Weekly Menu Planning - October 2023

Cooking for one in Reston, VA

I’m trying to get back on the bandwagon of doing regular meal planning. Hopefully posting will keep me honest and on track. I’m also trying to lose some weight that has crept up over the spring and summer. Any recommendations for flavorful, healthy low calorie, and easy fall dishes would be greatly appreciated.

This week’s plan:
Thursday, Oct 12 - Mum’s Chicken Curry from ”Made in India”
Friday, Oct 13 - leftover chicken curry
Sarurday, Oct 14 - Greek Salad
Sunday, Oct 15 - Turkey Zucchini Burgers with Spring Onion and Cumin from ”Jerusalem”
Monday, Oct 16 - leftover turkey zucchini burger
Tuesday, Oct 17 - Shakshuka (from freezer) from either ”Plenty” or ”Jerusalem” - I made both recipes this summer and froze in individual servings.
Wednesday, Oct 18 - Salmon

13 Likes

Delicious week.

The quick soup using beef broth was a rare utter failure last night with my (I’ll eat anything once) husband. He did not like the smell of it as it simmered, politely ate half a bowl but said it tasted “wierd” and “smelled bad”. So I drained off the broth, keeping the innocent cheese tortellini and mixed vegetables and tried that topped with jarred tomato-basil sauce for lunch today. Not. One. Bite. (He ate double helpings of the salad). I’ve now noted to not serve him beef broth based soups and am wondering whether this means we wont’ be enjoying French Dip sandwiches or the previously well-received Philly Cheesesteak French Onion Soup.. Sigh. Tastes change.

1 Like

They do! In my case I started liking cilantro after decades not. What about trying chicken broth instead?

3 Likes

ze- veek on a sheet . . .

7 Likes

Definitely corn pudding :heart:

2 Likes

corn pudding was a holiday dish in the extended family. I have at least five recipes from aunts/great aunt/mother/grandmother . . . and have tweaked the best to our tastes, which is ‘less sweet please’

5 Likes

Greetings, People.

Some of your posted menus have left me wanty, so following up this week with a few familiar stir-fries and Asian-inspired dishes.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Halibut tacos with cabbage slaw.

SAT: Fish and potato chowder. Homemade bread.

SUN: Pork chops. Roasted squash. Wild rice with green peas.

MON: Longevity noodles with chicken and veg.

TUE: Cantonese beef rice bowl with peas and fried egg.

WED: Oil-roasted salmon with lemon sauce. ATK’s blueberry pan biscuit. Roasted carrots.

THUR: Pork and cabbage stuffed pot stickers.

13 Likes

What a week of eating!! Yum.

2 Likes

November Cookbook of the Month voting is happening now. Please join us!

It’s a lovely fall day in Ottawa where it’s a little overcast but a warm 17 degrees celsius (I think that’s in the 60s fahrenheit) and the trees are ablaze in colour. I opened the windows a bit this morning to let in some of the warm spring air! :slight_smile: so I am going to enjoy it while it lasts. Not much exciting happening in my life these days since my priority is getting a pair of winter boots. I have a couple of movies pencilled in on my calendar so I hope to take them in at some point and maybe a museum visit in a week or two since I haven’t visited the galleries recently. On to my menus for this week:

Today: Take-out lunch is Korean fried chicken so a salad for dinner.

Saturday: Clean out the fridge and freezer day. I have one CSA pick up left next Thursday so I will make room for the last basket of veggies for the season then I focus on finishing up the contents of the fridge, freezer, and pantry in that order. Dinner will be a Thai cauliflower curry that keeps getting bumped.

Sunday: Boot shopping. Peanut soup for dinner - another dish that keeps getting bumped.

Monday: Chicken and broccoli stirfry, rice on the side.

Tuesday: Beef curry from “Simply Thai” by Wandee Young. Either rice or rice noodles on the side.

Wednesday: Linguine with broccoli and carrots. From one of my Anne Lindsay cookbooks.

Thursday: Off to a film society screening so I will have dinner on my way to the theatre,

I hope you are having lovely weather wherever you are.

15 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for mostly 1 in Chattanooga. DH needs to fly out to France to check on his mother, who has had a health crisis (but seems to be doing better today), so I’ll be holding down the fort for the next couple of weeks. I may become a feral vegetarian, we’ll see.
My plans for this coming week are to cook all the things I didn’t get to this past week: we had too many leftovers for me to envisage cooking much.
Breakfast: Sticky buns
Saturday: Brunch with DH before he takes off: the sticky buns and a smoked salmon hash with hollandaise sauce (anyone have a good blender hollandaise recipe?)
Sunday: Out with a friend after an opera matinée
Monday: Beet and paneer curry from last week
Tuesday: Pasta alla norma from last week
Wednesday-Friday: Probably alternating leftovers from Monday and Tuesday
Have a good week, everyone! Happy cooking!

15 Likes

I like Eric Ripert’s version:

1 Like

Feral vegetarian is fantastic!

5 Likes

This one egg hollandaise (non-blender) is reliable.

2 Likes

Well, I got sick (COVID courtesy friends) as soon as I got back, so happy homecoming to me :roll_eyes:

Been catching up with lots of people once I safely could, so there have been lots of dinners out of late.

Planning flexible favorites for the week ahead, as well as working in some produce from Chinatown.

Other thoughts:

• Bake bread
  • Use up half a container of fresh ricotta
  • Maybe make garlic scape pesto with Chinatown scapes

Wish everyone a good weekend and a delicious week ahead.

13 Likes

Sorry you got sick. Not the best welcome home.

Have you tried the ricotta blueberry cake from Snacking Cakes? It’s really good.

3 Likes

I just made that orange ricotta cake so I was going to try to skew savory, but I will try it if my sweet tooth kicks in again before that!

You reminded me that I liked two savory quickbread recipes from The Cardamom Trail that ricotta would work in.

(Though I might get lazy and just add it to pasta.)

2 Likes

You really can’t go wrong by taking that lazy route.

2 Likes

Actuals for Oct 16 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we’re now packed for a week-long road trip and I don’t expect to do any cooking other than using the in-room coffee pods/coffee maker.

Mon: Pizza (commercial frozen)
BAKED Oatmeal Breakfast cookies I’ll add cinnamon and vanilla to these next time.
Tues: Sheetpan beef fajitas – use sirloin steak, in flour tortillas with brown rice, guac, salsa
From Dinner’s in the Oven– by Rukmini Iyer – p. 86. Leftovers were great as lunches several times.
Weds:
BAKED Banana bread in muffin tops pans and Chai Spiced Banana bread loaf
Dinner - Spice-rubbed pork country-style ribs with BBQ sauce, baked on onion slices. Cheesy grits. Salad. The grits recipe is part of this BBQ meatballs and cheesey grits blog. They are great with meatballs, too.
Thurs: Reheat ribs and grits. Salad.
Fri: Layered stuffing/chicken/creamy topping casserole. I made a half recipe in an 8x8 pan. Dull flavor – needs lots more added herbs/seasoning, so I generously sprinkled with a Greek Seasoning that includes salt before freezing small portions for 2 later meals.
Sat: Deli cherry chicken salad, garlic toast, sweet potato puffs, spinach salad, Honeycrisp apple
Sun: On the road

13 Likes