What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Skillet meatballs with peaches, basil and lime (NYT). Scented with cumin and ginger, I also added grated zucchini tonight ‘cuz we had some. Served with roasted green beans and long-grain rice.

One of those “must repeat” recipes I make at least once each year during peach season.

22 Likes

Shrimp tacos. Red cabbage, mango salsa, chipotle crema and cilantro. A Rosita

23 Likes

Salmon cakes with a quick tartar sauce, tomato pie without the crust, corn on the cob, frijole charros (pinto beans), peach tart.

10 Likes

I was supposed to go out tonight for fancy Indian foods with a big group, but instead I gimped around the house and make this mostly pre-prepared meal, which was still good. Tomatoes from the balcony with century duck egg, hot pot.

I’m okay with it. I guess.

18 Likes

Pibil pork tacos again with pickled red onions and habanero.

20 Likes

Plan was for momos (steamed and pan-fried at home from frozen), but I got delayed with some errands and then the worst Uber driver I have ever had in my life (he was out of petrol and CNG both but still accepted a 1 hour ride, couldn’t read the GPS, and more - and to top it off he actually left me at the intermediate stop where I was picking up pre-ordered dinner because the final destination was another 1km away which he wasn’t sure he could reach despite a stop to fill petrol :woman_facepalming:t2:).

Anyway, I ordered Chinese for pickup when I realized cooking frozen momos was more effort than I had left in me for the evening. Small variation on our standard order — wontons in garlic sauce, chicken lollipops with Sichuan sauce, hakka noodles, garlic fried rice, and both chicken and paneer with soya and chilli.

Late dinner because of the Uber disaster, but hit the spot. Enough for a second dinner too, probably, with a little supplementation.

22 Likes

It seems like pizza season right now :grin: Hence homemade pepperoni pizza!

25 Likes

Last night, I went digging through my freezer and found two chicken thighs. So I made Mayo Cheddar chicken thighs. Initially, I was going to make some “Stove Top” stuffing as the starch, but Sunshine didn’t want anything that heavy, and requested mushroom rice (Knorr side dish). Carrots were the vegetable.

18 Likes

Even when in France you want to have some changes of cuisine from time to time and so we heard from this Spanish tapas place in Strasbourg - Iberica https://www.iberica.restaurant/ And it didn’t disappoint with dishes ranging from beignet de bacalao to paella (which had a little bit of socerrat but not much)

Jamon iberico de bellota

Fried aubergines

Pulpo, potatoes, paprika cream

Patatas bravas with ailoi and salsa brava

Beignet de bacalao

Grilled small chorizos

Paella with pork iberique, chorizo, mushrooms

22 Likes

Leftovers tonight, some repurposed, some not.

I turned the red curry from the other day into curry noodle soup for mom with a few vegetable additions (cabbage, carrots, mushrooms), veg bouillon, flavor tweaks (jaggery, maggi, lime juice), and ramen noodles (preference vs rice noodles). Shredded the chicken from the curry in for a small portion for sis and me to start with.

We also finished the Chinese pork chops from another night, where the flavors had melllowed and melded nicely, with rice to soak up the sauce (additonal benefit that I could scrape off a layer of fat from the top, in addition to what I already poured off the first day, while keeping what was on the meat itself).

Forgot to take a pic of the soup until the dregs (which had absorbed the liquid)…

Was also motivated to cook up some snacks / breakfast for tomorrow as there wasn’t much to do for dinner: vermicelli upma (like stir-fried noodles, but with Indian tempering) and bottle gourd rava dhokla (steamed savory semolina cakes). Quite pleased with how both turned out – the latter was an attempt to recreate my aunt’s current signature snack that she brought for mom when she visited, and we had all enjoyed.

22 Likes

Agree; those sure are tiny thighs.

1 Like

I’ve been mostly leftovering this week, except for one dinner out at a local restaurant (which didnt flood) with a coworker for both of us to try and feel “normal” as we work through flood cleanup and trying to get into our temporary (permanent?) new office space.

I was craving a salad after running errands to pre-purchase some basic stuff we’ll need to try and make it as “normal” as possible when employees return to our temporary space (aiming for around Labor Day, depending on contractors).

Romaine lettuce, quartered hard-boiled eggs, rolls of Black Forest ham and Swiss cheese, sliced red bell peppers, cukes, and radishes, with grated carrots in the middle. Dressed with creamy Parmesan-pepper dressing. (Pic was pre-dressing because it looked better.)

A glass of wine.

27 Likes

Carb heavy brunch, carb lite dinner.
The usual suspects, stuff I had laying around the fridge. Tuna in olive oil, roasted peppers, feta, romaine, pickled onions, cucumbers and tomatoes(not in the fridge) Red wine/Dijon vinaigrette.

23 Likes

I admire the way you prepare and plate meals for yourself. When my DH is gone, I usually eat tuna and green beans out of cans standing at the sink. Hope your work life gets back on an even keel soon.

9 Likes

That’s insane!

I admire your efforts to make your workplace as normal as possible for your colleagues. Dinner looks delicious and enjoy the wine. Hopefully the boys will give you lots of cuddles and purrs.

4 Likes

ATK’s Sichuan green beans. Leftover grilled wings refreshed in a convection oven. Long grain rice. Homemade chili crisp.

19 Likes

Pizza, salad and wine.
Stonefire crust, homemade pizza sauce, mozz and provolone, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, red & yellow pepper, parm and basil. Lettuces, tomato, cucumber, green onion, oo&v dressing.

20 Likes

I’ve seen Stonefire crusts mentioned here a few times. I’ll have to look them up. A very long time ago, we made good pizza at home with Boboli crusts but they’re nothing like they used to be. Flour and I are not good working companions - I’ve never made bread or pizza crusts and won’t start now. Your meal (all of your meals, actually) looks scrumptious.

1 Like

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including hanger steak; tuna poke; scallops with roasted corn; fried calamari and rock shrimp; basil gnocchi; duck leg confit; and fries. It all went great with some excellent cabernets.

12 Likes