What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Santa Maria-ish tri-tip. I put my cast iron skillet on the grill to heat and seared on all sides, moved it off the heat, added alder chips (no red oak) covered the grill and pulled it at 130 degrees. Served with canned and doctored pinquito beans, mixed greens salad with tomato, avocado, red onion, blue cheese, ranch dresssing and toasted garlic/butter baguette.

20 Likes

A repeat of the aushak dinner: leek and scallion dumplings with lamb sauce and yogurt.

18 Likes

I did! Like this, but this was not from last night.

I used this recipe shared by @NotJrvedivici

…which mentioned roasting rather than blanching. I went with slices for more flat surfaces.

Today I had a birthday “supper” at Mustard’s in Napa; husband’s favorite so he knew that’s what I’d want :wink:

Many things were good, but I just can’t seem to get a medium rare burger anymore! I established eye contact with the waiter and implored him. “Please” I said. "Not medium. " Oh well. Husband’s NY strip steak was a perfect medium rare, instead of the medium he’d ordered, so I brought what he wouldn’t eat home along with mey mostlyuneaten burger! Yay! Maybe I can salvage it at midnight.

There was great pinapple upside down cake, but I couldn’t finish at 2:30 PM. Husband didn’t finish his either. I put ice cream on it, and brought his home in the same box. He hates that! :grin:

20 Likes

I dunno if spatchcocking it prevented the drying out. I assumed it was marinating in shio. Hmmmm, now I wonder.

And I did make the horseradish ice myself. It’s milk, freshly grated horseradish, a little sugar, a little salt and some time in the freezer.

1 Like

Happy BIRTHDAY @shrinkrap! Hope you enjoy more birthday meals before the celebration is over! :birthday::cake::champagne::clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

Dinner was very late bec I spent the time I should have been cooking chatting with a friend…

So scrambled-together dinner was a big. warm salad of shaved Brussels sprouts (with red onion, garlic, smoked paprika, aleppo flakes) topped with roasted butternut squash (garlic, garam masala, cumin), with a generous sprinkling of sunflower seeds, parmesan (unnecessary in retrospect, and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses which were just the finishing touch the squash needed.

Quite delicious for a use-up-the-produce meal that came together without much thought.

Last night I made a riff on Nigella’s riff on Bengali fish bharta (literally: mash). Made a fresh batch of quinoa+rice to go with while the fish fingers baked.

I made the onion-ginger-garlic-green chilli-mustard base and then added lots of broccoli slaw to it and adjusted flavoring. When the fish fingers were nice and crisp, I added them to the pan with cilantro, broke them up and tossed lightly to distribute the seasoning without making them soggy. Ate with quinoa+rice.

This will definitely be repeated!

21 Likes

Oven-roasted brown mushrooms (with rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika) with a taleggio-infused bechamel sauce served with mashed potatoes (with parsley and tarragon) and baby arugula salad with an olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, agave nectar vinaigrette (the recipe was calling for chickweed and garden cress but both are impossible to get anywhere)

14 Likes

Yesterday I met a friend for what was going to be one round of drinks at a bar overlooking the water. Yes, summer is here…and so is the traffic and crazy crowds. One drink turned into two, and then a round of drinks was bought for us by someone who recognized me from Instagram-- my ego needed that! Tanqueray and Tonic for me, a Bay Breeze for my friend. There were nachos as well.

Not in a cooking mood, I ordered Chinese for the BF and I. And maybe I had another G & T. A rare Sunday off for me it was.

Today we both worked but got out early enough to catch some sun at the beach. Came home and I made burgers. White American Cheese for both of us. However, I had the strangest craving for yellow mustard AND ketchup, so there’s a little of both under my patty. Grilled asparagus for good measure and to get a vegetable in there.

No booze tonight as there was a big hockey game to focus on, which they thankfully won!

22 Likes

As you’ve seen ad nauseam, we eat tons of self-caught fish. Most of it is usually filleted as that is what the Captain prefers. On Sunday, Mr Bean asked if we could have a whole one as I got it in my head that I wanted to grill a whole fish. Type didn’t matter as long as it wasn’t a fluke/flounder.

Black sea bass stuffed with lemon and thyme then grilled on a bed of fresh thyme. Delicious. I hope there will be more over the summer.

22 Likes

Yum

2 Likes

Happy Birthday, @shrinkrap !

2 Likes

Lovely. I love whole grilled fish and much prefer it over filets.

3 Likes

For Memorial Day, crawfish boil, top neck clams, chilled squash soup and salad with balcony lettuce.

IMG_2614
IMG_2611
IMG_2603

23 Likes

Dinner a couple of nights ago. Cleaning out the fridge and pantry, just a couple of steps ahead of ingredients that would not be good if I waited a few days more.

Motley collection of dishes from various regions.
Erissery ( Kerala dish, using up butternut squash instead of pumpkins, using up red gram beans, using up frozen shredded coconut, using up rapidly dehydrating green chillies)
Aloo mirchi sabzi (standard North Indian, using up bell peppers and threatening-to-sprout potatoes)
Steel cut oats green pulao, bulked up with chickpeas and soya chunks. (Using up green chutney and TJ zhoug, using up the last of the SCO and soya chunks).

Plain yogurt not in the picture. But my two-tier masala dabba inherited from my grandmother is.

20 Likes

That’s the one my mom has! The new ones don’t have the inside “shelf”/cover.

3 Likes

Hope you had a good birthday! And maybe try ordering your burger closer to rare vs. asking for medium rare. That way, maybe you’ll get the desired medium-rare! LOL

2 Likes

Had a very satisfying meal last night. A steak marinated in a simple marinade of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and cooked in the air fryer. Had that with a baked potato first cooked in the Instant Pot, then transferred to the air fryer (great way to cook baked potatoes), an air fried veggie kabob, and hot rolls.

17 Likes

Today’s dinner (no pictures, as it’s not dinnertime yet).

Usually we cook once and eat two meals. Leftovers are lifesavers. But again I had to move quickly on some more ingredients. Yesterday’s aloo sabzi got finished, and the pulao and erissery leftovers are getting frozen.

Today’s dinner: strawberry gazpacho to use up the strawberries instead of in a cake. Recipe loosely based on this: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-soups-stews/strawberry-gazpacho/
Garlic toast to go with: brown bread, butter, garlic, finely minced onion, thyme, red pepper flakes.

6 Likes

Yes… maybe. Or maybe I just have to make it at home.

2 Likes

Another quiche: leek, scallion, tarragon, asparagus, bacon, gruyere and a little nutmeg.

Will serve with leafy greens in vinaigrette on the side.

Store-bought crust, and all veggies and herbs from the garden.

22 Likes