What are you baking? Oct 2023

In the “what are you NOT baking” but admiring list, this Claire Shaffitz recipe for cinnamon rolls was in today’s newspaper. This is a “project” recipe, requiring at least 5 hours of activity (incudes monitoring two separate 60 - 90 minute rises) and an overnight to 24 hours refrigeration of the dough. The twist I might steal from the recipe is using crushed speculoos cookies mixed with cinnamon and butter for the filling.

3 Likes

If those really don’t dry out instantly …. Whoa.

1 Like

I actually really want an Anova Precision oven, but the issue is that it requires an actual spot to put it in. If I could commit to the space demand, I’d splurge and see it as an investment.
The way I see it, I’d rather have an electric oven at this point because even though our oven is gas, it still requires electricity to turn on as is the case with all modern gas ovens. If I’m going to have to deal with no oven during a blackout anyway, I’d rather have an oven that won’t heat up the kitchen so much and that is much more efficient, and has a steam feature for bread, so I don’t really see the issue with opting for an electric one.

3 Likes

That filling reminds me a little of Dan Lepard’s cinnamon rolls, which call for crushed Ryvita crispbreads. A lot less indulgent than Speculoos, but similar idea.

1 Like

Finally!

I found some Italian plums in the fridge, so I’m made my first and last of the year plum torte, and served it with DL’s lemon verbena ice cream. I doubled the verbena he calls for and also steeped it twice as long, so this is really flavorful!

14 Likes

Savory, cheesy dinner roll Bundt. To have with tonight’s soup. Frozen dinner roll dough (12 for a 6 C Bundt, 24 for a full sized Bundt) thaws overnight in fridge or 40 minutes countertop. Roll in about 4 T melted butter with add-ins of a clove of minced garlic and 4 tsp dried herbs of your choice (today I used 1 T oregano, 1 tsp. summer savory. Others that worked well for me are parsley, dill, tarragon). Then roll in about 1/2 C shredded parm cheese. Place in a prepared Bundt pan (use flour-spray), stacking in layers. Pour remain butter over rolls in pan and sprinkle with remaining parm. Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes; they won’t fill the pan, but will rise more as they bake. Then bake 35 min. in a preheated 350 degree oven. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto serving plate.

15 Likes

Oh Queen of Tiny Baking… have you made any half-size pies? It seems like a 6” pie would be about half of a 9” (converting based on volume and accounting for the sloped sides of the pie plate).

I made milk bar’s banana cupcakes with chocolate hazelnut frosting last week for my coworkers. The recipe was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than their layer cake version which so far has been the most difficult cake project I’ve ever done. They aren’t the prettiest with the dark frosting and chocolate crumbs but they were gone by the end of the day so I guess they tasted better than they looked.

5 Likes

@truman, i refer you to this post from last month’s baking thread, where Munchkin Redux makes the point that a 7" pie pan is perfect for a half recipe of the typical 9" pie.

3 Likes

I have made 6” Pyrex plate pies, I used about 400g. of fruit. I vary the amount of sugar and thickening agent depending on the fruit. I’ll check further to see if I made any additional notes re: quantities. If you are thinking apple, I might consider par-cooking the fruit a bit with the sugar and thickening agent.
I also frequently make small galettes that are very rounded and filled with a generous quantity of fruit, you can use the pie plate as the container for a generous galette.

ETA…Dutch Apple pie…I used 670g apples parcooked .

3 Likes

I’m in the same ball park as Nannybakes. In a 7" pan I’ll use 450-550 g. fruit, depending on the variety and what I have on hand.

2 Likes

I just looked at the apple pie in the kindle version of Midwest Made and half of that looks about right. I can get more apples by weight into a pie by par-cooking them but it’s a little more fiddly.
BTW, your apple pie upthread looks delicious.

1 Like

Thank you! The pie looked great, I just didn’t like the filling. :confused: no more experimenting for me.

1 Like

Dried herbs amount s/b 4 teaspoons, not 4 Tablespoons. I’ve requested moderator help to correct since I’m beyond the time to edit on my own.

2 Likes

Chocolate orange cake with yogurt, cocoa and finely diced orange chocolate bar. The cake also has the zest of an orange added to the sugar and a little orange extract. For the glaze, I juiced and strained an orange and added chocolate, sliver of butter and a drop of Lyles. A little crème fraîche and strawberries from FM were a nice addition.This was adapted from Emma Duckworth’s “ Chocolate Orange Loaf” , which was originally in a 9 x 5 loaf, halved it fit perfectly in the 5 cup Lotus mold.

12 Likes

How are you still getting FM strawberries in October in the Northeast? (Having grown up in California, the long growing seasons were the thing I really missed while living on the east coast.)

1 Like

This showed up in my instagram feed yesterday and I made it for a quick desert last night. My family liked it,

4 Likes

They were also available last year . The weather has been mild and the farm is near the Delaware River which probably contributes to a more temperate climate. They also happen to be very good and I really enjoy small strawberries. We will see if there are any next time! They are most likely Day Neutral Strawberries.

1 Like

Here in SE PA there’s also been a trend of very late-season strawbs; they were avail via multiple farmers at the farmers market until about three weeks ago. I’m picky about strawberries and I still found them worth buying.

3 Likes

I got some good everbearing strawberries at the Farmer’s market here in toronto on October 4th )…