January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

Welcome to the reporting thread for our January–April 2024 BCOTM, Snacking Bakes (that’s a link to the EYB recipe index). Please use this thread to discuss this book and tell us about your experiences baking from it.

To report on a recipe, put the name of the recipe in ALL CAPS and include the page number, if it’s available to you. If you are the first to post about a recipe, please reply to this post. If someone has already posted about the recipe, reply to their post so all the posts about each recipe are linked for easy reference.

To respect the author’s copyright, please don’t post photos or verbatim copies of recipes. Links to recipes online are welcome, and you may post ingredients and summarize instructions in your own words.

Happy baking, and please feel free to continue adding reports on our previous BCOTMs: Baking With Dorie, Snackable Bakes, Gateau, One Tin Bakes, and Sarah Kieffer’s Blog & Books.

6 Likes

Thank you @CaitlinM

1 Like

I’m not going to buy this book but I’m going to post here links to the recipes from it that I find republished (with permission) online.

Pumpkin choc chip bars

Malted chocolate cookies

Banana nut blondies

I also just joined Eat Your Books with a free account (five cookbooks) so I suppose I could make this one of them.

7 Likes

I baked the malted chocolate cookie before Christmas and its such a good cookie. Soft centre with crispy edges. It only made 20 cookies and they disappeared. Next time I will double the recipe. I have baked several more items and will report when i have time.

10 Likes

Very excited about this: I got it for Christmas, and have been trying to decide what to make first…

3 Likes

When my grandson was here, we made Mazurk?(my book is downstairs). I didn’t get to taste it because i gave them the whole square, sbut they raved about it. We used apricot jam.

3 Likes

There is SO much I want to make!

2 Likes

Oops, before Caitlin gets after me it on page 59

Another recipe i made and i think they were probably the best brownies i made Chewy Cocoa Brownies. They were chewy, intense chocolate flavour and look at that sheen.

15 Likes

I almost made this but then copped out bec of the method. Still want to try, though. Looks fab – how do they compare to your favorite brownie recipe?

I would never! But thanks for adding the page, anyway.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: i know

I dont really bake brownies very often. The last ones i bake were from Midwest Made and they were nice but lacked that shine i got with these. What was it about the method that made you hesitant to try this recipe.

1 Like

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS
(Not sure what page; baked from online recipe)

When I first read this recipe, I thought it called for a third of a can of canned pumpkin, but I eventually realized it called for a third of a cup. Oy! Now I have the rest of the can in the freezer, but kind of annoyed that this recipe calls for such a small amount.

Anyway, these are nothing special. Very sweet, dense bar. A bit more fragile than I would’ve liked. Prob won’t make again… unless I want to use up my leftover pumpkin :wink:

5 Likes

Toss the leftover pumpkin into a stew or something.

2 Likes

We drive ourselves crazy trying to use up odd amounts. Do you have a dog? Neighbors have one? I think they eat pumpkin.

I made the same malted chocolate cookies as @Stef_bakes - we loved these - but they spread WAY more than in the pic in the book. I experimented and baked half of them the next day (chilled dough in fridge) - same result.

10 Likes

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the walnut streusel cc coffee cake - I measured batter/streusel by weight to make sure that it was all split evenly and it was amazing.

13 Likes

BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARK - so easy and incredible. I loved this. Not much to look at it but so tasty.

11 Likes

WIsh I didn’t hate nuts… this recipe looks great