Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

Let’s use this thread to share concise weekly dinner menus for each week in April. It’s helpful if you can include your location and how many people you are feeding. Links to recipes are always appreciated, and sources help. We all know plans can change, so it’s fine (practically expected) when your week gets rearranged from your posted plan. You may choose to report actuals for the prior week to share ideas with others.

It’s a tough time of year for meal-planning here in the North. There’s lots more daylight, but not yet warmth. And frequent rain / show showers. All of which makes it too early for salad-suppers or grilled meat. Maybe a week of soups and breads/biscuits will “magically” get made this month, since I seem to have accumulated a stack of those recipes in my to-try folders.

The March discussion is still available for reporting the last week and follow-ups.

Reminder – Keep your comments menu / food related. And in the interest of faster viewing times, please use the knife&fork under a comment to indicate you liked it or want to echo what was said by another, rather than posting a separate comment.

3 Likes

It’s the beginning of April already! Where did March go? I’m just happy it’s Friday since there’s no shortage of excitement at my office this week. On Wednesday our director announced suddenly that she is leaving and next Thursday is her last day. This is actually good news since she is toxic so hopefully her replacement will be more agreeable to work with. We haven’t had much luck in our division since each subsequent director has become more toxic than the last. Change in the workplace never bothered me before but I get incredibly anxious now whenever a new director is hired since I never know what we’re going to get. Eight years until retirement… I don’t have any plans for the weekend yet other than staying at home tomorrow. I have a few random chores to do tomorrow that I’ve been putting off for awhile so it’s time to face the music. I’m not sure yet what I will do Sunday although I guess it will depend on what the weather is like. If it is sunny out a walk will be on tap since it continues to be mostly overcast and I could use a good sunshine fix right now. This week’s menus for a singleton from Ottawa, Canada are as follows:

Today: Today’s take-out lunch is fish 'n chips. The coleslaw it came with had way too much salad dressing on it but the fish, chips, and tartar sauce are all quite tasty. The usual salad for dinner.

Saturday: Take-out. Maybe Korean (pork bone soup) or Filipino (bulalo) either way it will probably soup.

Sunday: Basa fillet curry.

Monday: Peanut butter noodles with cucumber.

Tuesday: The last serving of beef stew in the freezer, egg noodles, peas on the side.

Wednesday: Pork chop, squash, one other veggie tbd.

Thursday: Linguine with marinara sauce. Veggie sides using whatever veggies I have left in the freezer.

Next week’s brown bag lunches will alternate between Greek salad and avocado quinoa salad.

14 Likes

Greetings, People.

Entering the fourth month of freezer and pantry clean out. Our upright freezer is pretty much down to soups and stocks, baking supplies, baked goods (on going), leftover holiday treats, and the balance of last year’s garden produce. It sounds like a lot now, but you should have seen it “then”. It’s all relative. In the chest freezer I’m starting to see bottom (on occasion) – yay! Sticking to it. Now that spring truly has arrived in the PNW, I’m happy to augment what we have on hand with fresh greens from the garden.

Cooking for two adults:

FRI: Lentils with chorizo and kale. Yellow rice.

SAT: Kachapuri with cheese and herbs.

SUN: Pan roasted chicken thighs. Lemony orzo with peas and asparagus.

MON: SK skillet ravioli. (Confession: I’ve never made this popular dish.) Will use greens from the garden.

TUE: Beef on the grill. Asparagus spears.

WED: 4-cheese calzone with cheese and greens.

THUR: Pork souvlaki. Greek potatoes or homemade pita (both?). Green beans.

14 Likes

I hear ya about nearly seeing the bottom of the freezer on occasion. I was making excellent progress on emptying mine out but I had some tomatoes and fresh basil to use up about a month ago so I made some marinara sauce. A lot of marinara sauce… I’m making progress in using it up though so all is not in vain. Also, I’m jealous of your garden greens - we still have snow on the ground :frowning:

2 Likes

Lol - I hear you on the reshuffling. I cooked up some big bags of beans to make room in the pantry, only to portion out the cooked beans and relocate them to the freezer. I suppose I got them one step closer to being consumed (or at least more likely to be used in cooking), but some days it can feel like a slow slog to the end goal.

3 Likes

Congrats on your progress! And I think that was your photo of new garden asparagus on WFD… so nice to see the season is Spring somewhere. We’re getting 5 inches of snow tonight.

2 Likes

Hello to everyone from the snowy Twin Cities of MN where we had pea sized hail today at 630 and we are looking at 4 inches of snow and counting now as I type this at 1130 PM Counting my blessings- one of the Iowa tornados came too close for comfort for my brother - bring on the snow! Good news: we passed our building final inspection! Big kiddo leveled up in skating (despite a hard splat belly flop catching her toe pick on an edge) Not so good: little kiddo has been on a diarrhea bender for a week that even Imodium won’t stop. Good variant out of that is the rest of us haven’t caught it (yet?) Actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls:

Tues 28: The late night of skate show rehearsals. Leftover ravioli for little one, frozen commercial burritos for Mr autumm/big kiddo, secret takeout stash for me

Weds 29: No swimming cause the pool pump was broken (sooo not sad about this) Leftover pork loin, stuffing, green peas

Thurs 30: Take out pizza after picking up new skates for big kiddo and to celebrate her test passed and the inspection passed

Fri 31: Toasted english muffin sandwiches with scrambled eggs, avocado. salsa and cheese. Assorted crudite

Sat 1: Would very much like to make lasagna but not sure if it will happen logistically. Morning is skate show Pictures so might not get to have the sauce started in time. Might bump this to sunday as I can’t see us going to the zoo in little one’s current GI status

Sun 2: See what happens on Saturday and adjust accordingly

Take care everyone! Super jealous of all of you having a real spring!

15 Likes

I’m so impressed with your freezer clean out. Great work, while eating well.

4 Likes

Congratulations on the building inspection!
And to big kiddo’s skate promotion.

Hope little kiddo’s stomach settles down soon.

8 Likes

Cooking for 3-5 adults including one recuperating patient (my mom) whose appetite is spotty and finicky at the moment (vs. her usual eat-everything approach) in Mumbai vs. my usual NYC.

A meal plan is even more helpful to me at the moment than usual to organize my thoughts. At lunch, we follow the house approach of one-day-at-a-time, decided the night before, but it’s always an Indian vegetarian meal that follows the traditional pattern of vegetables+legumes+chapatis+yogurt/buttermilk so it’s not too hard to pick one from each column. Dinner is currently my domain (because everyone else is either exhausted or fed up or both by then), so that’s what I’m focused on planning with a view to variety and tastiness for the patient, who usually doesn’t want to eat anything by evening.

Last week actuals where they deviated from my plan, and some ideas for the coming week:

Tues - Steak dinner for us, burger with the same sides for mom. Miso butter mushrooms, garlic broccoli, scalloped potatoes.
(Thai curry was coopted as lunch menu so I had to come up with something else for dinner.)

Wed, Thurs - Soup, tomato salad, and sandwiches (I made too many sandwiches, so we ate them two days in a row). Soup varied, sandwiches were smoked salmon and corned beef. Mom had soup, fresh bread and butter, and cheese one day, Beyond italian sausage and salad the next.

Friday - Korean! Mixed mushroom Japchae (big hit with mom) including some wonderful oyster mushrooms, plus Beyond steak and Chicken lollipops (frenched wings) in a riff of the Buldak Bal glaze from prior COTM Koreatown. Whole meal was extremely successful and will be repeated!

Sat - Sushi bowls for sis and me (shrimp, smoked salmon, avocado, carrots, nori, mushrooms) with steamed broccoli on the side, mom has opted for leftover Japchae and steamed (from frozen) vegetable-paneer momos.

Sun - Baked ziti (except macaroni) with simplified Marcella sauce, side vegetable or salad. Or stuffed shells – we’ve got both jumbo shells and cannelloni at hand, stuffing mixture will be malai paneer instead of ricotta plus the rest

Mon - Indian Chinese: Vegetable Hakka noodles, Paneer Manchurian (freezer), Soya chilli chicken, one more vegetable (either garlic green beans or something I can’t think of yet)

Tues - Freezer leftovers for us (Ghee roast crab, Goan prawn curry), tbd leftovers for mom from whatever she liked from preceding days.

Wed - I’m thinking coconut curry noodle soup with lots of vegetables might be hit the spot for everyone, with some added chicken or shrimp for us.

Thurs - I’ve had Spanish tortilla on my mind so maybe a Spanish-leaning meal, but have to think of something good and vegetarian for mom to center it around. Maybe mushroom croquetas, I’ve also got spanish-stye grilled and marinated artichokes, or I could do veg paella if she’s up for it. Could also add some smoked paprika to veg hot dogs and sautée as mock-chorizo. Will keep thinking.

Fri - Pizza, which is always a favorite for everyone. Maybe I’ll make the crust instead of being lazy and getting the pre-baked one. Some sort of salad.

Sat - Baby lamb chops coated with potato for us, vegetarian kheema-stuffed potato chops for mom (maybe, otherwise leftover pizza), tbd vegetable soup.

Sun - Cheesetoast (the sandwiched kind) and tomato soup for everyone.

The fruit is great at the moment, so we’re enjoying grapes, watermelon, and chikoo (sapota) while the mangoes come into full swing.

Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend, and a peaceful and delicious week ahead.

17 Likes

Congratulations on the inspection, and yikes on the stomach bug - hope it settles soon and passes the rest of you by!

Your lasagna idea is tempting me.

3 Likes

Kudos on the freezer / pantry discipline and progress!

I chuckled as I read along, because I have somehow become the family freezer cleaner / organizer: first my brother’s during the pandemic (several times, yikes), then my own when I got home a year later, and now my mom’s, because they have a small upright one that my brother and I delight in filling up, and that I finally tackled earlier this week. Everything has now been grouped and bagged, and I even made a (word) “map” and list for my sis who is usually in charge of it so she knows where things are.

But at least we know what’s in there now and can work our way through it, like you have been doing so methodically!

7 Likes

I need another week of Spring Break. Alas…

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: I picked up some bakery treats for this weekend, so I’ll be finishing up chocolate chip scones from the freezer when those are done.

S:(tonight) takeout - pizza for him, empanadas for me

Su: Chili (ground turkey), with fries leftover from lunch out on Friday.

M: TJ’s butternut squash ravioli, spinach, Boursin cheese - vegetarian

T: Shrimp tacos - seafood

W: Pasta with chicken Italian sausage, spinach, red sauce, parmesan

Th: French toast (bakery Challah as a base) with chicken breakfast sausage

F: Pizza - pepperoni and spinach

Have a good week!

12 Likes

Hi, everyone. Spring might finally be here in the Boston area - it was 63F yesterday!

Sun: chicken pot pie with cornbread biscuits (NYT)

Mon: spanakopita chicken meatballs (Rachael Ray), Greek roasted potatoes (https://www.thechunkychef.com/wprm_print/12888)

Tues: chicken and black bean tostadas, Mexican rice with Ro-Tel

Weds: steak tips, either mashed or roasted potatoes, salad

Thurs: I’ve run out of energy for planning. Leftovers if we have them?

Fri: takeout

15 Likes

I’d happily eat everything on this plan!

5 Likes

Two in the Berkshires of Western Mass where the weather has been normal and boring thank heaven
Last week I stayed close to plan and will repeat the paparadelle and shrimp this week. I also decided that the reason the family likes my meatballs is that I buy the ingredients at the pricey butcher. The commercial meatloafmix is blah. I am having a redo. tomorrow
Friday April Fool was stuffed peppers and salad
Saturday I made a small lasagna with meatballs and a new to me no cook lasagna noodle. I tossed the leftovers and froze the meatballs.
Sunday fish for me and stuffed pepprs for DH. Swiss chard.
Monday do over meatballs and tbd
Tuesday something DH likes
Wednesday shrimp dish broccoli
Thursday scrounge… cheeseburgers?
We are doing Easter a day early due to kids school schedules
Friday meatballs and spaghetti for kids TBD adults
Saturday Easter dinner … DS and I will decide and shop
Sunday leftovers for me and DH

13 Likes

I feel for you. I went from having the best boss I’d had in my working life to the worst. We had a mutual disrespect for each other. So, no surprise that when I applied for early retirement, at 53, with a reduced pension, it was approved with speed. I reach 20 years of being retired in September - probably the second best decision I ever made (after deciding to share my life with Mrs Harters, when we in our teens).

12 Likes

I don’t blame you on deciding to retire early. I will be eligible for early retirement in two years but would prefer to wait until I am eligible for a full pension in eight years from now. I’m worried about running out of money before I run out of life but at 58 years old I am getting too old to handle workplace stress.

10 Likes

Cooking for two in a lovely springlike northwest England. It’s the Easter weekend - we have no religious faith but that’s no reason not to feast.

Friday - a Thai-esque aubergine & tomato curry (Nigel Slater recipe from Kitchen Diaries 1 - can’t find it online)

Saturday - this meal probably couldnt get more “English spring”. Potted shrimps (bought). Roast leg of lamb, roast spuds, peas, carrots, gravy, mint sauce. Rhubarb crumble and custard

Sunday - hosting a family get-together. Purple sprouting broccoli with anchovy & chilli dressing. Vegetable & cheese tart (Rachel Roddy recipe). Spuds & green beans. Apricot fool for afters. I fully expect ther ardent meat eaters to be less than thrilled with dinner

Monday - steak, saute spuds, veg

Tuesday - oat crusted haddock, spuds & veg

Wednesday - possibly celebrating a friend’s 70th birthday. Our treat. Her choice of restaurant. If not, out to an Italian place in the city for the two of us.

Thursday - sausage pasta bake (from the freezer brown gloop drawer).

10 Likes

Garlicky mushrooms? Pan con tomate? Or Curate here does a fried eggplant dish with honey that folks rave over. I always like those little wrinkly salted potatoes with dipping sauces from the Canary Islands.

Some good ideas here: https://spanishsabores.com/11-delicious-vegetarian-options-in-spain/

1 Like