What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

People playing Silly Human Tricks on each other on Day 1.
(And HO playing silly tricks on users with “flies” on the screen this morning! Well played, HO, well played!)

Opening Day at ballparks across the country.
Marathon Day and Patriots Day in Boston. (Oldest annual marathon in the world!)
Chocolate bunnies that can’t hear because you always bite the ears off first!
Fresh new veggies…ramps and fiddleheads. And Easter spring lamb!
Dragging out the grill and lawn or deck furniture.

Springtime. Like, REAL Springtime with turned soil in your gardens, green grass, and new flowers. And maybe an allergy or two kicking in.

A rejuvenation of the soul. It’s April. How will you celebrate the true start of Spring?

17 Likes

Tonight, I’m making a Greek-style squid and rice dish. It’s a little like this, but with red wine added. https://miakouppa.com/2019/03/14/calamari-and-rice/

I will make Togarashi salmon this month.

This month, I’m planning to make Chilaquiles, maybe even Matzah Chilaquiles since the recipe popped up in my feed

I’m a stickler re: Easter Candy and Hot Cross Buns.
I don’t eat any Easter Candy or Hot Cross Buns until Western/Protestant/Catholic Easter Sunday.

I celebrate both Western and Orthodox Easters, which are a week apart this year, so that means lamb 2 Sundays in a row, and spanakopita at least once. I think I will dye some eggs this year. I’ll probably make Greek Easter Buns.

This recipe worked out well 2 years ago. https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/tsoureki-muffins/

I’m planning to buy a Kiev Torte or Royal Torte from a bakery for my birthday sometime this month. https://chocolada.com/collections/cakes Last year, I splurged on a Blackforest Cake.

The Netherlands celebrate King’s Day on April 27th, and I’m thinking I’ll order a rijjstafel to-go from one of 2 restaurants that serve rijjstafel in TO. I’ve also been craving war fries and bitterballen, so I will get an order of those sooner than later!

15 Likes

Ohhh, I’d be OK with lamb 2 Sundays in a row! (Making a mental note to add lamb to my shopping list very soon!)

3 Likes

I made beef stroganoff but I forgot the sour cream

Add image

WIN_20220401_16_19_11_Pro

s here

Add images here

16 Likes

Rice-stuffed calamari and salad for dinner

29 Likes

Looks good, how did you find it?

It was my first time making it, and I’ll make it again, but I’ll cook it a little longer! I’ll find the recipe that’s similar. I cooked this in the oven, covered at 325 F for 80 minutes. Would depend on the size of the calamari to some degree.

I had 9 calamari, and used a half cup of rice.
Roughly half the size of this recipe.

5 Likes

Smoked Haddock & Sweetcorn Chowder Pot Pie
From The Pie Room (Calum Franklin)

Made everything from scratch, first the fish stock from the frozen mackerel, mainly heads. The chowder with the fish stock, potato, red onion, milk, cream and thicken the soup with flour, added spice including mace , cayenne pepper, corn kernels, and smoked haddock. Pour into separate bowls and covered each bowl with puff pastry sealed with egg, and egg wash on the top. Baked for 25 minutes at 190ºC. Perfect for a “snowing day”. Yes, temperature dip today. There was snow but ground was too hot.

33 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Looks good! His pies are so beautiful. Your pie is beautiful, too.

Thanks, his pie is a phenomenon. It’s my first recipe from this book, didn’t make my puff pastry though.

1 Like

I made collard greens (subbing bacon grease for the oo) served with poached boudin blanc Cajun sausage and baby cornbread. Green salad with dressing made by DH. We enjoyed!

28 Likes

Ok Round 2 my husband came home today with triple the sized sweet potatoes than he bought for me a couple of days ago.
He really liked these and requested them again said that they were restaurant worthy.

From April’s COTM Simple Thai Food:

From

23 Likes

Left work late after a busy week and prepping for 3 new hires on Monday. Then went to get my second booster vax.

So I’m eating much later than usual, but I still went with my favorite Friday night dinner: steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked tater with TPSTOB&SC, and steamed asparagus.

Wine. I expect the booster to kick in soon and I’ll be sleeping way earlier than usual tonight.

31 Likes

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with fresh grilled figs, arugula, grapes, toasted pine nuts, mini peppers, and sautéed red onions with a reduced balsamic syrup and topped with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese. We started off with an appetizer of roasted figs topped with blue cheese and toasted pine nuts. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz.

28 Likes

that is just some gorgeous eats!

2 Likes

BF went all “Fiesta Iberico” tonight (his words!): Caldo verde with Spanish chorizo and a poached egg, sherried mushrooms (to die for), and gorgeous piri piri gambas, the latter of which were all mine except the one he ate just to taste! Sometimes it pays to have a seafood-averse BF. :stuck_out_tongue: Only thing missing was crusty bread to sop up all the garlicky juices, but I found the heel of a sourdough loaf in the fridge and toasted it up.

32 Likes

A green spring vegetable soup for openers, followed by pasta alla gricia with bacon and kale.

Leeks, spinach, peas, parsley, dill and kale from the garden.

30 Likes

Shrimp “my way”, which tonight means roasted then broiled with a chimichiri marinade.

Husband says “perfect” so probably a bit over and a bit salty.

30 Likes

Ok HO, you little devil, you got me. I tried to squash the ffs. WTF, then it dawned on me that it was April Fool’s Day. I made a game of chasing them around with my cursor and zapping them.
I did fire up the grill. Did chicken thighs slathered in bbq sauce, fully loaded cauli and red cabbage, snap peas, orange baby bell and daikon radish slaw. Dessert was a scoop of French vanilla ice cream with a shot of Galliano.

24 Likes