SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

All the egg salad talk spurred me to make open faced egg salad sandwiches for lunch to use up the last of the saffron aioli in the fridge. The rest of the prep was like I was making deviled eggs, but egg salad:

1 T. saffron aioli/mayo (which is to say, it’s mayo flavored with saffron, garlic, salt, and lemon)
1 T. regular Hellman’s
2 t. strong Dijon (I used Maille’s)
2 t. capers and whatever brine is also on the spoon
black pepper to taste
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled
paprika, for garnish

Mix together the mayos, mustard, capers/brine, and black pepper until well combined. Smoosh in the yolks from the hard boiled eggs until smooth. If lumpy, thin with a little more brine, half and half, or water and keep stirring. Chop the whites and add them. Stir until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle paprika on top before serving.

I like my egg salad to not have crunchy bits, but if you like the contrast of minced celery or scallion, you could certainly add it!

17 Likes

Could you taste the saffron over the boiled eggs?

1 Like

My turn for matzoh brei — with onions, scallions, brown butter, and beet-cured salmon.

I find comments like “this is the WRONG way to make matzoh brei” hilarious (check out the comments section of the NYT “recipe”) – I mean, it’s a home recipe for scrambled eggs with crumbled matzoh. You want it soggy? Soak the matzoh first. You want it crisp? Fry the matzoh first. So much angst for no reason :rofl: :woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

Oh, those look wonderful! And I LURV the addition of capers. I occasionally make some for my PIC, who also prefers his egg salad without crunchy bits - whereas I like them.

Are those toasted mini English muffins you served it on?

And now I’m ready for an eggy lunch :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I think I did! I enjoyed my meal there. I remember it was the day that the news came out that Tony Bourdain had died. We all ate something new to us in his honor (unfortunately I don’t remember what mine was).

3 Likes

I’ve never had Matzoh brei. I sort of want to order it at a brunch spot, if I find one offering it.

I have enjoyed chilaquiles. Not sure if anyone has mentioned them in this thread yet - doesn’t look like it

I forgot I posted this Matzoh Chilaquiles recipe. Never got around to it.

1 Like

Yes! My saffron is pretty strong stuff (the “coupe” grade from Penzey’s). The original mayo with it was 1/4 c. mayo flavored with a large pinch of saffron bloomed in 1 T. hot water for an hour and then mixed into the mayo with garlic, lemon zest, 1 T. lemon juice, 1 t. dry mustard, and a pinch of salt. You could definitely taste the saffron, both with the salmon I served it with originally and the eggs.

5 Likes

Sandwich sized ones! They are probably ~4 inches in diameter.

1 Like

Chilequiles, in my experience, is a dish often (but not always) served with eggs on top, but not an egg-based dish per se.

2 Likes

Agreed, because it chilequiles need not include eggs at all.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you for the clarification

Here is a Chilaquiles Scramble, where the eggs are folded in.

It turns out, in Mexico, scrambled eggs are sometimes added.

Maybe the chilaquiles without eggs, or with eggs on the side, are more Californian? I have no idea.

In Texas, migas have the eggs added to the strips of tortillas.

There are plenty of other Mexican direct-from- Mexico recipes for chilaquiles with eggs folded in online.

More than one way to make chilaquiles with eggs or without eggs, go figure. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe you’re thinking of Migas?

Migas are eggs scrambled with leftover tortillas or tortilla chips.

Chilaquiles are leftover tortilla chips tossed in sauce, topped with various things, often eggs or chicken.

Tis the season to just buy a box of matzoh and scramble some eggs with one crushed up – I wouldn’t pay brunch prices for it :joy:

3 Likes

I know about Migas :slight_smile: I like Migas.

I also like Chilaquiles. I have ordered them and I’ve made them (with eggs on top of to the side ):slight_smile:

It looks like there are chilaquiles recipes from Mexico, with eggs folded in! I’m hoping someone else will vouge for this concept existing, beyond the Chilaquiles Scramble recipe and the other Hola Jalapeño recipe I posted above. :slight_smile:

I realize the Chilaquiles that are more common in Canada and the States do not have the eggs folded in!

In this blog post, the blogger and her Godmother have a different idea of what chilaquiles are. The blogger’s mom added Scrambled eggs to her fried tortillas and called it Chilaquiles, whereas the Godmother considered those Migas. (There’s no resolution, just a recipe :rofl:)

4 Likes

Well sure, people can make anything the way they want :joy: — I just made lasagne with wonton wrappers :rofl:

But the only two necessary ingredients for chilaquiles are tortilla chips and sauce.

And for migas, they are tortillas or chips and eggs.

You can add the sauce from chilaquiles to migas too — but now we’re just moving ingredients around :joy:

2 Likes

How was that lasagna?

So good!

But I’m done with using wonton noodles, so damn slippery!

1 Like

Have you ever tried the Barilla No-Boil sheets?

What’s next?

How did you like the taste using won ton wrappers?

1 Like

On to souffle soon!

Yep. But if available, I think fresh pasta has the nicest texture for the bechamel type of lasagne, as it’s more delicate.

I use either kind of dried for ricotta lasagne, bit sturdier for the weight of the filling.

The wonton wrappers had a very delicate bite. No difference in taste.

1 Like

First crack at chawanmushi in a while. The taste was correct, but I think (maybe? I need to read up on this more) that I steamed it over too-high heat, sacrificing a smooth surface. Lots of hurdles here, not least that I forgot to cover the dish in foil before I put it to steam, and then had to figure out how to get it out of the pot without spilling it or burning myself. And I had a cute little ramekin that I intended to use, which turned out to be way too small. Onward and upward!

Almost done with the damn ikura, though!

9 Likes

I vaguely recall a bit of pushback against Barilla’s promotion of traditional families being perceived as anti-LGBTQI. Has that gone away? I never see Barilla ads.