Weekly Menu Planning - October 2023

We had cornbread last week with chili, so… I’m trying to mix it up a bit!

1 Like

That’s so cool that you’re seeing Brett Goldstein! Does he do a one man show, or stand up? Had no idea he was touring. LLD would love to see him (so would I). Definitely go with the socks.

2 Likes

It’s stand-up - I follow him on Instagram and saw the tour announcement over the summer. I’ll email you more info. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was a hit/miss. See here.

2 Likes

Revised Sunday - the planned walleye had not thawed so that moved to Monday. Instead we shared the rest of the gluten-free breakfast pizza I made Sunday morning, which my cereal-only-for-breakfast spouse had rejected for his breakfast but (it turned out) longed for as some other meal. Bellatoria Cauliflower crust with roasted veggies and red pepper alfredo sauce, that I scattered with 2 cooked scrambled eggs and 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, then baked. Very good and worth repeating.

6 Likes

Nominations for the November COTM are starting now. Please join us!

Greetings, People.

Making an easy week of it in the cooking department, going long on side dishes to give the appearance of variety, and using up freezer leftovers for ease.

Feeding two adults in the rainy PNW.

FRI: DH making wagyu burgers on the grill. My contribution will be coleslaw.

SAT: Oil roasted salmon. Two kinds of gratin (DOTQ): one with spinach and onion, and the other a simple potato gratin.

SUN: Pasta with roasted tomatoes. Italian sausages, Spinach gratin.

MON: Tuna melt on homemade French bread. Coleslaw.

TUE: Pan roasted chicken thighs. Leftover gratin (both kinds).

WED: A repeat of the tuna melts and coleslaw.

THUR: Leftover pan pizza from the freezer. Some kind of salad (TBD).

14 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where fall seems to be settling in. Lots of comforting food in unsettling times…

Breakfast: whole-wheat waffles
Saturday, October 14: Butternut squash soup, warm tomato and pepper salad, focaccia
Sunday: Bigos loosely based on this recipe using leftover BBQ pork from the freezer as the meat and perhaps served with pirogi that are also taking up space in the freezer. Chocolate-orange pots de crème for dessert.
Monday: Pasta alla norma
Tuesday: Probably scrounge
Wednesday: Placeholder for whatever Family recipe is chosen
Thursday: More scrounging
Friday: Beetroot and paneer curry, probably with frozen parathas.
To quote a podcast I listen to, “Have the best week available to you.” Happy cooking!

13 Likes

Hello friends we are winding down a second four day work week in a row in Canada so next week it will be back to the regular five day a week schedule. I always find it hard to re-adjust to working five whole days in a row. Only 7 1/2 years until retirement! Last week’s Thanksgiving dinner that I ordered from the pricey butcher was probably one of the best I’ve ever had. I will make a point of getting future Easter and Thanksgiving dinners with them. Tomorrow I plan on continuing my search for boots and blankets then on Sunday I plan on seeing Oppenheimer. I’ve had it pencilled in for ages but the two movie theaters closest to my apartment building keep showing it in the evening and it’s three hours long. I don’t feel comfortable leaving the movie theater at 11:00 or 11:30 at night since one of the theaters is in a sketchy neighbourhood and the other involves walking through a deserted neighourhood as part of my commute home. I could take the bus but I still don’t feel comfortable standing around waiting for buses at 11:30 at night. So this Sunday one of the movie theaters is having a matinée so I won’t have to worry about the commute home. Onto my menus for this week for a singleton in Ottawa, Canada:

Today: veal parmigiana and spaghetti from the nearby deli for only $13 (including tax and tip). I honestly have no idea how they manage to keep their prices so low and everything tastes just like home made. Greek salad for dinner.

Saturday: black bean beef and vegetable stirfry.

Sunday: Basa fillet with “egg sauce” following a recipe given to me by my mom. Fall is here so I am now resurrecting some of my mom’s recipes that I like :slight_smile: Basically it’s a basa fillet served with a white sauce and garnished with a quartered hard boiled egg. Rice on the side. Veggies tbd.

Monday: Stirfried lo mein noodles with pork and vegetables.

Tuesday: Peanut soup.

Wednesday: braised chicken with new potatoes and pearl onions.

Thursday: Cauliflower curry.

Have a nice week everyone.

13 Likes

Ottawadiva: which butcher did you get your thanksgiving dinner from?

I bought it from the Piggy Market in Westboro.

Thank you!! good to know :smiley:

Not sure what order yet.

Greek chicken burgers with dill rice

Green enchiladas with black beans and rice

Ina Garten’s wedding soup, focaccia

Homemade black bean burgers and elote

Hungarian mushroom soup or mushroom risotto

I’m trying to make extras and stock the freezer a bit so I have a few things to pull out for dinners on nights I don’t feel like cooking around the holidays.

13 Likes

Hi, everyone. Cooking for two adults and a teenager in the Boston burbs. It suddenly turned into fall and I’ve been freezing lately. I’m also trying to get over some sort of annoying upper respiratory bug (not Covid); it’s down to just an obnoxious cough, fortunately.

On a slightly-food related tack, I now have a new answer to the question of “what’s the weirdest thing you’ve bought at the grocery store?”: socks. My company is doing a volunteer day next month at a local charity that supports children in the foster system or otherwise in need. One of their biggest requests is new socks and underwear, so I usually stock up on multi-packs of both to donate. Today I was at Wegmans and they had socks on clearance, so I bought two 6-packs of socks!

Sun: adapted version of baked rigatoni with lamb ragu from Ina Garten’s Modern Comfort Food (gf penne, pork instead of lamb, milk instead of cream)

Mon: improvised Greek chicken (with feta, spinach, tomatoes) and crispy roasted Greek potatoes

Tues: beef and sweet potato chili (Epicurious), cornbread

Weds: burgers, fries, salad

Thurs: mac and cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts.

Fri: the beginning of my annual weekend to myself, as the guys are going away for their annual Ohio State game. I haven’t decided what I’m doing - whether I will go somewhere or try to get stuff done around the house. I suspect it will be the latter, as my family is visiting at the end of the month. But a staycation gives me the opportunity to cook stuff the guys won’t eat and/or get takeout they won’t eat!

15 Likes

It all looks good, especially the soup and focaccia.

1 Like

Hope those of you along its path had clear skies to observe the eclipse today! Keep your eclipse glasses for April 8, 2024, if you’re lucky enough to see it.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Finishing up some of the cake I baked late last week. I made the cocoa yogurt cake from Snacking Cakes, subbing sour cream for the yogurt. Always tasty.

S: (tonight) takeout - chicken pot pies with gravy

Su: Curry beef - https://www.budgetbytes.com/curry-beef-with-peas/

M: Lasagna soup

T: TJs palak paneer, yellow tadka dal, and garlic naan - vegetarian

W: Lobster ravioli with garlicky spinach - seafood

Th: Salad mix (possibly TJs butter lettuce) with chicken and garlic bread - salad

F: Chicken quesadillas with guacamole

Have a good week!

14 Likes

Have you made the curry beef from budget bytes before/or reporting back? I feel my crowd would either love it or hate it- but I’ve had good luck with her recipes so tempted to try-have some ground turkey in the freezer. . .

Hi everyone, I hope you’re enjoying your weekend. On Monday I spent time with a friend who became sick that afternoon and tested positive for Covid. So I spent the week mostly inside, away from others. Upside? Read my book faster than expected. But I really missed tennis, pickleball, coffee dates with friends. Yesterday I tested negative, and worked out, hung out with a friend, and had a date night with LLD. Making up for lost time! Anyway, covid is all over the place right now in NC. Be careful. Here is what we ate:

Mon: chicken paella (Roasting Tin around the World)

Tues: roasted sausages, onions, peppers, tomatoes (D. Henry From the Oven …). Been eyeing this recipe for a while. I parboiled the potatoes instead of adding raw. This is easy, homey, good. A full meal on one sheetpan.

Wed: spicy noodle soup with mushrooms and herbs (NYTimes). Lulu’s favorite soup. Used Trader Joe’s frozen mushrooms and it is so easy. Similar to hot and sour soup.

Thurs: carryout

Fri: roasted tuna with corn, tomatoes, chilies (Dinner in One). Another very easy recipe that has tons of flavor. Served with French rolls.

Sat: date night!

Sun: LLD is cooking. There is talk of steak. I’m guessing a salad and potatoes as sides.

The news these days is so grim. My thoughts are with everyone who is going through a tough time because of what is happening in the world.

17 Likes

Actuals for Oct 9 week, cooking for two in MN. Where my freezers are completely filled. I went from having no extra homemade mains or sides “stashed” to having an abundance of choices. And then the grocery store offered seafood at great prices this week, so I’ve restocked / frozen those too.

Mon: for lunches all week Easy Greek Pasta Salad, modified with added chicken, doubled feta, lemon infused oil and homemade “Greek Seasoning”. (recipe recommended by MunchkinRedux. June 2022), Club crackers. Dinner - Walleye, acorn squash
Tues: Runzas, tomato soup, sliced apples
Wed: French Cabbage soup using coleslaw and kielbasa Savory Parm dinner rolls Bundt summarized on WAYB.
Thus: Mahi Mahi, acorn squash, chickpeas/spinach side. Also BAKED breakfast oatmeal blueberry cups
using 3 C (instead of 2) of oatmeal.
Fri: Garlic sirloin steak (meat counter marinated), boxed mashed potatoes, reheated squash, green beans almondine. Wine. Ice cream treat.
Sat: I was OUT at a fundraiser with terrific food (Wine and small-servings pairings stations, walk around and talk with folks, enjoy the scenic venue) and top-notch featured speaker, then more time to talk over dessert nibbles & coffee. We decided all events should copy that format. Husband stayed home and had reheated steak, mashed potatoes, green beans.
Sun (today) : grocery-marinated Orange Sesame salmon, brown rice, salad. Also will make some beef-based soup for this week’s lunches, to use up 3 separate containers of broth from freezer.

14 Likes

We really enjoy it. Tasty and satisfying. It is as simple to make as it looks and comes together quickly. I’ve also made it with ground turkey and both meats work well. It could use a bit more heat for our tastes. We like to add a bit of sriracha and sour cream as a garnish to serve. Hope you enjoy!

1 Like