What are you baking? Oct 2023

If using in the near future, I’d be tempted to crush the cookies, butter, etc. and freeze in a Ziplock freezer bag so it would be ready to finish off at your convenience.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was wondering if I should do . The problem is that the quantity called for in the recipe isn’t the quantity I have. So I might just wrap and freeze.

1 Like

Prost!

If Whole Foods in Canada has rye flour surely it has it in the States.

1 Like

We had our thanksgiving dessert in the afternoon. Chocolate eclair filled with pastry cream. Recipe is from French Dessers Made Simple by Molly Wilkinson

18 Likes

Apple pie! This was my first try at gluten-free pie crust, and I’m surprised at how well it turned out. It was not any more complicated than an AP flour version. The recipe was a little more fiddly than I felt like doing, so after laminating I just rolled it out, flopped it in the pie plate, and stuck it in the fridge for a while. I used the filling recipe in her cookbook (Baked to Perfection) which calls for letting the apples sit in lemon juice, sugar, and spices for a while, then draining and boiling down the liquid - same technique as the apple pie recipe in Midwest Made, which I love. I did a solid top crust instead of lattice.

The verdict: A for structure, B for complexity (took waaaay longer than I expected), and C for the spices. Unfortunately I think this was more ginger than I like in an apple pie, which is probably a pinch at most. I’ll make the crust again, but not the filling - sticking with Midwest Made.

14 Likes

I’ve checked 3 different stores in exactly that area, but nada.

1 Like

I just looked on Amazon and found various brands of rye flour, including Bob’s Red Mill.

2 Likes

Are you worried about the cookies going stale or rancid? If not rancid, you can just store them in a ziplock outside, and refresh them in the microwave or toaster oven before using if they’re not peak crispness.

no, i need to not eat them.

6 Likes

Ah ok. I’d stick them in the back of the cupboard or drawer. I never have freezer space for this kind of hiding :joy:

I do. Two fridges both with freezers, and a new 5-cu ft freezer in the basement. Viva the suburbs.

2 Likes

As the organizer of family fridges and freestanding freezers in multiple locations, I envy you but also don’t…

With sprinkles, too!

2 Likes

You know the old Nabisco chocolate wafer and whipped cream dessert? Try it with speculoos type or Bischoff cookies. Yummers!

2 Likes

Made those oatmeal nutmeg scones from Dorie and they are EXCELLENT! I “baked” them on the grill and it was not that straightforward with everything else I had going to take advantage of the coal. They got a bit dark on the bottom while not getting much color on top. And yet they are still super delicious with just the right level of sweetness and not too rich.

Also baked Chain Baker’s cinnamon, oatmeal, and raisin loaf and it for over-proofed even though I stuck it in the fridge immediately after shaping, but just didn’t get the grill lit fast enough. Was disheartening seeing it deflate when turned out of the banneton, but I baked it anyway, and it should taste good at least, since even over-proofed bread is pretty tasty.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! I have the book, and have bookmarked the recipe to try sooner, rather than later.

For anyone interested it’s in Dorie Greenspan’s Baking From My Home To Yours, P. 30.

1 Like

Ah i was wondering which book its in. Have it. Thanks

1 Like

Kudos to you Shellybean for your efforts to bake without an oven . I hope it gets repaired soon!

3 Likes

Thank you, it’s definitely a pain to have no access, so hopefully we can find another repairman since the other guy decided to never answer his calls from anyone in this town apparently.

3 Likes