LEMON LOVE AND OLIVE OIL - March 2022 Cookbook of the Month

This sounds good. I’m not familiar with Peter Sanagan. Have you tried other of his recipes or possibly have his cookbook?

1 Like

TOMATO SALAD WITH TAHINI AND MINT, p. 47

This was definitely easy. I left out the cherry tomatoes. I just wanted to use up some cocktail tomatoes I had purchased for another recipe in this book, so I decided to make this. I also didn’t have mint, so I used cilantro. My husband really liked this, but as I suspected, the tahini sauce with the tomatoes just didn’t work for me. The richness of the tahini somehow dulled the tomatoes.

9 Likes

You’re reminding me I really want to buy Falastin.

He owns my favourite butcher shop in Toronto, Sanagan’s Meat Locker. I’ll find his bio. He worked in the kitchen at Mistura (now closed),which was one of Toronto’s top Italian restaurants, before opening his butcher shop. https://torontolife.com/food/the-butcher-next-door/

I don’t think I’ve tried any of his other recipes that have been published in the paper. I have sent soup, Tourtière, chicken pot pies from his shop to friends as gifts, and I’ve bought rotisserie chicken at his shop, if that adds any credibility.

I didn’t buy his book because I own hundreds of cookbooks. I haven’t bought any new cookbooks in 2 years.

Here is his recipe for leg of lamb with Tzatziki.

2 Likes

Falastin is really good. When Ottolenghi Flavour was COTM it reminded me just how much better Falastin was than pretty much every Ottolenghi book except Jerusalem. Which… wait for it… was also co-authored by Sami Tamimi. It may be an unpopular opinion, but at this point in my life, I’m much more interested in a Tamimi book than an Ottolenghi book.

7 Likes

I missed Falastin when it was COTM because life was too hectic, but I went back and read the threads carefully and was really impressed by how positive the reports were. I could tell it was a very solid book. I’m in total agreement with you about Tamimi, and about Jerusalem. I didn’t even bother to check out Flavour. SIMPLE was the last one I got and I haven’t been inspired by it.

Anyway, I’m visiting the in-laws in the US next month and just ordered Falastin to their place. Even with the exchange rate it’s less than half what it costs to buy here in Canada.

2 Likes

2 years! How do you do it? I try not to buy anymore cookbooks but I keep getting sucked in. Either an author that’s new to me or used books at a great price.

2 Likes

I was always buying cookbooks as souvenirs on vacation pre 2020 , and I’ve received dozens of cookbooks as gifts. I also went crazy when 2 independent Cookbook stores closed in Toronto, buying a dozen cookbooks in the weeks before they closed up. I’ve barely cooked from most of my cookbooks, and there are hundreds of recipes I haven’t gotten around to trying.

I did receive the newish Sheldon Simeon Cookbook from my cousin last year. I haven’t made anything from that Cookbook yet. I bought a Milk Street Cookbook on March 15, 2020, along with some oven mitts. That was the last cookbook I bought, and I’ve made 3 or 4 recipes from that book. It along with a few other cookbooks prop up my laptop on my coffee table.

I find I don’t cook from many of the newer cookbooks in my collection- haven’t cooked anything from Simple, Plenty, Momofuku (2009!) The French Laundry , yet, and I’ve had these books for over 5 years!

1 Like

The bo Ssam and the ginger scallion noodles from MOMOFUKU are amazing, and very easy.

5 Likes

I’ve had the Bo Ssam from the cookbook at TorontoJo’s house, at a potluck, but haven’t made Bo Ssam at home.
Thanks for the recs.

1 Like

I’ve made that Bo Ssam from Momofuku a couple of times. It’s wonderful!

2 Likes

I find this to be more reasonably priced considering the content of the book.
That is, when I compare it to other cookbooks that I’ve paid $50.00 for.

1 Like

Please join us in cooking from our April selection, SIMPLE THAI FOOD. Your reporting thread is here:

2 Likes

Nominations for May are here:

Voting thread for May is up:

I just looked at the seed link you posted. WOW! What fantastic seeds! What gorgeous produce! Thanks!

1 Like

SYRIAN BULGAR AND YOGURT WITH BROWN BUTTER PINE NUTS

I did not use the brown butter pine nuts. I didn’t feel like forking out $9.99 for 8oz. before I was sure I liked the dish. I replaced with roasted salted sunflower seeds.

You cover bulgar with hot water for 30 min. then drain. Add Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil and finely chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper then add parsley. Garnish with red chile flakes (aleppo pepper), nuts and additional parsley. My garlic clove was humongous…shouldn’t have used the entire clove. After it sits in frig it may be killer strength. I like this and will make again with the pine nuts. Would be really great with grilled chicken.

3 Likes

SYRIAN BULGAR AND YOGURT WITH BROWN BUTTER AND PINE NUTS

3 Likes

Sounds great! I need to try this one.

1 Like

I like the bit of chewiness the bulgar gave it.

1 Like