ASIAN NOODLES - Summer 2023 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter

Making a note of possibly my favorite Asian noodles, ho fun – which I adore as both Beef Chow Fun and Pad See Ew.

No access to the fresh noodles at the moment (and no inclination to make them from scratch, though I have before), so I’ll just crave them for a while longer.

Past attempt at Pad See Ew:

And Beef Chow Fun:

5 Likes

I don’t blanch; I microwave 5 seconds, pull apart, repeat if necessary.

1 Like

I often make some variation of these—so delicious. One question, though…did you intentionally break up the noodles or did they fall apart during cooking (and maybe that’s what is readily available in India)? I ask because I bought what I thought were fancy, bronze-die cut spaghetti for a clams and linguine-style dish on a recent trip to Vancouver Island. They annoyingly fell apart, resembling the noodles in your photo; it was difficult to eat the short pieces that got trapped in the clam shells. I saw a Canadian product and went with that, bypassing plain ‘ol Barilla. I could swear the same thing has happened to me in Iceland.

Good eye. I cut them with shears before serving because it’s easier and faster for my mom to eat at the moment while she’s bedridden.

3 Likes

Fish sauce?

My take on spicy peanut noodles with poached chicken and summer veg.

12 Likes

I’m not @Bigley9 but I have a couple of dishes that call for peanut sauce and the ingredients are almost word for word as described above - peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame sauce. I also add garlic and ginger. My recipes don’t call for lime but I’ll bet it tastes good with a little lime juice added. And chilli oil drizzled on top because I’m addicted to it :slight_smile: The fish saucce adds just the right amount of umami to the dish.

4 Likes

When I was looking at a zillion recipes to make my ultimate Beef Chow Fun, I came across this method; I think it’s ideal. I was always afraid of the fun noodle part and that ended up being easy.

I used skirt steak from WF, much better quality than most Chinese restaurants.

8 Likes

Looks great! What method did you use?

Oddly, the recipe did not call for fish sauce, and perhaps that is what it is missing

There were green onions as garnish. Perhaps garlic

Spicy Sesame Chili Oil Noodles

I made these beauties last week. I had the noodle type and wanted to make the best of them (thank you, Mala Market. It’s jst a basic sesame paste plus chile oil recipe, but quite satisfying with these wide, chewy noodles.

9 Likes

I was talking about microwaving fun noodles 33 seconds, separating, repeating twice more.

1 Like

Soy Sauce Braised Wild Mushroom Noodles, from The Woks of Life

Made this again for dinner tonight, using the dark mushroom soy sauce it called for. It really does make a difference in the overall color and flavor. Dried lo mein style noodles were the noodles - I cooked them at a boil for 5 minutes instead of the 6 called for, which was perfect for our tastes and held up well in the broth without getting soggy. This is a favorite in our house!

13 Likes

Soba with leftover steak and sugar snap peas.

Deets over at July COTM, RecipeTin Eats.

11 Likes

Ginger Scallion Noodles

There are a bunch of recipes for this, and iirc it was put into the spotlight by Momofuku.

I used my method for scallion ginger sauce / condiment, added a splash of soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and butter to finish.

These may have overtaken umami noodles as my favorite current noodle prep. My favorite part of tonight’s dinner!

12 Likes

Lunch was quick spicy peanut noodles with extra chile oil. The recipe was from the back of a chile oil bottle (forget the brand) that had an orange label, some time in the late 70s/early 80s - peanut butter, sesame oil, water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chile oil. I mostly just make it tasting as I go at this point. Always quick and filling!

12 Likes

Another favorite: Hakka noodles.

These are an Indian Chinese staple, and quite simple in composition for how delicious (and what a cult favorite) they are.

Finely shredded or sliced cabbage, carrot, capsicum (green pepper), red onion, occasionally green beans. Plus lots of garlic and optionally a bit of ginger and green chilli. Soy sauce, splash of vinegar and a bit of sugar to balance if need be.

Egg noodles are the original, but eggless noodles are more common now because it’s easier to make the dish vegetarian that way.

These can morph into other things, but the basic form is a classic for a reason!

Last night we had these as part of takeout, but I found my stash of noodles this week, so I’ll be making them myself again soon!

10 Likes

Two kinds of Asian Noodles today:

Sev Upma / South Indian Savory Vermicelli

Breakfast and/or afternoon snack.

Broken wheat vermicelli, toasted first, then cooked with aromatics, spices, and vegetables. Today I used cabbage, red onion, and carrot, along with a tempering of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, and green chillies.

Here is a recipe pretty close to what I made.

VIetnamese Curry Noodle Soup

Today’s rendition of this started with leftover red curry which sped up the whole process. I used a packet of ramen noodles instead of rice noodles (mom prefers them), and a bunch of vegetables – cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms, red onion. Shredded chicken into half. For flavor balance I added jaggery, maggi sauce (in lieu of fish sauce), and a squeeze of lime at the end, along with some cilantro.2

Forgot to take a picture of the dish itself, but I did take one of the tiny bit left over (which had soaked up most of the liquid :joy:).

This recipe is similar.

9 Likes

Is nobody cooking or eating Asian noodles anymore? :flushed::rofl:

Bueller? Bueller?

4 Likes