May 2022 COTM Nominations

Time to start our nomination process for our May, 2022 Cookbook of the Month. For those of you new to this post series, here is how it works. Each month we choose a book to cook from as a group. We start with a nomination thread (this is it!). You many nominate as many books as you wish. Please nominate with the intention of joining us in cooking from the book and reporting on the dishes you make, should your nominee be selected. In order to nominate, please put the name of the book in ALL CAPS in the comments below. Titles that are not in all caps will not be counted.

The nomination period will end at 12 noon, EDT, on April 18. At that time, I will count the nominations, and the books with the most nominations will move forward to the voting phase. The book that receives the most votes will be our May COTM. A reporting thread will be posted on May 1.

Let’s get nominating! And remember, there is still plenty of time to participate in our April COTM, Simple Thai Food.

THE KOREAN VEGAN by J Molinaro
THE WOK by Kenji L-A
THE NEW MIDWESTERN TABLE by A. Thielen
THE FIRE OF PERU by R. Zacate
TASTING ROME by K. Parla

1 Like

THE KOREAN VEGAN
THE WOK
THE FIRE OF PERU
BLACK FOOD (edited by Bryant Terry)
SUMMER KITCHENS by Olia Hercules

The Wok is still really new, but it’s an important book, and from what I’ve seen of it so far, very good.

1 Like

Repeating my noms from last month:
COOK EAT REPEAT / Nigella Lawson
COOKING FROM YOUR PANTRY / Nancy Silverton
COOKING AT HOME / David Chang

BOTTOM OF THE POT: PERSIAN RECIPES AND STORIES by Naz Deravian

COOK EAT REPEAT by Nigella Lawson

LAND OF FISH AND RICE by Fuchsia Dunlop

THE NEW MIDWESTERN TABLE (Amy Thielen)
CARMINE’S COOKBOOK (Michael Ronis and Mary Goodbody)
THE FOOD LAB (Kenji)
MESA MEXICANA (Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger)
EXTRA VIRGIN (Garbriele Corcos and Debi Mazar)

SYRIA:RECIPES FROM HOME; (Itab Azzam & Dina Mousawi)

Adding to my previous noms:

LAND OF FISH AND RICE - Dunlop
FLAVORS OF THE SUN: The Sahadi’s Guide to Understanding, Buying, and Using Middle Eastern Ingredients - by Christine Sahadi Whelan.

1 Like

THE BARBUTO COOKBOOK, by Jonathan Waxman

TASTING ROME by K. Parla
MESA MEXICANA
LAND OF FISH AND RICE

THE NEW MIDWESTERN TABLE, Amy Thielen

COOK EAT REPEAT

I’m very interested in the vegan Korean book, but the hold line is still very long at my library.

BLACK FOOD (as already mentioned)
FLAVORS OF THE SUN (as already mentioned)
BOTTOM OF THE POT (as already mentioned)
EDIT: Also as already mentioned: FIRE OF PERU and TASTING ROME

I’m adding BOTTOM OF THE POT.

I’m adding with thanks to MelMM for reminding me:

SUMMER KITCHENS Recipes and Reminiscences from Every Corner of Ukraine by Olia Hercules

I got it from the library just now and although it’s hardly summer here in Boston and won’t be for sometime, it’s very interesting.

Not expecting it to make it this month, but submitting in an effort to keep it in the running for future consideration.

I really like this author’s other cookbooks (Kaukasis: A Culinary Journey through Georgia, Azerbaijan & Beyond, which I own and and enjoy, and Mamushka, which I was finally able to order today from Amazon. I seemed to have purchased the last copy available today after checking often over weeks). Seems to be available on Kindle, but I can’t cook from Kindle.

Before nominating Summer Kitchens, I looked on Amazon to see the status of Mamushka, and noticed only one copy left in stock. That is why I nominated Summer Kitchens instead. I did get Mamushka when it was on a very cheap deal for Kindle. I don’t love the Kindle format, but it was worthwhile to get a look.

I would like to say that Summer Kitchens is not all what we would consider summer produce in the US. There should be no hesitancy to cook from this book based on season. There are plenty of winter veg included, root vegetables, and yes, there are summer vegetables. I think for most of us in the US it would be considered an all-season book. I’m making a mushroom/grain/bean dish from it for dinner tonight.

A CHANGE OF APPETITE by Diana Henry
AT MY TABLE by Nigella Lawson

REAL CAJUN by Donald Link