Weekly Menu Planning - March 2023

Meals for two, in a damp and chilly North Cheshire.

Friday - burgers

Saturday - Purple sprouting broccoli with anchovy dressing. Followed by chicken with a mango salsa and saffron roast spuds (Delia Smith, How to Cook Book 1). Cheese for afters (we have Single Gloucester and Worcestershire Hop)

Sunday - Lamb chops, houmous, Gazan Salad (Yasmin Khan, “Zaitoun”)

Monday - Squash & lentil dhansak (freezer brown gloop drawer ) & rice

Tuesday - Sausages, baked beans (tin), oven chips (otherwise known as “couldnt give a shit about dinner” night

Wednesday - out. Bistro type place in the city (Modern British cuisine).

Thursday - Kedgeree (moved from current week as plans chnaged)

14 Likes

This isn’t exactly planning ahead. LOL.

Sunday was leftover takeout Syrian mezza, homemade Lebanese-style fried garlic tomatoes and lamb meatballs.

Monday was homemade shake & bake chicken thighs and quarters, pasta with Carbone brand marinara, chard with garlic and vinegar, Waldorf salad, German-style dill cucumbers (to last all week). Strawberry rhubarb pie from a grocer.

Tue: stuffed eggplant, protein to be determined. Potatoes to be determined.

Wed: roasted squash

Thu: no idea

Friday: fish to be determined

Saturday: rib-eye

9 Likes

I do agree, having eaten a lot of different frozen pizzas over the pandemic. The most palatable (to me anyway) was CPK (bbq chicken, but there are others), which while not “real” pizza in the takeout sense, is tasty as its own food group.

If you ever go to TJs, they have a couple of frozen flatbreads that are good.

2 Likes

I wish we lived near a TJs … when we did we often had one for a quick lunch on weekends.
DH does not like thin crust either so that rules out several good options for a quick slice.

I am going to make a stuffed eggplant inspired a Tunisian Tuna Sandwich

I haven’t made tuna-stuffed eggplant before. Posting a few ideas.

Tuna frittata

1 Like

ginnyhw - Does Schwan’s / Yelloh deliver in your area? Maybe worth a try for higher-quality frozen deep dish or thicker crust pizza? https://www.schwans.com/products/category?c1=11452

Actuals for the last week of March, cooking for 2 in MN. Where I was at last able to retrieve the (Christmas decoration) artificial garland from the mailbox pole, just before we got another 6 inches of new snow - Mother Nature’s April Fools gift. Lots of large-batch mains with reheats and rotating sides again this week.

Mon - Coronation chicken – Chutney chicken over spinach and brown rice. Half recipe.
Tues - reheat Tater tot, green bean, ground beef casserole.
BAKED Orange Yogurt Scones
Wed: noon - Pork & sweet potato w navy beans chili. Kings Hawaaian rolls.
Wed dinner - John Wayne casserole (half recipe) with prepared cornbread stuffing as topping in place of biscuits as crust, and w/o the 2 shredded cheeses. Base was great but that stuffing is too salty for me, and I added cheese to the leftovers. Guac, tomatoes, and corn chips.
Thurs - reheat Pork & sweet potato w navy beans chili. Kings Hawaaian rolls, shredded apple/carrot salad on spinach, red grapes
Fri: (Schwans) frozen breaded fish, brown rice, (bag) salad, red grapes
Sat: reheats - lunch - Pork & sweet potato w navy beans chili,dinner - John Wayne Casserole
Sun (today): Salmon, peas, deli potato salad

12 Likes

I broke my foot and am on crutches with no weight bearing, so my ability to cook is extremely limited for the next 4-6 weeks. I can just about manage simple dishes if I am able to balance in one spot and have someone collect ingredients for me. My DH is doing more cooking lifting, so I’ve got a grocery pickup order ready with convenience foods; he can cook but time and energy are limited between full-time work and wrangling our almost 6-yo. Here are my easy ideas (unspecified veg sides will come from CSA):

14 Likes

Sorry to hear that, Christina, and hope you recover quickly.

When I had my knees replaced and was similarly using crutches. a friend loaned me his “perching stool” which allowed me to rest my backside on it and still be at a height I could cook somewhat. I needed to be more organised than usual, making sure I had everything within arms reach before I perched.

6 Likes

@ChristinaM so sorry to hear that! I’ve been there - had good luck with putting a smaller desk chair on wheels (like this) in the kitchen, so I could roll around rather than walk between the fridge, stove, and sink.

5 Likes

More condolences on the foot. I hope adding extra carry-out nights is part of the plan for the next month or so. Good luck!

4 Likes

Bummer! Sounds like you have aced the menus. Hope there is wine time scheduled and you have a pile of books you have been waiting to read. Please take it easy!

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I ordered one of these, arriving Tuesday. Hopeful it will be a game changer.

7 Likes

oh gosh Christina! I guess you will get some enforced rest…sending best wishes for a speedy recovery! Maybe your son can help out with handing ingredients and opening the oven. I wish I were nearby so I could drop off some food and entertain your son for a while. And I hope you can get some good food delivered.

4 Likes

Agh my plentiful typos are making my eyes bleed!

DH is a finicky eater and doesn’t like thin crust or deep dish. I like a thicker sour dough crust when I can get it.

1 Like

Reminder - April planning discussion is ready when you are Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

1 Like

Wishing you a speedy, smooth recovery.

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting these. My son broke his ankle at college this week and rhis would be perfect

1 Like

Good luck with your recovery. Sorry to hear this happened.

1 Like