Weekly Menu Planning - January 2024

What a frustrating week! Hope the dinner martini did the trick, and enjoy museum day.

6 Likes

Ugh with the fridge situation and the internet double whammy – good luck with both!

I love ginger scallion noodles, from the simplest version to the fully loaded. I think they may actually be better with regular pasta (capellini is my favorite, but linguine and other long shapes work too) than ramen noodles, because the ramen is a softer bite.

Here’s a link to some of the recipes I’ve referenced, but it really does become a no-recipe dish after the first or second time. (A bit of butter is nice at the end.)

1 Like

Hiring a maid at this point wouldn’t be worth it. I wanted to clean the worst of the mess when it happened before the soup crusted onto the fridge and the sludge crusted onto the walls etc. Hopefully today’s clean up won’t take long.

6 Likes

Last night’s dinner martini was the best I’ve had :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the link is missing. Could you try providing it again?

Silly me - here’s the link to the Asian Noodles DOTQ where I reported several rounds.

5 Likes

I"m doing dry January, but man, this sounds tempting, and after the week you had, well deserved.

5 Likes

Easing into the Spring semester this week. Classes start next week. Wish me luck with prepping! I’ve planned all of our meals, but the only day that is fixed is Thursday.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: probably chocolate chips scones

S: (tonight) takeout - shared apps from a local pub

Su: Leftover chili on a baked potato, salad on the side

M: Macaroni and cheese with peas and/or spinach - vegetarian

T: Shrimp scampi with gnocchi (inspired by https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023571-one-pan-shrimp-scampi-with-crispy-gnocchi ) with salad - seafood

W: Flatbread topped with ham, Boursin cheese, and spinach, with salad

Th: Husband’s birthday. He has requested pizza from a favorite spot and Cocoa Pebbles for his dessert. :joy:

F: Green Chile potato soup with ham and cheddar - soup

Have a good week!

13 Likes

:rofl: So, no baking required!

3 Likes

Actuals for Jan 15 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where sub-zero temperatures haven’t kept me home; thankful for my cold-weather gear. And fretting about some (volunteer) count-reconciliations work had me sleeping less until I spent Friday figuring it out. A joyful Saturday morning baking spree was great fun. And reminded me how lucky I am to have a dishwasher that my husband loads, runs and unloads…as far as the counter. He knows the cupboards and drawers for tableware, and puts those away. But pots/pans/bakeware or cooking utensils are (usually) left out for me to stow. As I did so, I found the wooden orange-peeler that had gone “missing” last month, logically in the wooden-utensils drawer rather than the small knives/peelers organizer.

Mon: BBQ pork w grits, Panera squash soup. The soup used the last of a HUGE kabocha squash, roasted/frozen in October. Evap milk in place of Half & Half, and I toasted sunflower seeds as topping in place of pepitas.
Tues: Hot tuna salad on buns, reheat squash soup. Evening meeting.
Wed: lunch - casserole Chicken with Bow Ties and BBQ/Ranch, bag salad, Dinner - Stuffed salmon, biscuits, asparagus (all from commercial frozen)
Thurs: Morning volunteering. Dinner- A favorite skillet pork/sweet potato stew, over almond rice. I’ll post the recipe below.
Fri: Chicken with Bow Ties and BBQ/Ranch casserole, bag salad
Sat: BAKED Zucchini crust egg cups, Zucchini muffins, blueberry whole wheat muffin tops
lunch – squash soup, zucchini crust egg cups. Afternoon of errands including grocery shopping and getting new eyeglasses. dinner - pork/sweet potato /almond rice for two skillet, fresh pineapple.
Sun: (today) Steak, baked potatoes, (commercial) spinach souffle

13 Likes

Pork Stovetop Stew for Two with Almond Rice
Makes 4-6 generous servings for us
About 50 minutes start-to-tabletop – paring/dicing takes 10 min.,
assembling stuff 5- 10 min., Cooking 30 minutes.
Bev Bennett, food editor for Chicago Sun-Times - published in Mpls Star Tribune in 1990’s

1 tablespoons butter or oil
½ - 3/4 pounds boneless pork / pork tenderloin, cut into
half-inch cubes (2 C.) [ may substitute 4 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs]
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 T. flour (I omit)
1 cup chicken broth ( I use the rest of the can for rice)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder (I use Garam Masala)
1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches
original recipe had - 5 crushed peppercorns (about ½ tsp cracked pepper) - I omit
1 apple, peeled cored and cubed
1 large sweet potato (or carrots), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ c. golden raisins or regular raisins
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté about 2 minutes. (optional-Dust the pork with flour) Add pork to the skillet. Cook until pork is lightly browned on all sides, the onion has softened, and the pork is firm, and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.

Add cinnamon stick, curry powder, ginger and peppercorns and sauté 1 minute.

Pour in the chicken broth, and stir up the browned bits in skillet. Add sweet potato and and apple. Stir well. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. - Make rice while it simmers - Add raisins to the stew, cover and simmer another 5 - 10 minutes. Check potato/carrot for tenderness.

Remove the cinnamon stick, salt to taste and serve with Almond Rice. Makes 2 servings

Almond Rice

1 T butter
2 T. slivered almonds
¾ C. converted rice or long grain white rice
1 ½ C. chicken broth - I use the rest of the can of broth plus water
Salt, white pepper

Melt butter in medium pan. Add almonds and sauté over medium heat until golden, 2 -3 minutes. Stir in rice & broth. Bring to boil, stirring once. Reduce heat and cover, simmer until rice is tender 18 – 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Makes 2 servings.

3 Likes

I ended up staying in LdnOnt because of snow squalls and deep snow yesterday, which meant I had to postpone brunch with @rstuart a second Sunday in a row!

Which also meant I cooked dinner Sat and Sun nights last weekend and this weekend.

Last night was Strip Steak with Joe Beef Butcher’s Blend as seasoning, leftover pasta, leftover salad, and a fruit salad.

I’ve been binging after dinner lately to self-medicate, so Jamocha Almond Fudge Cake and other processed junk an hour after dinner.

Cooking for 3 in LdnOnt

Sunday morning: I should use those 5 small ripe avocados that I bought on sale, probably avocado toast in a moment.

Sunday dinner: roasted leg of lamb

Maybe a Swiss cheese and semolina casserole called Griessschnitten.

I really miss skiing lately. I used to make 2 weeklong downhill ski trips each year, and downhill ski weekly on day trips, and that came to an end in 2020. I tried to do a ski trip in 2022, spending 2 years of credit card points on a hotel for 2 nights, and it rained, and my boots were excruciatingly painful after 2 years of Birks /running shoes and maybe widening due to age/ lifestyle , so I didn’t ski at all, going on a rainy day coffee shop tour until it started to storm. This summer I found out I can’t ski anymore for other reasons. So LOL. Those days are over and I’m leaning Alpine in my dinner choices lately :joy:

I also am toying with the idea of picking up some Indian restaurant veg curries and daal as sides to the roast lamb.

Monday:
Maybe take-out pizza

Tue: I guess probably roast chicken. Maybe from this thread What is your favorite roasted chicken recipe or method?

Wed: I’m really tired of my cooking I don’t know.LOL. I will stop here.

Maybe I’ll be inspired by today’s shopping trip.

13 Likes

Hi everyone, hope you’re enjoying the weekend, and staying warm. Lulu had to go to Pittsburgh this weekend, where they are in the midst of a snowstorm. She planned on wearing her sneakers (ho boy), but I managed to find a pair of rain boots for her, which was at least a little better. That girl is massively unprepared for the difference in climate if she goes to a school up north. That said, it has been extremely cold here this weekend - it’s currently 27. Here is what we ate this week:

Mon: chicken with torn sourdough, Belgian endive, sherry, and raisins (COTM). I took a chance based on a couple EYB reviews, and we loved this!

Tues: chili-soy noodles with broccoli, peanuts, and chili crisp

Wed: Lulu had a college interview, so those two picked up a late dinner after. I had a cozy bowl of capellini with butter and parmesan

Thurs: roast chicken sausages, roasted tomatoes with fennel and chilies over feta yogurt (COTM), pita

Fri: empty nest dinner of smoked salmon croque monsieurs and salad (delicious!)

Sat: LLD made himself kebabs (from WFs), I made myself white bean shrimp scampi with spinach. We were both very happy.

Sun: Lulu should be home by dinner, some sort of carry out.

Stay warm!

12 Likes

Happy birthday to your husband!

7 Likes

I think I’ll make Harira with the leftover bone and any leftover lamb on Monday

3 Likes

Re. footwear and higher education: when I was at U of Chicago for a grad school interview weekend, in a very snowy Jan/Feb, another student shows up with nothing warmer than a hoodie, and sneakers. His logic: he was from Utah, and Chicago couldn’t be any colder than Utah was. One of the professors lent him a ski jacket for the weekend. I often wonder if the Utahn was offered admission…

6 Likes

Hi everyone. Is it spring yet? DH and I got bundled up yesterday evening to take the dog out and were shocked to see it was snowing again… sigh. It was just a dusting and the roads are mostly clear again. Doggo is mad that he can’t see the grass and his feet are cold.

We’ve got a week full of comfort food coming up. Wednesday night is a parents’ meeting for high school orientation, and I’m trying not to be freaked out by the thought of almost having a high schooler. Of course, DS is thrilled about having an evening to himself!

Sun: DS has requested quesabirria tacos this week after watching a really tempting TikTok - I’m using a different recipe that I’ve made before. Improvising some sort of Mexican slaw on the side. (I had thought to do carrots and jicama, but the jicama that I bought at the grocery store wasn’t actually jicama so… carrots and ???.) I also made a batch of Turkish red lentil soup (thanks to @MunchkinRedux ) for my lunches this week.

https://iamafoodblog.com/wprm_print/31388 but waaaay less heat per my previous notes

Mon: lasagna, green beans

Tues: cheeseburger totchos. I picked up “Nachos for Dinner” at the library yesterday and was inspired to try the cheeseburger nachos, but with tater tots. Salad to go with!

Weds: encore presentation of birria and/or lasagna

Thurs: marinated chicken breasts (lemon/dijon/soy sauce/honey, NYT), baked potatoes, roasted broccoli

11 Likes

I left North Carolina for college in Boston. I had no idea what was in store. I did have a winter coat (not waterproof) but I didn’t know what snow boots and waterproof back packs or EDIT book bags were. I was wearing suede sling backs during the first snow. I needed a rapid infusion of cash from my parents to buy boots.

Boston averages 49 inches of snow a year. 108 inches in 2015.

This trip to Pittsburgh might help Lulu to make some decisions. I wanted to go towards snow!

7 Likes

Happy Sunday, y’all! I am reporting actuals and plans for two in the burbs outside of Philly. Snow this week moved around meals a few times but was a good excuse for hearty cold weather meals.

Thursday 1/18- Ended up ordering stromboli from our local spot. I was so tired I accidentally ordered two pepperoni stromboli instead of one pepp and one sausage. Thank goodness my husband is an understanding man.

Friday 1/19- Iranian Lentil and Tomato soup. One of our new favorites; I have made this twice in the last month or so. Besides the parsley and lemons, everything is stuff I normally have in the cupboard so its a wonderful pantry meal. We skipped finishing with the parsley as snow delayed our grocery delivery but I did have lemons in the produce crisper so we still had that pop of brightness lentils need.

Saturday 1/20- Macaroni w/ meatballs and sauce. A ‘Sunday’ style sauce using a beef shank I had hiding in the freezer. Meatballs are two parts ground beef, one part ground pork. Groceries finally arrived on Saturday so we had the parsley for the meatballs and I am growing basil in my Aerogarden and its going wild so we had plenty of that as well. Husband ate his meatballs on a sandwich while I had pasta.

Sunday 1/21 (today)- Top round roast medium rare which will be served with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans. My baby sister is coming over for dinner before she heads down to Alabama on Tuesday to house hunt before her move. I am excited for her but very nervous too; she’s never lived this far away and she’s moving by herself.

Monday 1/22- Pulled pork sandwiches with some kind of freezer veg and either potato cakes (made from leftover mashed potatoes) or corn cakes. We got a double pack of pre cooked carnitas on accident with our Costco order a bit ago so that will be put to good use.

Tuesday 1/23- I have to go into the office in the afternoon for my yearly review. If I have the energy for it, I will make a Vietnamese Chicken Salad. If not, my husband will make hotdogs.

Wednesday 1/24- Best friend dinner night. We will probably order out.

Thursday 1/25- Jook w/ leftover chicken from whatever I roasted for the Vietnamese chicken salad.

The rest of the week will come to me as it goes. I hope all of you have a great (and warm!) week.

12 Likes

I have freshly-picked basil envy…

3 Likes