Weekly Menu Planning - February 2023

Let’s use this thread to share concise weekly dinner menus for each week in February. It’s helpful if you can include your location and how many people you are feeding. Links to recipes are always appreciated, and sources help.

“The torch of love is lit in the kitchen.” What will you have for your Valentine’s Day meal?

The main dish here is likely to be steak, although a heart-shaped pizza is also on the possibilities list. And I’m planning to see whether this Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding lives up to my decade-old memories of it.

When it comes to meal planning, are you a rebel? We’ve laughed together as we discussed that some weeks as soon as we make a plan we reject what’s on the list for tonight. My own plans sometimes have as many circles and arrows as a complex football play diagram, but at least I have a starting point and reminders of what ingredients are on-hand. We all know plans can change, so it’s fine (practically expected) when your week gets rearranged from your posted plan. You may choose to report actuals for the prior week to share ideas with others.

The January discussion is still available for reporting the last week and follow-ups

Reminder – Keep your comments menu / food related. And in the interest of faster viewing times, please use the Knife&Fork “like” under a comment to indicate you liked it or want to echo what was said by another, rather than posting a separate comment.

4 Likes

Back in my kitchen and both excited to cook and somehow lacking motivation at the same time :joy:

Planning for some simple and comforting favorites I’ve missed, let’s see where I end up from there.

8 Likes

I made this coconut lime red lentils soup from vegetarian times, and I will make it again…it was fantastic… first day we had it with roasted veg, second day we had it with shrimp…delicious both ways! https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/coconut-lime-lentils/

2 Likes

Looks good!

The carrot soup uses Thai curry paste, the lentil one has an Indian spice profile, but they are easily interchangeable!

1 Like

Hello from another snowy Friday in Ottawa, Canada. I’m winding down another quiet week and shall enjoy it while it lasts since my social engagements will be picking up this upcoming week. It will be nice getting out again. My menus during the next few months will involve finishing up bits and bobs in the freezer. I have enough beef, pork and fish to last until the end of March and I have enough chicken to last until the end of April. That’s not factoring in the meals I eat out so my freezer finds may last a little longer. I paid for my CSA this week and it starts in the middle of May so I hope my freezer is as empty as possible by then.

Today: Take out lunch this week is a bento box. I will have a salad for dinner with the two solitary chicken wings I found in the freezer last weekend.

Saturday: Off to see a live opera in I-don’t-know-how-long! I will have dinner before although I haven’t decided where. Right now I’m dithering between Japanese or Asian fusion.

Sunday: Greek salad and a rainbow trout fillet based on this recipe.

Monday: garbanzo vegetable green curry. I will only make half of the recipe this time since I have 2 tbsp. of green curry paste and a cup or a cup and a half of cauliflower left that I want to finish up.
Tuesday: chicken cacciatore, pasta of some sort on the side.

Wednesday: liver (last serving!), roasted veggies on the side (delicata squash, zucchini, red onion)l

Thursday: First film society screening of the winter season. I will walk to the theatre and randomly pick somewhere to eat on my way there.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

5 Likes

I had some red lentils, so that was the inspiration to find a new to me recipe

I’m thinkin’…
•Beef Broccolini (using stuff from the freezer)
•Minestrone with decadent grilled cheese sammies (more freezer purging)
•veggie burritos (bell peps, zuke, brown rice, black beans, pico, cilantro, guac, cheese, sour cream)
•crab anything, if the price is fair
•quesadillas or chile verde or both
•breakfast for dinner, probably french toast or quiche if crab isn’t available for crab earlier in the week
•chicken paprika (I make mine with V-8 juice) more freezer purge
• tomato beef curry to round out Lunar New Year

Freezer purging is going well. I’m making room for crab meat, if I am so blessed, trout and summer produce when it gets here. I still have lots of berries to make into ‘very berry jams and jellies’ before the weather gets too hot.

1 Like