What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Others on the Boston board might disagree with me, so please post there as well. I guess it depends on what you want. And I’ve never been to Spain, so I don’t know what is considered “usual” at a tapas restaurant.

Dali is the first Spanish tapas restaurant in the Boston area, opening back in 1989, I believe. I’ve been going there for a little under 30 years…and met someone last night who was there on opening night. Originally they served beer, wine, sangria, and a few aperitif and after dinner drinks. They are now a fully licensed bar.

Their menu sticks with what I know as traditional tapas, as known and designed by their late owner, Mario. Their clientele become family after several repeat visits; I and a friend at the time were recognized by Julio and Cesar behind the bar on our third visit many years ago, and so began my love affair with the restaurant and their staff. I was at their 20th anniversary party (mostly staff; 4-5 regular clientele), and they’ve become my Cheers.

I can go there on my own and enjoy the sunny atmosphere inside even when it’s dismal outside. (I’m not usually one to go to a bar or restaurant on my own unless I feel very, very comfortable there.)

So I’ll say that they hold a very warm place in my heart not just as a steady restaurant, but for the conviviality and welcome I always receive, even after not being there for 6 months. (I used to go almost every week or two weeks!)

8 Likes

A much lighter meal tonight after last night’s indulgence: lemon-pepper shrimp with a white wine and shallot sauce over herbed rice, with the last lonely asparagii in my fridge.

And despite last night’s indulgence, I had a glass of white wine.

20 Likes

We’ve had tapas in Spain and we’ve had tapas in NYC. I don’t care if the tapas are traditional and correct. I just care if they’re good. You seem to say that they are good. That’s good eniough for me.

5 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

It depends what you are looking for in Boston - when we lived in Boston we tried Dali and other Spanish inspired tapas places and of those Dali was the best one. At the same time when comparing to other Spanish places outside of Boston (west coast, Europe) it was just OK. Boston has a lot of excellent restaurants but I am not sure I would call Dali as a must-visit place in Boston

3 Likes

DH had a random craving for Spam and eggs, so that was dinner tonight. I didn’t grow up eating Spam and I can’t say that I’ve acquired a taste for it as an adult - it was okay, but very salty and one-note. I could see it being good as a component in fried rice or another dish where there are a lot of other textures and flavors going on, but on its own…meh. Even DH, who did grow up eating it, remarked that it wasnt as good as he remembered and that i should remind him of this next time he claims to have a craving for it. Anyone have any favorite uses for Spam?

11 Likes

I went to the grocery store intending to buy some pork chops to throw on the grill per my menu plan but by the time I got there it was starting to get cold and rainy. When I saw some relatively reasonably priced oxtails I decided to change my plan. Caribbean style brown stew oxtails with sautéed cabbage and plantains. The stew was based on a couple recipes from the Caribbean Pot Website.

12 Likes

Looks like you are eating on the patio… what time’s Dinner?:fork_and_knife:Im ready LOL…

I wish! I usually take my photos on the kitchen counter but received some “backgrounds” as a present and decided to try one out. I’m not sure what I think yet.

And you are more than welcome any time!!!

2 Likes

A new-to-me recipe for Ethiopian lentil soup from The Guardian. As we were feeling carnivorous, I added some garlicky beef meatballs to go with.

This soup was terrific. I didn’t have a chili pepper, so added ½ t. red pepper flakes, which provided just the right amount of heat for us. The berbere is said to contain cumin, paprika, various chili peppers, nutmeg, ajwan seeds, cardamom, turmeric, garlic, salt and “other spices”. It was all quite tasty, and I happily will make again, with or without the meatballs.

Fresh spinach from the garden.

19 Likes

Just mom and I tonight with BF working late. A lack of inspiration meant chicken cutlets. No frills, but no complaints either! Sides of mashed sweet potatoes and stuffed mushrooms.

To drink: mom usually has a Rob Roy 90% of the time, and sometimes my special Elderflower Gimlet. But tonight she requested something different and based on what I had on hand, I suggested an Appletini. She thought that sounded great. Kirkland Vodka. And I had a Manhattan with Kirkland Tennessee Whiskey.

20220326_194007

23 Likes

17 Likes

I have to say that all the photos are gorgeous on this platform and I’m quite enjoying them. Thank you to all!

3 Likes

Pork and beans, aka ham hock and baby limas. Garlicky, buttery avocado toast. Perfect meal for my sore throat, which was numbed with a double (quadruple?) incredibly smooth Highclere Castle gin on the rocks.

20 Likes
5 Likes

Steamed clams! Tuna collar! Lamb’s quarters with mustard greens and black radish! Can you tell I’m happy about my greenmarket haul today?

17 Likes

Quadruple sounds good!

1 Like

I make a Korean spam that my family loves. Served over rice, I think the rice cuts down on the salt content. I also like in Musubi. Which is also Asian-ish. And it’s not bad in ramen. Also Asian. So that might be the key. But not everyone likes Asian food. So, maybe these preparations are ones which wouldn’t taste good, either.

9 Likes

Sandwiches on buttered soft white sliced bread. Or straight. Yup, maybe you had to grow up eating it — or other canned ham-type products :joy:

2 Likes

A family-favorite brown rice/black beans / Rotel side dish (recipe below) served beside skillet cooked cod last night, and beside a marinated pork tenderloin today. The tenderloin was BOGO, so (per my friend who always loses track of which has been eaten) this was the FREE one.

The side dish is not at all photogenic, but it is delicious.

10 Likes