What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

I don’t think I saw whole turkeys but definitely breasts and leg portions, possibly even a half turkey. Hazy memory, sorry (but this was on a recent trip).

1 Like

Oh no! Especially painful given the egg and herb investment.

2 Likes

That looks delicious!

1 Like

Last night I made Cajun “barbecue” shrimp with cheddar heirloom grits and topped with scallions and dressed microgreens. CSA broccoli with oo as the side. Really tasty but my husband was hungry an hour later and ate a meal’s worth of snacks.

17 Likes

LOL! I’m lucky I have any memory at all

Steakhouse at home tonight, a meal my dad would have loved.

Grass-fed NZ strip (reverse seared but a bit overcooked for my liking on one side, I was going for medium rare, half of it was, the other half wasn’t), scalloped potatoes, garlic broccoli, miso butter mushrooms, and some garlic toast because mom had been thinking of it for a few days. She had a beyond burger in place of our steak. I made some pan gravy with the steak drippings, garlic, miso, and a bit of rum that was quite tasty.

(In weird things to be pleased about, I used the same pan to make the mushrooms, broccoli, burger, and steak.)

27 Likes

A nice tribute—a meal in his memory. Keep up the good thoughts there. Do that often. Do you have any special way you make those potatoes?

1 Like

Roasted wee winter squash with garlic butter and burrata with salad and toasted bread. This is one of our favorite meat free dinners (what’s not to love about a whole ball of burrata to yourself and garlic butter?).

18 Likes

No matter how much time goes by, certain meals ring with a “Dad would have loved this.”

Looked delicious. Food is a great memorial.

11 Likes

Chicken Fried Steak with cream gravy. Red skinned mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, cheddar and horseradish. Carrots with butter and orange marmalade.

21 Likes

I want to eat all of this! Do you deliver?

5 Likes

Chinese scallion pancakes – I used chicken schmaltz for the fat. Sweet soy dipping sauce. Chili crisp. Leftover pork and shrimp fried rice from last night.

21 Likes

21 inches of snow this morning. Had to plan of not leaving the house . Stocked up on groceries and wine . Great northern bean soup with ham hock .Cheers. Waiting for spring

25 Likes

Team effort tonight.

BF made honey-garlic Brussels Sprouts topped with peanuts. We had a bag of sprouts in the fridge that needed using up. It was the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and savory. This is an appetizer to an entree I cooked later which is not Asian, but who cares?

I don’t know what to call this creation. It’s like an Arrabiata/Giambotta*/Cacciatore hybrid. I started out frying some bacon, removed it, and cooked cubed chicken breast that had been coated in seasoned flour in the grease and some olive oil. Removed that, then sauteed garlic, chili flakes, onion, and mushrooms, sprinkled a little flour, and deglazed with dry vermouth. Added the chicken back in along with hot cherry peppers and crispy roasted potatoes, stirred in a few spoonfuls of Rao’s marinara sauce, and done! I thought it was great but would add more sauce next time. There were two ways to approach this dish: extra saucy or just enough to coat, and I chose the latter. The bacon was a last second addition and it made all the difference. Heat level made us sweat!

*Given the hysterics in the authentic food thread, I’ll note that New Jersey restaurant Giambotta is much different from the traditional Italian peasant dish, which is more like a vegetable stew and doesn’t contain meat at all. There’s little resemblance despite the shared name.

Chartreuse and tonic while cooking. Beefeater rocks with dinner.

21 Likes

Tonmight’s dinnrr was beans over tomato sauce (there really is tomato sauce under all those beans), rice and peas.

11 Likes

3 Likes

That soup looks delicious! I was thinking of making split pea soup with ham hock - looks like it will be an Easter project at this point. Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for spring.

2 Likes

Tried a new-to-us place downtown that serves hand-pulled noodles & Chinese bbq. It did not disappoint. Our merry group of seven did not hold back ordering alllll the things: lamb, beef, squid, fish tofu, and chicken skewers, shrimp dumplings and baozi, 3 orders of the noodz, one veg, one with roast duck, and one with beef. All good. The noodles were perfect & on city-level - nice discovery! Sweet & juicy oranges for dessert on the house :slight_smile:

17 Likes

What does this mean?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear: I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding Northwestern Chinese hand-pulled noodles I would only expect to find in Phila or NYC was a pleasant surprise.

Hope that explains it better.

ETA: I was going to use the A-word, but I really don’t wanna go down that rabbit hole again :yawning_face:

3 Likes