What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

that sandwich looks killer, but i’m mostly jealous of your bread. i can’t find a good sesame seeded roll, just sliced. which is fine but…

2 Likes

I enjoy hearing about all of your cooking adventures - successful or not!

Prime rib-eye on the grill. Wilted spinach. Horseradish sauce. Leftover mashed potatoes were optional.

More cake and strawberries.

18 Likes

The one thing we have plenty of in NJ is good seeded semolina loaves!

2 Likes

Thanks! Things are rarely perfect, or even close, so I’m always looking to get closer to the ideal.

1 Like

Dinner started with a plan to make Japchae and ended as a Korean spread I cooked and took over to my friends’ place :yum:

I was halfway through making the Japchae in the afternoon when my friend called and invited me over.

But… I still wanted to eat Korean, so I did some quick menu thinking and called her back to ask if they were open to eating Korean. They didn’t have a plan yet, so it worked out well.

I finished the Japchae, made rice, then a quick store run to to buy meat and some banchan-ish stuff.

Snagged the last jar of kimchi at the store (woot!), and decided on Galbi over steak with Gochujang butter (because the fried rice was already pretty strongly flavored).

So the menu was:
Arugula salad with soy and sesame oil dressing
Scallion salad
Broccoli slaw banchan
Napa cabbage Kimchi
Wild mushroom Japchae
Bacon-Kimchi-Butter fried rice
Galbi

Manhattans to drink.

Man I missed Korean food while I was away!

29 Likes

West African peanut stew with chicken thighs, ginger, chile de arbol, coriander, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, fenugreek, cloves, tomato paste, peanut butter, diced tomatoes, eggplant and okra - served over rice

18 Likes

Lucky, lucky friends!

5 Likes

Goes both ways!

1 Like

Yes, indeed!

This looks so much like something I made decades ago called, I think, “Gold Coast Stew with Chicken”. I bet it tastes wonderful!

1 Like

I found it’s best to step on a scale after you’ve been sick and lost your appetite for a week.

6 Likes

When I cleaned out my freezer last week, I found TWO BOXES OF THIN MINTS GIRL SCOUT COOKIES from last year’s season. So excited!!!

7 Likes

SCORE! I always put Thin Mints in the freezer - I love them that way. I was in Brownies and Girl Scouts in the 50’s and 60’s and have fond memories of our cookie sales - I remember going door-to-door in our neighborhood taking orders on paper and then going back weeks later and delivering them. Thin Mints are the only ones I buy now.

5 Likes

One of my friends once made tiramisu with Thin Mints.

It was, um, interesting. I suppose if you’re a fan of Thin Mints, you would’ve loved it.

@TheLibrarian28 and @retrospek I admire your willpower! My Girl Guide cookies never make it to the freezer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Me too, although in the mid 90’s. I still remember two houses in town who didn’t come to the door when it was delivery time. I didn’t push it, figuring they didn’t have the money and regretted the order. Some things you never forget.

Probably not. DH likes Oreos and would eat a trifle made with them. I think if I was forced to make a dessert for other people with Thin Mints, I might do a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream, a drizzle of chocolate liqueur and stick a frozen Girl Scout cookie in the side of of it.

2 Likes

I lived in a small town in Ohio when I went canvassing door-to-door and sometimes it was dusk before I walked back home. I did have one creepy experience, but not a razor-blade-in-an-apple kind of Halloween tale. Things are so different now. Our local small town ACE Hardware store has set up a table inside to let Girl Scouts sell their cookies in a warm place in the daylight hours.

1 Like

Tonight we had a Jain style matar paneer, which topped baked sweet potatoes. Green salad on the side.

20 Likes