Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

Those haunt my dreams (we were last in the Canaries in 2019). We’ll be in Tenerife in a week or so.

1 Like

I’ve only ever made them myself, but they are fun.

1 Like

I started planning my Easter Dinner menu. I really didn’t want to cook a big ham, so I started thinking about just getting a ham steak (slice of ham), but then I remembered I had leftover (cooked) Christmas Ham frozen in the bottom of the freezer.
So that makes my life a lot easier.
Easter dinner will be… Re-heated (Christmas) Ham, pork stuffing, sweet potatoes, pork gravy, peas and cranberry sauce. Sunshine loves cranberry sauce – I always open a can at any of the BIG meals I prepare for any holiday. I picked up a chocolate Easter Bunny for Sunshine, so that will be her dessert.

5 Likes

We usually spend three weeks in Tenerife each winter but havent been able to this year as medical issues prevent us getting travel insurance. I like the little Canarian potatoes but, after three weeks of getting them at almost every meal, I get sick to death of them.

My SiL did have a week there in January and brought us back jars of green and red mojo sauce which I also get mighty bored with when they appear at virtually every restaurant meal.

We make papas arrugadas quite frequently…with both verde and rojo/picon mojos…it’s like getting “Christmas” salsas in New Mexico. I can never choose between red and green!

2 Likes

I love how you show love through your food, always.

8 Likes

A local restaurant in DC served huevos divorciados, which was eggs topped with red sauce on one side and green on the other. SO good and perfect for someone like me who just can’t choose.

4 Likes

Thank you!
Both of us meandered through life in short term relationships (2 years maximum) until we met each other. We’ve been together over 11 years and enjoy each day together.
And yes… I do try to bring some joy to her day.
Easter is a special occasion, so I’ll “bend” the rules a bit (in regards to her diet).

7 Likes

Thanks! Lots of good ideas!

2 Likes

I love huevos divorciados! Delicious and visually beautiful.

2 Likes

Greetings, People.

Last week’s meal plan went awry when we bumped into some fresh halibut on sale. We rarely see it so early in the season and couldn’t resist - it was a fresh and delicious treat. As a result of the fish feast, there are a couple of meals here which rolled over from last week’s menu.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: White pizza with fresh asparagus, marinated artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes. Salad.

SAT: Veggie calzone. Salad.

SUN: Chicken stir-fry TBD. Rice.

MON: SK skillet ravioli with ricotta and spinach.

TUE: NYT’s White lamb Bolognese with spinach and peas.

WED: Beef, either grilled or with stir-fried asparagus. Thanks to @tcamp for the stir-fry link.

THUR: Homemade fruit vareniki from the freezer. Carrot salad.

15 Likes

I badly want tomorrow’s pizza.

5 Likes

Hello everyone I’m posting a day early this week since I have a busy weekend coming up. I have Good Friday and Easter Monday off so I will be spending my time running errands and will try to squeeze in some rest time while I’m at it. Today’s quinoa salad is mediocre at best so I won’t be making it again. It’s just quinoa (which I overcooked - my bad) with tomato, cuke, and avocado with a lemon juice vinaigrette. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just lacking some oomph. If I try it again I will probably use different vegetables or sundried tomatoes and black olives or something completely different. Tonight I will have pasta with a marinara sauce. My menus for this week look like this:

Friday: After Wednesday’s ice storm I am determined to take out my summer clothes. Even if we get raging snow storms all next week I will be going to work in sleeveless blouses and sandals. I am done with winter! Stir fry for dinner to finish up some random veggies.

Saturday: Off to the west end to pick up my pre-ordered Easter dinner from a local butcher. I will pick up Saturday night dinner while I am there. They have an assortment of pre-made dinners but I will probably cave in and buy their mac 'n cheese again since it is very addictive. Apparently they use seven different types of cheeses.

Sunday: Happy Easter! I will be dining on smoked ham, scalloped russet and sweet potatoes, and green beans. I don’t have to cook anything!

Monday: Off to the Lebanese store to grocery shop. I am planning on having a basa fillet with black bean sauce and Asian style veggies although plans may change depending on what veggies are available or I might even get take-out again. The store I’m going to has a really tempting take-away counter.

Tuesday: Gnocchi with grilled chicken (which will probably be poached or stirfried since I don’t have a grill) in roasted red pepper sauce.

Wednesday: Pork lo mein using last pork chop in the freezer.

Thursday: Fettucine al pesto, a salad of some sorts.

Have a nice Easter to those who are celebrating.

And a couple of gratuitous photos from yesterday’s ice storm.

17 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where we’re having the usual spring roller coaster between winter (but no ice storms, fingers crossed) and summer.
Friday, April 7 (today): Out for dinner at a hotel restaurant we’ve been wanting to try
Breakfast: Sweet potato waffles for us and an Osterbrot (German Easter bread) for choir brunch between services Sunday
Saturday: pecan-crusted chicken (maybe nuggets for higher crust-to-chicken ratio), rice pilaf, collard greens
Sunday: Going nontraditional with a giant Porterhouse steak on the grill (will probably sous-vide first), cheesy mashed potatoes, and a salad with various green vegetables. Trying to decide on dessert now that I can’t find rhubarb for the Ottolenghi rhubarb-blueberry tart I had planned…
Monday: White bean and farro stew from Cook this Now; leftover greens/salad
Tuesday: Pizza and trivia
Wednesday: Vegan shepherd’s pie (I may top with some Parm, don’t tell…)
Thursday/Friday: Scrounge/TBD
Hope everyone is enjoying whatever holiday they are celebrating and eating well! Happy cooking!

12 Likes

Am I the only one who needs about three weeks of sleep?

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Baked a Williams Sonoma lemon bundt cake, so I’ll be having that for a few days before putting the rest in the freezer. Tastes good, but the crumb is a bit dense, closer to a pound cake.

S:(tonight) takeout - green chile burritos

Su: Ham steak, au gratin potatoes, asparagus.

M: TBD - dinner out before an event

T: Pasta with chicken and asparagus in a garlicky cream sauce.

W: TJs gorgonzola gnocchi with spicy pecans and spinach - vegetarian

Th: Chicken and veggie stir-fry with rice

F: Veggie and cheese enchiladas, topped with shrimp - seafood

Have a good week!

13 Likes

Actuals for Apr 3 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where the snow from the April Fools storm has melted completely and only clods of snirt (snow/ice/dirt) remain by curbs, beside driveways and in heavily-shaded spots. I had planned to bake a traditional molded lamb cake for Easter this year, using hints and the frosting from day one of the Eight Days of Lamb Cakes posts, and buttermilk lemon pound cake, a combination we’ve enjoyed in past years. But I got started on a bookcase clearing/sorting project Saturday and decided the remaining (commercial) frozen lemon pie will be just fine for dessert. Our mutual get-rid-of-heavy-stuff Spring cleaning continues – he sold 2 more stereo speakers, I gave away 7 hardcover college textbooks from the '70s and bagged dozens of paperbacks to trade-in.

Mon: Skillet 20-minute Macaroni & Cheese (From ATK Best Skillet recipes cookbook) shrimp, peas, cantaloupe
Tues: BAKED: half- batch of tassies w/ filling frozen in Dec., half-batch of mini-quiche. Box mix brownies – half dotted with peanut butter before baking, all frosted with melted chocolate chips.
Dinner - Chimichangas(from freezer), packet of cheesy rice w/ added tomatoes, corn.
Wed : reheated Mac & cheese w/ added chicken. Spinach salad with apple, walnuts, mandarin oranges
Inspired by a FB poster Bridgette Hulbert’s recipe that included pasta and twice as much dressing
Thurs: Curry cod over coconut rice, broccoli, Dessert – slivers of Lemon Meringue pie.
Fri: Egg rolls (Schwans frozen), fried rice & broccoli w added Chicken. Fresh orange. Also started prep for Sunday’s devilled eggs - hardboiled a half dozen and pickled some in beet juice, per New Midwestern Table recipe.
Sat: Crab (Surimi) dip w/ crackers, lobster risotto (Costco), cold pea salad
Sun (today): EASTER – ham with (Joy Of Cooking cookbook) Spirit Glaze, sweet potato, devilled eggs, asparagus, ripe olives, lemon pie.

12 Likes

Hi, everyone. Cooking for two adults and a tween in the Boston burbs, where the weather forecast resembles a yo-yo. Winter coat one day, no coat the next, and back to the winter coat.

My gluten-free baking projects are continuing… Cannelle et Vanille Bakes Simple looks amazing, and I’m excited to try the non-sourdough boule this week.

Sun: ham for Easter, potato kugel (SK because I don’t have my grandma’s recipe) for Passover, and asparagus because it’s technically spring.

Mon: skillet chicken parm (The Dinner Plan) over polenta, broccoli. Must go to the grocery store first thing in the morning because I didn’t go today and it’s too late now.

Tues: going to the gym with DS after work so dinner will be breakfast - cheesy eggs (maybe with ham?). Toast for me with last week’s buckwheat/whatever bread, delicious poison bagels from the freezer for the guys.

Weds: ham/kugel 2.0, something vegetable too

Thurs: DH and I are going to a restaurant for a friend’s “spring gathering” aka “don’t you dare call it a milestone birthday party”. DS has the first session of a theater workshop that night, but amazingly the stars have aligned and it meets around the corner from the restaurant, AND at roughly the same time.

Fri: tbd but I was thinking burgers on the grill, if I get it set up by then, with fries.

13 Likes

Two adults in the Berkshires
For a snack with coffee I repeated https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a37895712/cinnamon-roll-breakfast-casserole-recipe/
We had company, 2 adults and 2 kids, for the weekend.
Friday italian meatballs and spaghetti for kids, barbecue pork meatballs and cheesy grits for the adults.
Saturday was Easter dinner. My son brought a rack of veal
and after internet searching made us roast veal chops with smashed potatoes. I made a mushroom gravy and asparagus and broccoli
Sunday was Easter brunch, deviled eggs and candy.
Sunday night it was back to two adults. I made spaghetti and salad.
Monday freezer dive, leftover broccoli and salad.
Tuesday SK spinach ravioli
Wednesday we are having a heatwave and I hope there is
gas in the tank so I can grill some steaks.
Thursday more grilling planned… probably ccheeseburgers.

11 Likes

Checking in from a very damp North Cheshire.

Friday - tuna, noodles, marinated cucumber, teriyaki sauce (bottle)

Saturday - We’re going Italian-ish. Peperonata to start (Claudia Roden “Med”); Chicken with grapes (also “Med”), polenta, something green; Panna cotta (homemade) or, more likely, bought tiramisu.

Sunday - Bambi burgers

Monday - An old favourite. Pork fillet, cut down its length and opened like book. Lemon zest, basil leaves and garlic added and tied up again. Marinates overnight in lemon juice and bay leaves (from the garden). Roasted. Salad to accompany

Tuesday - Chickpea, cauliflower curry, cooked in coconut milk, spices. Rice

Wednesday - probably a family birthday dinner somewhere. If not, something from the freezer brown gloop drawer

Thursday - out. Local “small plates” restaurant with friends (nope, not my choice but it will be our treat for the friends 70th birthday)

13 Likes

When you say Bambii burgers I assume they are made with venison?