few lunches.

3 Likes

That is phenomenal news about the lake. Off topic :slight_smile:

Tomorrow’s night dinner but I cooked it today. Rick Bayless recipe for pork tinga from Mexican Everyday. I’ve made this several times and it’s as easy as it is good.

2 Likes

I picked up a small bone in rib end pork roast from Best Market Sunday. I couldn’t resist
because it was so beautifully marbled with fat…I haven’t seen a rack like that since
the 70’s when that was standard for pork.
Dry rub overnight and then slow cooked it in my Breville smart oven 225 for 3 hours
let it cool then I shredded…a quick blast at 450 convection setting followed …

Needless to say that person I live with did not like it …
so I will probably have tacos for lunch tomorrow
with my sister.
Can’t decide if the pictures are gross…regardless it tasted good
We had toast for dinner…

5 Likes

happy birthday to the man!

2 Likes

do you live with someone with no tastebuds? that looks awesome!! I just ate and i’m drooling over the juicy porkiness. yumz.

2 Likes

i think i mentioned, dinner was started yesterday. Corned beef, the cheater kind that comes pre-corned with the little flavoring packet. it was under 3 lbs to start and took 8 hours (slow cooker, high heat) to get tender, submerged in a coriander ale and water, and i thought it tasted bland when i put it away last
night. Tonight however, it had plenty of flavor, but was also, sadly, a tad dry. BF’s Russian dressing to the rescue! (it’s actually pink, not white.) I also made roasted carrots glazed in pomegranate syrup and drizzled with habanero oil, roasted leeks with just olive oil, s&p, roasted red cabbage steaks, with the same treatment, and the really great mashed potato/parsnips with a shitload of Plugra, and minced carrot greens. the mash may have been my favorite thing. they were a bit sweet but almost horseradishy, and perfumey from the carrot tops. i always forget how much I love parsnips. Everything had a real nice, distinctive flavor, which made me happy. and there’s a little bit of meat left to make myself a CB & Jarlsberg sammie on dark rye with Russian dressing for lunch tomorrow. We decided we’re going to try corning our own next time.

5 Likes

Yeah, we had the same experience, although our builders were lovely and really clean and tidy. But a year on, I still get a frisson of happiness cooking in the lovely new kitchen, in an oven which actually works, with proper lighting, and soft green walls.

2 Likes

I was wondering how California was doing with their drought - this article in the Chronicle seems to indicate that Lake Shasta will be close to 98% full by June!