SIMPLE THAI FOOD - April 2022 Cookbook of the Month

KUNG PHAT PHONG KARI | SHRIMP CURRY STIR-FRY

As described in the recipe, it’s a Chinese-Thai dish. I did as advised in the recipe, toasted my curry powder in a dry pan over low heat for a minute in advance. As for the cooking, first I heated the wok with oil, added minced garlic and sliced onion for 1 minute wtih high heat, Then added the shrimp and cooked briefly, followed by the egg mixture (milk, egg, chile jam, curry powder, salt sugar and chicken stock) for another 2 minutes. Stirred in the celery.

The taste was fine, but the tiny bits milk egg curd, disturbed me a bit, I was thinking maybe I did something wrong, but I found the same in other photos of the same dish, so I guess it’s the style.

9 Likes

PHAT WUN SEN | STIR-FRIED GLASS NOODLES WITH CHICKEN

Made this for lunch. I mixed up slightly with another recipe in the book Glass noodle salad, as I read both recipes last night, so I had wood ear mushroom and dried shrimp in extra for this dish. Cooked the minced garlic in high heat, then added the chicken, tomatoes, re-hydrated mushroom, soaked dried shrimps, sliced onions, fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and pepper. Followed by the noodles and chicken stock and continued to cook for a minute. Added the egg, cooked 1 minute more and lastly celery. The dish was okay, nothing particularly stood out, maybe I under seasoned and a bit more sauce would be better.

12 Likes

IMG_3829
KUNG PHAT PHONG KARI | SHRIMP CURRY STIR-FRY

I followed the method as described by naf. I, too, was not a fan of the appearance of the egg curd or its texture. Still, the flavor was very good. Mr. Ramone even had seconds, and asked for the leftovers the following day… and for him, that’s saying something.

11 Likes

The recipe in the book mentioned the original dish uses crabs instead of shrimps. So I checked out the dish bpuu pat pong garee, stir-fried crab with curry powder.

@klyeoh Is the egg/milk curd normal in bpuu pat pong garee (stir-fried crab with curry powder) or kung phat phong kari (shrimp curry stir-fry)? I guess you know this dish more than us. Thanks in advance.

7 Likes

CHICKEN-CASHEW STIR-FRY
kai phat met mamuang himma-phan

Pretty simple to make, there was a bit of transferring things out of the pan and back in. I like chicken and also cashews, and I liked this.

12 Likes

Just in case any of you haven’t seen it, the May nomination thread is here:

GROUND PORK OMELET
khai jiao mu sap

I made this (half portion) for a quick lunch - mix eggs with ground pork, cornstarch, fish sauce, water, and lime juice, and fry in a lot of oil.

10 Likes

Did you like it?

RICE NOODLES WITH BEEF-TOMATO GRAVY (kuai-tiao nuea sap) - ebook

I’m putting the picture at the end of my post with this warning: UGLY FOOD ALERT. Please feel free to scroll quickly past the photo. There is no picture in the book for a good reason.

I can’t say this dish was on my radar. The only reason I chose to make it was because I had 8 oz of Impossible ground open in the fridge, left over from using 4 oz to make mapo tofu a few days ago. It needed to be used up, so I searched the book for ground beef recipes, and this is what came up.

I used dried wide rice noodles, and followed the instructions to boil, drain, and rinse. You start by stir-frying the cooked noodles with a bit of thin soy sauce and sweet soy sauce. They are then removed to the plates (which have been lined with lettuce). Then you make the sauce. Start the stir-frying with garlic, then add ground beef (Impossible), and break it up. Then add onion, tomato, and preserved cabbage. Then you add the sauce mixture, which is broth, cornstarch, thin soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and curry powder. And some celery goes in. This quickly thickens to a gravy. It’s served over the noodles, and finished with white pepper.

So, yes, this is ugly. As for taste, we were divided. Mr. MM liked it well enough, and cleaned his plate. I ate most of mine only because I was very hungry. Really was not a fan. It was the curry powder that ruined it for me. It just seemed completely out of place to me. This is not a repeater as Casa de Mel. YMMV.

9 Likes

It’s not ugly, just looked a bit greenish, but I think it’s the tone of the photo. As for the curry, do you think it’s a dosage problem or you prefer curry paste?

You plated it beautifully, Mr. MM enjoyed, and it filled you up. I’m noticing a lot of the home-style dishes in this book are not especially showy, but hey, they are good-eating, so bon appétit!

Yes, it was good! The fish sauce gave it a nice flavor.

2 Likes

The green in there is celery, which is oddly added near the end. As for the curry powder, I used the amount specified. It was too much. Actually I would have preferred none at all. I don’t think curry paste would have been good here either. I was kind of expecting something like a bolognese but with the sweet/umami flavors from soy sauce (both thin and sweet) and oyster sauce. The curry powder just didn’t seem to go, and judging from the headnote, using it is a topic for debate. Also I use a very fragrant curry powder that might be more pungent that most (Penzey’s Majarajah blend), so perhaps a smaller amount would have been better, but I really think I would have preferred none at all. It isn’t that I don’t like curry powder, it just wasn’t good in this application.

2 Likes

Rainy, this was not good eating!

:rofl::rofl:

It seems every recipe in Simple Thai Food ends with celery leaves. I checked with the book Thai Food by David Thompson, the dishes finish with celery or spring onion, sliced onion and coriander.

I checked 4 Thai recipes meat with rice noodle and tomato sauce or gravy. 3 of them use no curry, the last one uses red and yellow curry paste with fish sauce but no soy sauce.

Can you provide links or sources? I might be willing to give this dish another shot without the curry powder.

Curry

A few recipes I read, they said a real pad thai shouldn’t have tomato but tamarind, they said tomato version is a US thing. I need to do more research on this.

3 Likes

By David Thompson with soy sauce gravy, but without tomato.

Thai Food by David Thompson P. 566 Rice Noodles and Pork with thickend “Gravy”

2 Likes